Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10T not cycling, please help

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR-10T not cycling, please help

Sisco brought up a good point about the gas ring, there should be three split rings (usually chrome plated) on the end of the bolt (gas ring). The breaks in these three rings should not line up if they do adjust them so they do not line up it can cause cycling problems.www.bing.com/images/search?q=AR+gas+ring...425&selectedIndex=16
This is how it should look they are all staggered. Sometimes we forget these little things and take for granted that others know this kind of detail.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 3 months ago #44030

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR-10T not cycling, please help

Of carburetors and shocks and piston rings; gas blocks and buffer groups and gas rings.

In the high perf car world those little items can have a major effect on your cars performance. And the same goes for tuning that carb...errr gas block and adjusting those shocks...err buffer group.

In the world of fast cars just like in the world of AR's there is more snake oil being sold than you can imagine (not saying JP is snake oil). But throwing on a 750 CFM, dual fuel feed, double pumper does not instantly translate into more go power. The trick is in adjusting it. Bolt on a set of 50/50 down-locks on the rear and 90/10 up lifts on the front and you will see some serious weight transfer as you make your run down the 1320...but then go to drive home on that shock combo and the rear will transmit every pebble in the road and the front end will bounce around like a rubber ball.

Again, its all in the tuning to make that puppy run, run well and run how you want.

I can pick up any number of catalogs and find a dazzling array of AR replacement parts each guaranteed to make it shoot further, faster and jump higher. Some parts do in fact add a performance measure, some only are a solution in search of a problem and if they cannot find a problem they will create one you need to solve.

Any chance of you getting your hands on a OEM gas block and seeing if the problem is still there, same goes for the buff-group.

WHY did the previous owner install a gas block? To solve a problem?

Same same buff-group, problem to be solved or just bought some fancy add ons to increase your HP and decrease 1/4 mi times.

My 10T does not have any of those goodies and does not have any problems either, since its not broke I have not tried to fix it.

I will second Libs thinking on the gas rings...we don't align out gaps on the rings on a piston, its allows blow-by, defeating the purpose of the rings to begin with...

See if you can do a revert back to OEM state and test that, if it works add a component be it gas block or buffer group, see if the issue raises its ugly head.

Let us know how it all plays out for you...
9 years 3 months ago #44033

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR-10T not cycling, please help

Your AR-10 should not have the three split rings but the single McFarland ring;

www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA10...98-9d3e-c76eaa613b0a

No need to keep the splits separate so unless they are very worn the gas rings shouldn't be the issue. Dimensions to check for wear are provided in the link.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by jtallen83.
9 years 3 months ago #44035

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR-10T not cycling, please help

Thanks for the correction JT. I have never scene one of these (McFarland Ring)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 3 months ago #44038

Several AR-15 makers are going with them, Brownells sells them for AR-15's;

www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system...-ring-prod60388.aspx

I always thought it was odd that Armalite lists them for the AR-10 bolts but not the M15's, I'll have to check my M15TBN when I get home and see what it has.
Here is an old post on it;

www.ar10t.com/forums/25-ar-10-discussion...-mcfarland-gas-rings
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #44039

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by SubaruEJ25 on topic AR-10T not cycling, please help

By squishy, i just meant because of all the oil on the bolt. It still has a crisp realease. I do not have the original gas block or stock. The stock was replaced with a Magpul PRS, i will check the buffer tube when i get home tonight and the bolt ring too.
9 years 3 months ago #44040

Here is a good troubleshooting guide from the Armalite tech notes;

www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tec...Diagnos%E2%80%A6.pdf
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 3 months ago #44048

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by SubaruEJ25 on topic AR-10T not cycling, please help

Sorry gents, I had a bit of an ear infection that kept me away from the range for a few days. Today I shot a mixed bag of ammo... Portuguese surplus, PPU match, Colt/Barnaul 168, some 165 gr hand loads. I probably went through about 50 rounds or so and everything fed and ejected perfectly. Looks like the lube job worked. I will post up some pics of my beauty in the next day or 2. Thanks again!!
9 years 3 months ago #44061

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR-10T not cycling, please help

Glad to hear that. A well made rifle built to close tolerances will often need a break in. Now is the fun part. Enjoy the H__l out of it! :thumbs:
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 3 months ago #44062

:twothumbs: Shoot the shit out of it, you're gonna love it!
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #44063

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!