Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Why the AR-10? Your story.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

Gents,

I've tried FN/FAL's and M1A's. Both standard version and match configurations. Both are fine rifles, but I could never overcome the wandering zero problems associated with the M-14. Mind you, I'm talking match guns. Finally, I got a good deal on a GA Precision custom AR-10 and decided to give it a try. I like it very much. The wandering zero issue has disappeared. Time will tell how rugged it is compared to the FN or the M1A platforms. So far it's looking good...
Mine likes Sierra Match Kings and went Ga-Ga over Berger's...
Life IS good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Still, when I get serious I reach for my M40A1 clone. It's nice to have choices in the safe.

Wes
15 years 4 months ago #802

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

Bought my first one in 1979 and waited for a newer version till last year. Bought an new A2 and A4.

My son now owns the A4 wiht state of the art Eotech Military and Magnifier.

zfk55
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
15 years 2 months ago #1022

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by 308WILLDO on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I became tired of my FA-91 (federal arms g-3)I fell in love with 308 there is nothing it can't do from hunting large game to stop an enemy. i wanted an M1A but i came across the AR-10T then i purchased a second complete upper with a 16" lightweight barrel for any tactical or hunting purposes i have a silencer for 308 that i use on my savage 110 custom and a weatherby with an 18" barrel i have no use for 223 it does not have the energy to be good unless its in auto fire. don't believe me shoot an 8" cinder block at 100 yards it will be there shoot it it with 308 its no longer a target.
15 years 2 months ago #1034

Replied by oak1971 on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

My AR 10 carbine was my first AR. Got a good deal. The trigger is crap and the mags are crazy expensive. Decent accuracy for 16" barrel.(1.5 moa) I ordered a PTR-91 last week, should be here soon. Mags are cheap, it comes with forearm rails and scope rail. No gas system to worry about.
I will probably keep em both. Nice to have options.
15 years 2 months ago #1086

Replied by Hillbilly1053 on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I was at my local gun shop one day, headed out of town, right before the election. I couldn't believe the run on 'black' guns that was taking place. People were, and are, afraid of losing the right to own these weapons.

So I discussed it with the shop owner and the folks around and they said the AR was of the highest quality. Then they spoke to the availability of NATO spec ammo. That part ended up being untrue. Finding good ammo (I don't care about the cost)has been very difficult so now I am learning to load-my-own.

It is a fine weapon. I have Trijicon ACOG 35x35 optics.

Unlike many, I will admit that I have bought this weaponas a primary service-type weapon. I do not trust the government that I have grown up serving and loving.

In short, it was the best decision I could make with te limited knowledge and time that I had...

[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually...I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannot say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table gets no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes, high and low, and rich and poor...
---George Mason
15 years 2 months ago #1093

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I had been considering a 308 semi auto for some time. In the end, it was down to the AR-10 or the M1A. While I thought the M1A was a more beautiful looking classic rifle, the AR-10 has a more modern design and optics are a lot easier to mount. So when AR15.com offered an AR-10 as their 2003 Special Edition Black Rifle, I bought one. In 2003 the DPMS and Rock River 308 offerings were not available. If I was starting over today, I'm not sure if I would choose the AR-10 over the Rock River 308 as I think they have an advantage on magazine availability. But I certainly would not sell my AR-10 to buy one. I think they are pretty close in overall quality. I am glad there are more options for everyone who wants a 308 caliber in the AR-15 type platform. One more thing for people to consider, if you have a cost issue, and you own an AR-15, you might consider buying a 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel upper. This could be a good option if you just have the funds for an upper. Not trying to talk anyone out of a 308 - just want you to have the opportunity to consider all options.
15 years 2 months ago #1112

Replied by dking1 on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

Chics dig it....no seriously. I've got other stuff, but nothing commands attention like a big bore semi. When a group of steel sheep stand at around 500 yards nothing rings like a .30 cal.
15 years 1 month ago #1175

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by larryg on topic Re:Why the AR-10? Your story.

I almost didn't buy my first AR10 because of BS on the internet, mostly by those who had never even seen one. It also turned out that a lot of the crap was actually about other .308/7.62x51 ARs, not the AR10.

I had compared the AR10 to other brands and like the fit and finish better, the features, the customer service, and the lifetime warranty.

Well, I finally figured out that the stuff I was reading was BS, so I got my first AR10, an A2. After owning a bunch of them, I have finally settled on the 5 I have now, 2 10Ts, 1 A4 rifle, 1 A2 carbine, and 1 A4 carbine.

They are always a hit (pun intended) at the range.
15 years 1 month ago #1181

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by MsgtBill on topic Why the AR-10? Your story.

Well I carried a M-16 in Viet Nam and liked the design but not the caliber. I was never much of a fan of the .223 even through the many so called improvements. I hunted with a Remington 700BDL, 30-06 for a few years and liked the 30 caliber but the 06 had a pretty good kick with the stock but plate and wearing a T shirt. My son has built a AR-15 and a variant of a AK-47 so at seventy years old I figured if I was going to get a new rifle and try some long range shooting it might as well be a AR-10, the fore runner of the AR-15 & M-16. So I bought one of the New Ruger SR-762's. I have since added a Harris bi-pod, Nikon M-308 - 4-16 power scope, a new but plate, and a hydraulic recoil absorber and next possible a new trigger. The rifle performs great though a bit heavy at twelve pounds with a full clip, it's a good thing I don't plan on carrying it all day or it could get to be a bear.
10 years 3 days ago #37893

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Why the AR-10? Your story.

About 12 years ago My eldest boychild was talking about getting an AR15, We was discussing it and for some reason I mentioned that if there was an AR rifle on the.308 caliber that I would get one of them.
He replied that they do make them in the.308 caliber, He jumped into the computer and found so Armalite AR10s, and so, true to My words, I have this AR10. :busted: :twothumbs: :busted:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 3 days ago #37900

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!