Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best rifle quality recommendation

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by DarkHelmet on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

13 years 1 month ago #7233

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

If your budget for the rifle alone is $2k, then I'd still look HARD at the Armalite NM or their SuperSASS. But for a little more than 2K, I'd also look at the LMT MWS and the LaRue PredatAR, which is based on their highly successful OBR. Shooting both the LMT and the LaRue was what pushed me to buying a 7.62 AR.

The NM rifle you are interested in is a very good rifle indeed. But know this - Armalite made some changes to the geometry of the receiver (IOT increase reliability) and uses a proprietary barrel nut and magazine. At the Armalite site, they have a link to their technical notes library. I would recommend perusing it in order to gain a better understanding of Armalite's products. On the surface, it tends to limit the use of after-market parts and mags. Midwest Industries, Daniel Defense, and Noveske are but three of the after-market companies that make Armalite specific components. That said, Armalite itself markets a full line of accesories built to the same high standards as it's complete rifles. In my experience, Armalite doesn't sell junk. While I haven't had any issues with my rifle, I have called Armalite a time or two on a couple of tech questions I had. I've always been treated nicely and when the CS rep realized he couldn't answer my question, I was quickly referred to someone who could.
An HWS w/a 3x magnifier on an FTS mount is a good set up for a 5.56 carbine. IMO, you'd be better served with a low to mid power variable, say 1-4x or the traditional 3-9x. Food for thought when you get tired of your current set-up. Comps are effective, but they tend to make you an unpopular person on the firing line of your range. Just sayin'...
What sort of scope are you running? Most scopes, regardless of price point, come with a focus adjustment ring on the eyepiece. Without knowing the particulars of the scope, that's the first thing I'd check.
RLTW
13 years 1 month ago #7234

Replied by xgcakasha on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

I have a cheap scope I bought off of ebay. I have tried adjusting the focus ring on it but on higher magnification settings, it is still blurry no matter where you set it. The scope is a U.A.G. 8-32x50. It works just fine until you get up into the higher magnification settings and at 600+ yards. I am going to get a Leupold Mark 4 eventually, but for now this one will do. Just makes it tough to see the faces of the zombies I am aiming at when they are far away,but I can still hit them between the eyes where it counts....
you can never have too many guns or too much ammo

NRA life member
13 years 1 month ago #7238

If no amount of focus adjustment, either at the eyepiece or AO, will bring the target into sharp relief at higher magnifications then I would say it sounds like the lenses in the scope aren't in proper alignment. The more you crank up the mag, the worse this misalignment shows itself. This is pretty common with inexpensive scopes and it also promotes eye fatigue as your Mk1 eyeball strains to compensate.
RLTW
13 years 1 month ago #7244

see how the are????!!! :dry: trying to fatigue me poor little eyes.... :pinch: i knew it was all a conspiracy to get me to buy that leupold scope sooner...

NRA life member
13 years 1 month ago #7246

Become a member of Sniper's Hide and check out the "Optics for sale" Forum. You can find some pretty good deals on occasion. Buying that Loopy might be cheaper than you think;). Also check Midway USA, they normally have some pretty good scopes on special. I picked up a Weaver 3-10x for $305, shipped. I usually turn up my nose at $300 scopes, but this one's pretty good; I'm fairly impressed with the level of clarity and quality of the build.
RLTW
13 years 1 month ago #7268

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by 62flint on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

I have a armalite ar-10 national match. It shoots .5moa from a bench with federal gold medal match ammo.
I would buy another armalite.
13 years 1 month ago #7270

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by larryg on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

Well, to be the bad guy here, if you are looking at to get an AR10, there is only one company that makes the AR10.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by larryg.
13 years 1 month ago #7274

@ larryg - hey you do have a point about there only being one company that makes the ar10.... and @ lebbenb i will check out that site to see if i can get loopy for less $$$.

NRA life member
13 years 4 weeks ago #7295

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Uncle ArmaLite on topic Re: Best rifle quality recommendation

Folks,here's a new review about our M-15 National Match. It's very much like its bigger brother the AR-10NM. This is part 2 of the review. Part 1 is an embedded link in the first few sentences.
ArmaLite M-15 National Match
Hope it helps.
Uncle ArmaLite
13 years 3 weeks ago #7298

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!