Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Why the AR-10? Your story.

• Thank you received: 12

Why the AR-10? Your story. was created by crux

What brought you to the decision to buy an AR-10?

For myself, there's a number of factors. In no particular order: American made, Interchangability and compatability with many common use AR-15 attachments and components, significance in American History as the forefather of the AR-15 (and it's contentious competition with the M14), rediscovery by the public and the military (finally serving the US Military in the form of the M110 and usurping many historical competitors for performance and accuracy, and of course, the quality and performance of modern offerings by companies that strove to deliver on the promises of the 50 year old Stoner design.
15 years 5 months ago #617

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I probably mentioned this elsewhere in the forum, but basically I finally decided to acquire an AR. However, I've never been a fan of the AR15, probably because I was originally trained on the M14, and have owned an M1A for several years. I already have a Mini-14, so I've got my 5.56mm "mousegun". My original plan was to buy a 7.62mm AR, most likely one of the new Remingtons (or DPMS), and mount a scope. However, I lucked into the Armalite AR10B at a local shop, and was immediately intrigued by the "retro" look of this modernized version of the original. The more I pondered it, the more I liked the idea of having an iron sighted AR10 to shoot along side my iron sighted M1A National Match. I already had on hand a bunch of 7.62/.308, with all the reloading stuff. Having now shot my new AR10B, I couldn't be happier with it. For me, it will be a fun gun, target gun, and collectors item. I don't contemplate any serious "tactical" use for it. And I must confess, the current run on all ARs (post election) prompted me to get going on the purchase. Beside, you can never have too many guns!
15 years 5 months ago #622

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

for me: accuracy, powerful, good reliability(as long as you take care of it), plus it looks really cool.
15 years 5 months ago #626

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HardCase on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I was probably somewhat the opposite of Hank, had carried the M-16 and have been a fan of AR-15s since the early 70s and have owned a number of them in the past several decades. I wanted a semi-auto 308, owned an H&K 91 in the early 80s but didn't care for it, big and heavy and fugly and not particulary accurate, plus it really mutilated the brass making reloading for it problematic. I sold that gun a number of years ago and was looking for a replacement. I liked both the AR-10 but was also tempted by the M1A, having qualified back in my Army days with both the 14 and the 16 despite having only carried the latter.

My reading, primarily Zedicker in "The Competitive AR-15" led me to the conclusion that both had plusses and minuses, so I remained undecided. Then one day I happened to see my AR-10T in a shop and on sale, they'd had it for a while and it hadn't sold so they'd reduced the price to move it, and it worked! I don't regret my choice, love the gun so far.
15 years 5 months ago #632

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I am a recoil junkie and an 223 just doesn't get it done.
15 years 5 months ago #639

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I don't mean to belittle the 223, but I can't help but think "oh it's so cute" when laid next to my 308 or 7.62x54R casings. My first rifle was a Mosin Nagant M91/30, so that's my calibration point for recoil.

The 223 certainly has it's uses and applications, but for a semi-auto-only Civilian Defense Rifle, I defintiely prefer .308.
15 years 5 months ago #641

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I used to own a original AR-10 almost 3 decades ago and liked the weapon a lot, but the reason I adopted it recently is primarily because of the M110 which prompted an re-evaluation of the platform for potential precision applications along the border. Based on recent research during the past year and considerable experience with other semi/selective fire 7.62 rifle platforms, including in harms way, I've decided the AR-10 along with some of the variants fit both my precision needs along with the capability of engaging multiple targets if need be. The only other platform that came close to meeting both of these needs was the M14/M1A, but the AR-10 has a few advantages over the former with the primary one being the lack of a need for future tune-ups, including re-bedding the rifle. With that being said, I have a high regard for the M14 and will state that one cannot go wrong by purchasing one.
15 years 5 months ago #646

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

AZMM, since you owned an original AR10, and now have a newer one, could you share your thoughts on the differences? I've never handled one of the originals, but have been led to believe that the new ones are less of a copy of the original, but rather a scaled up modern AR15. In other words, lots of the product improvements built into the AR15 over all these 40+ years have found their way into the newer AR10. Two big differences come to mind. Of course, the new ones (at least civilian ones) aren't selective fire, and the magazines are completely different. The magazine release is now "fenced", and the sights seem to be different. But I'd sure like to hear your thoughts.
15 years 5 months ago #652

Replied by fngmike on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I guess that for me this was a progression from the AR-15, although I have owned and do own many other rifles. A few years back I started getting the bug for an AR-10 but didn't have the funds to just go out and buy one. I also had doubts on which brand to go with. At first I thought the Bushmaster using cheap and plentiful FAL magazines was going to be the way to go. IMO, there still is a strong case for the DPMS models. I based my final decision by responses I received on some boards.

Once the ban was gone, Armalite came out with better magazines, no longer hindered by having to make M14 mags work. Last year at this time I picked up a 16" carbine upper. Then last spring I picked up a couple of stripped lowers and LPKs sans triggers. I moved a Geissele out of an AR-15 and finished one of my lowers. I've only had the chance to get my carbine upper out to the range once, but it ran flawlessly with my reloads.

Two days ago an Eagle Arms 24" match upper showed up at my door. I took advantage of Armalite's sale again this Christmas. I hope to get some reloading done here over the holiday and get this one out to the range much sooner. I'm going to use a 4895 powder instead of my normal 4064 load to see what this will do. I have faith that this will be quite the accurate rifle.

I've always liked the AR platform since the military, but it took me quite a while to own one. I really enjoy having them in .308, and some day one of my uppers will probably end up in .260. I'm just hoping we still have the opportunity to own these rifles with the legislation that's probably coming down the road.
15 years 4 months ago #786

Replied by Milgram on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I knew I wanted a 7.62, and did a lot of research into types and brands. I strongly considered a M14, but decided I wanted an AR10 because I was familiar with the AR platform, but knew nothing about the M14. I placed an order for a Rock River LAR10 at the local gun store, and waited and waited. After the second production delay, I canceled the order, and took the Armalite AR10 they had on the wall. It was $500 more, but I have been very pleased with the choice. If I had the choice over again, I would still go with the Armalite.
15 years 4 months ago #796

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!