Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scope Mounts/ Rings

• Thank you received: 1

Scope Mounts/ Rings was created by SamXBones

What are you guys using for scope mounts? I had a hell of a time getting a set of rings to fit a 2.5-10X50 Tasco to my AR10 A4. They were all too low, and I ended up having to mount it hella far back, so now my charging handle is partially obstructed by my scope, and I'm struggling a little with eye relief.

Just wondering what you guys are using...
14 years 2 months ago #3191

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Scope Mounts/ Rings

Hi SamXBones-

I'm using Badger Ordinance rings. They are somewhat pricey but they are very well constructed. They are also heavier than some other rings out there but what makes them top in my book are the serial matched pairs.

You can check out the options at Brownells

I would also recommend getting the tactical latch.
14 years 2 months ago #3192

Replied by SamXBones on topic Re:Scope Mounts/ Rings

Mlotziii,

What size objective lens are you using? Are you clearing the handguards ok? That's the problem I was having...

Thanks,

Sam
14 years 2 months ago #3193

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Scope Mounts/ Rings

50 mm leupold w/ a 30 mm tube. I have the MAX 50 rings on my AR-10T. It clears the handguard ok but I have a free float tube so in terms of removing the handguards I don't have to worry about that.

If I were to buy new rings I would get either the MAX 50 ultra high or the regular ultra high rings. The MAX 50 have six screws holding the scope tube in place where the regular version has four screws.

The other option would be to buy a one piece quick release scope base. There are some from LaRue Tactical. Unless you are trying for a tack-driver you should not have any problems in terms of losing your zero.
14 years 2 months ago #3194

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Scope Mounts/ Rings

There are 2 different methods on the scope mounting here. The first is the competition stuff. We are using the Lepould QRW rings and a Hahn riser if needed. The QRWs give one of the best off and on zeros of any ring which alow the iron sights to go on and off fast. They usually repete to within 5 inches at the 1000yd line. The reason the sights go off and on is the same rifle rule and there is 4 matches shot a day. The high power matches start with iron sights and go to the scope and then finish with the irons.
The 2nd way of mounting scopes is using Tacital Precisions rings which are offered in 2 types aluminum and steel. The steel ones are a little heavier duty than the Badger and Night Force rings and half the price. They are accurate and need no lapping and have heavy duty clamps. We made a tool steel base to shear test rings and the Tacital Precision stuff faired the best. The idea was to see who was the toughest and that ment using a press with good gauges.
The only thing that makes no sense is the 10.1 MM spacing of the picatinny rail. It took a real rocket scientist to add that .1 MM and not keep it on an even 10 mm spacing that goes to show how far the Europeans will distort the metric system to screw with Americans.MSH
14 years 2 months ago #3195

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Scope Mounts/ Rings

Well of course I am going to jump in on this one....Sam, what do you want to spend....is the big question.
I and a few others that I have converted to, have the LaRue Tactical
Mounts...I will give you the link....These mounts are not cheap..but they work great...they are a QD mount that has a return to Zero, and they do..and if I may, not sure as to which tasco you have, but you may want to upgrade your scope to a better one, this comes from the voice of experience, mine ate two before I bought my Leupold.
So here is the link to check out LaRue..go down to the bottom for the scope mounts...
stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categ...ategory=Optic+Mounts
there is one other option for you...go to the front page and go down to other articles....read the one on Economical Add-ons. The GG&G riser might work for you also...
www.ar10t.com/components/handguards/Economical-Add-Ons.html
the link to the article...
Hope it helps..
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 2 months ago #3198

Replied by SamXBones on topic Re:Scope Mounts/ Rings

BMS et al.,

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to get those LaRue QD mounts.
The Tasco scope was a quick fix, it's all the dealer had in the shop when I picked up my rifle.

I thought it would at least come with a set of iron sights... For 1.5K... Which is a great segway into my next newb question;

Anyone have a recommendation for a set of good flip-ups?

I'm planning on getting those snap-on rails that you recommended as well BMS.

What sort of Leupold are you using BMS?

MSH, I never heard from your marine friends, but I did hook up with the Puuloa Gun Club, not sure if you're familiar with them or not. I went out as their range medic last weekend and was able to fire mine for the first time from the 200m line. It help decent groups for a someone new to shooting a scoped rifle from the prone with a harris.

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

Sam Bones
14 years 1 month ago #3205

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Scope Mounts/ Rings

The marines have sent me an email about you and said they would take care of you but he was in CO at the time. I'm sending some screws to him this week so hit me on my regular email and I will find the jarheads and and update him and you.MSH
14 years 1 month ago #3206

Sam, I know what you mean by a "quick fix", when I went to pick mine up, the only red dot they had was that POS bushnell. It was cheap and worked for a time...but I have since replaced it with the Burris XTS-135...
My leupold is the Mark 2, now all but obsolete, it is being replaced by the Mark AR...which is mainly for AR-15, but you can get it up to a 6x18x40, much like my Mark 2. When you come up with a $$$$$ amount that you want to spend on optics let us know and you will get a vast array of suggestions, most will not be cheap....I do have to say that for the gun, the Mark 2 is adequate at best...it is a bit under-powered for the round and rifle...but it works,....out to 400 to 500 yards depending on your level of marksmanship..
On the sights, well first off let me say that there are many to choose from for the rear sights, but only a few companies make the right sight for the gas block....the ones I have are from MidWest Industries...MI...I have the ERS and the flip up front sight for the AR-10 gas block....here is their link...
www.midwestindustriesinc.com/

here is another link to MI
www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?f...play&category_id=291

They are durable for back ups, but again, it all depends on what you want to spend....they make great and affordable stuff...

One other note, not to toot my own horn, check out the article in the article category, it will give you a good idea on some ways to equip you weapon....
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 1 month ago #3208

Oh I almost forgot, don't order you mount until you figure out which rear sight you want....The LT-104 will need a Low-profile sight, the one I have is the LT-135 which sets up abit higher and will clear my rear sight with no problem....
BMS

14 years 1 month ago #3209

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!