Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

• Thank you received: 20

ArmaLite AR-10 trademark. was created by ARMALITE TR

While I'm new here to this website I'm not new to the semi-auto world. My reason for this topic is simple; to clear up a misconception that the term "AR-10" is a generic term used by some to describe their non-ArmaLite rifle. Why does ArmaLite object to other companies calling their rifles “AR-10"?

First, we object because they aren’t AR-10®s. The AR-10 is a special rifle manufactured by ArmaLite. Second, the model term “AR-10® is a registered ArmaLite trademark and may be used only on ArmaLite rifles or rifles made under license.

ArmaLite spent a lot of money producing the AR-10 when no one else would. We have spent a lot of time building the name and reputation of this rifle and trademark law requires us to prevent others from infringing on the trademark.

In addition, assuring that our model designation is properly used only with our rifle reduces the likelihood of owners of problematic lower-grade semiautomatic 308 rifles from referring to their problems as “AR-10 problems”.

I just thought this needed to be said.

TR
ArmaLite
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii
12 years 9 months ago #8060

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

Eveyone want's to have there rifles include the Name AR since you have made such a awsome rifle :woohoo: , guess you should take it as a compliment although that is not the issue :pinch: . If I were to design a new rifle I would also like to keep it in the AR platform woops :S here we go again, sorry, but you guys got it right, so what can I say B)
AKAI
12 years 9 months ago #8097

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

I certainly understand your position. Most people tend to use the term AR10 as a catch-all without realizing the differences in the various platforms and manufacturers.

As I read your post I was reminded of my childhood in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. All soft drinks were Cokes.

"Do you want a Coke?"

"Sure."

"What kind?"

"Dr. Pepper, if you have it."
RLTW
12 years 9 months ago #8101

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

While it is a pain in the rear, Armalite ought to continue to fight to protect the trademark. There are lots of generic words in the common lexicon that were once patented trademarks, but then lost legal protection because of their widespread common use. Aspirin comes to mind. I'm not a lawyer (thank the Lord!), but that's what I've read. Keep on truckin', Armalite. But the way, I have one of the now discontinued AR10Bs, with the old style Pegasus logo. I love it!
12 years 9 months ago #8134

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

After All......AR stands for ArmaLite...... B)
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 9 months ago #8136

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

I do want to add...that some state they have a AR-10 and it's incorrect and confusing....Not to long back...a New member had some issues with his "AR-10"...as I tried to advice him on parts....it turned out to be a DPMS LR.308 ...so all the info I gave him was incorrect because of the "misconception" of the Style and Brand of the Rifle....
As I said.....
AR stands For ArmaLite....as history states... B)
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 9 months ago #8189

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

Here is the problem: While I fully concur with your view, it really boils down to what we generically call the weapons group. I refer to it as the AR platform, from way back times, 'AR 15', should we call it the 'M 16 platform'?

In other words when discussing the genial world of the many, many brands out there what do we refer to when speaking of the group of them.

The "Coke" was a good example, here is another one: "Jeep" or "Kleenex", or "Xerox". These 4 have attained 'icon' status as ruled by courts and when that happens you lose some of your singularity.

In my travels on various forums in and out of the AR group, AR has become a very generic and ubiquitous term.

I fully support your position and will my best to not use it generically.
12 years 2 months ago #10269

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

Yes, We are part of the OG's and love are ArmaLite rifles ;) Give me my Coke! But the RC's and the AMC's they all have there place (and most of the time that's what I had), wish I had my ATARI back! thanks for being around too keep us all straight! What type of AR platform are you currently shooting the -15 and is it doing it's job? also just got my .36cal Navy 1851 now I'm thinking I might need two :whistle: .44 would be nice :evil:
AKAI
12 years 2 months ago #10270

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

When I was looking for my first .308 "Modern Sporting Rifle" I didn't know about the trademark issue, so they were all AR-10s. It didn't help that the AR-15 is (or seems to be) open architecture, meaning that the dimensions are standardized and anyone can call their gun an AR-15 (or maybe Colt licenses the name). But these days I use the term correctly, and fully support Armalite's trademark. And I'm proud that my .308 "Modern Sporting Rifles" say Armalite B)

Charlie (will have a Coke coke)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: cydweli
12 years 2 months ago #10295

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: ArmaLite AR-10 trademark.

I guess the question is!?!? Just what do we call the group of guns when we refer to them"

AR-Type

M 16

??????

I will go with with whatever works...
12 years 2 months ago #10298

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!