Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best rifle quality recommendation

• Thank you received: 0

Best rifle quality recommendation was created by JohnnyDawg1

Hey, I am new to this forum and am thinking of getting a ar10 very soon. I plan on not wanting to buy cheap and want great quality and craftsmanship. I own many other guns and know from experience that cheap is only good for your bank account. I was hoping someone could sell me on a great rifle manufacturer and model that would serve many year of use. Would like to not spend more than $2000 on basic rifle plus optics and accessories. I have been looking at the armalite ar10 national match but have not heard anything about it. Advise please, and remember I am really wanting quality.
13 years 1 month ago #7218

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by xgcakasha on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

I really like my DPMS LR-308 mainly because of the interchangeability of customizing parts. It is a well built gun and their prices are reasonable. That rifle will cost you right around $1100 give or take and then if you get a good scope you are looking at another $1000 or so. Right now, I am using a cheap scope I bought off of Ebay just to see how it holds up. So far I have had no problems, but I still want to get a proper scope with 30mm tube later on.
you can never have too many guns or too much ammo

NRA life member
13 years 1 month ago #7222

Replied by Maximus on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

If you get an Armalite get one with the match trigger. The standard trigger can be pretty bad. My first AR-10B had a terrible trigger when I got it. Installed an Armalite match trigger and it is very good. The second was an AR-10T and it came with the match trigger. It was very good out of the box.

I don't think a $1000 scope makes good use of your money. You can get a decent scope for much less than that. I have a Nikon side focus on mine. Recoil is not an issue with the AR-10 rifle.:woohoo:
13 years 1 month ago #7223

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

A great scope makes a mediocre rifle much better. The reverse isn't true. While you can occasionally find a great scope for less than $500-1000, it's the exception, rather han the rule.

As for the rifle, what features are "must have?" At a minimum figure out what you want the gun to do, what barrel length best supports that task and what type of trigger you prefer. Another key consideration is barrel material. If long barrel life is a priority or the gun is going to be driven hard, then I would recommend a barrel with a chrome lining. If this is going to be a bench/competition gun with a low round count, then I would go with a SS bull barrel.

With a budget of $2k for rifle, mounts and optics, I would look at Armalite and DPMS/Remington/Bushmaster. For glass, the usual suspects here are Leupold and Super Sniper; Vortex' Viper PST line is surprisingly good, considering the price these scopes are offered at.
RLTW
13 years 1 month ago #7224

Nothing mediocre about my Armalite AR-10T. Then again, I must be full of crap since nobody EVER agrees with me.:unsure:
13 years 1 month ago #7225

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Uncle ArmaLite on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

AR-10NM in TacticalGearMag.com
AR-10NM
Watch for a new T&E series from Gun Digest in a few weeks.
Uncle ArmaLite
13 years 1 month ago #7226

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

That wasn't my implication at all; I apologise if you interpreted it that way. Arguably, Armalite makes the best .308 AR for the money. They sweat the details - staking the castellated nut of the receiver extension, use of proper sized screws on the carrier gas key and staking those screws, double- and triple-lapping the bore, and ensuring the chamber is 7.62mm vice .308, just to name a few key areas - that other brands don't. They're a bit more expensive than some other brands, but in my mind there's value in knowing the rifle was assembled correctly with good QC oversight.

What I was trying to get at with my statement is a cheap scope is like a cheap gun - it might work fine, but there's a higher chance that something will go sideways with it than with a more expensive, higher quality scope. A gun with mediocre mechanical accuracy will benefit more from a high quality scope than with a cheap scope of uncertain origin. The reverse isn't true, though. A rifle with fabulous mechanical accuracy, such as your AR10T, will never reach the limits of what it can do with a mediocre scope.

The words "Mediocre" and "Armalite" do not go together in any way shape or form.
RLTW
13 years 1 month ago #7227

I must be getting sensitive in my old age? :dry:
13 years 1 month ago #7228

Replied by xgcakasha on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

ya i have noticed cheap scopes do not always work perfectly for long distances. the one fault i do have with mine is that objects in it are blurry on high magnification at 600+ yards. this is why i want a better quality scope later on. the cheap one so far works decent for shorter distances. will just have to wait and see how it holds up.
you can never have too many guns or too much ammo

NRA life member
13 years 1 month ago #7229

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by JohnnyDawg1 on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

I may have made a typo. I meet that I am planning on spending 2k on the ar10NM and around 1k on the scope and scope mount. Has anyone shot or own the ar10NM from armalite? It has many features which appeal to me for the price. But I dont want to pull the trigger until I hear good things about armalite and the rifle. I have never shoot an armalite so and just want to make sure the quality is great.
13 years 1 month ago #7231

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!