Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

DPMS SASS Barrel?

• Thank you received: 5

DPMS SASS Barrel? was created by Blownchevy

I've had my SASS for a few years and read a lot of forums on the net. Stating the SASS isn't very accurate. I have never been real satisfied on my groups and I have bought quality ammo. From Hornady 168 match, HSM 168 V-Max match, HSM 155 V-Max Match and loaded my own with 168 HPBT match. I know it could have a lot to do with the shooter. If you guy were going to buy a new barrel what would be the best?
10 years 10 months ago #24446

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

Noveske
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 10 months ago #24450

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Blownchevy on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

What length would you recommend ?
10 years 10 months ago #24460

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

There are better minds than mine that can help you with this but if you describe exactly what you want to do with it like hog hunting, long distance shooting only, etc., that will certainly help the guys with the in-depth knowledge for that technique to better assist you BC.

Try and figure out exactly what your hopes are for the rifle and that will pigeon hole the question enough so the advice will be more accurate to your needs.

Sharkey
10 years 10 months ago #24461

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

Really.....?? It seems there are all kinds of people on here getting very tight groups..... I've only been able to shoot mine a couple of 30-40 round sessions so far... Still getting used to it...... I'm going to be very disappointed if it isn't sub one inch at a hundred yards...... Shoot.. I've been reading the 16 inch carbine is getting under an inch groups...... I'll find out about both in time....
10 years 10 months ago #24466

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

The FIRST thing I want to ask is HOW accurate is YOUR SASS?

I have been on the internet for well over 30 years. At first it was us engineers talking to other engineers and research scientists and all was good with DARPA NET. But alas, times have changed and today we have more experts on more subjects than at anytime in history.

I have met MORE: Snipers, SEALs, Rangers, SF, SOCOM folks in the past 2 years than I ever knew on Active duty.

So for someone, ANYone to post that AR SASS is an inaccurate weapon and apply that to ALL SASS, then clearly they must be a Sniper, SEALs, Ranger, SF, SOCOM :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IF I were to buy a barrel it would be a krieger www.kriegerbarrels.com

I have talked with them several times and met with their engineers, I was impressed and I don't impress easy!

As for length, well that becomes a difficult question. What is your end game. Where do you want to live? The 7.62 is a 800 yd rd with the right bbl and cartridge configuration. Optimally you are in the 20-24" range if that is your home on the range and you do not want to compromise...

There are a lot of excellent bbl manuf out there. I would go with a manuf that sells a complete finished bbl. I do not believe that Noveske manuf their bbls but rather obtains partial completed bbls and then finishes them. Does that mean that Noveske (or any other company that does same) applies anti-seize to the bbl if threaded, or just wipes it off with a rag??? I know of companies that in fact don't do much more than that and still claim they produce the end product.

I would go with an older company with a history of success and that makes the bbl complete. I do not like passing off engineering duties from one company to another, but maybe that is just me...
10 years 10 months ago #24468

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

LOL Too true. I'd love to be able to pull off the accuracy that many claim they get from a rack grade <insert rifle> bought at wallyworld with factory ammo. I really truly would. If I could get even halfway to those claims, I would drop everything and start my new career in the competitive shooting circuit.

But ya know all us salvation army recon delta seal snipers, protecting those trade secrets are why we sell turkey jerky at gun shows.

anyway.
krieger & lija, are good barrels if it is worth it to you. I don't know much about DPMS but I would imagine any barrel maker worth it, can fit the correct barrel extension for your brand. Noveske is a good choice, but I thought they did armalite, have to check on that. I believe fulton armory does DPMS and they may have a barrel that will fit your needs.

Barrel length.....What are you wanting to do?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 10 months ago #24471

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

LOL, love it! Sad there are so many phony soldiers out there. Everyone is trying to be a hero and an keyboard expert.
10 years 10 months ago #24476

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

Wish I could find my post with pictures of a three shot and 20 shot groups, it is on here somewhere but I must not have put it in my photo file here :whistle: . I haven't found any 150 gr. ammo that wont shoot 1 moa at a hundred yards in my AR-10 basic flat top if I do my part, even belted Pakistani surplus! My first 5 round group after getting it on paper was one ragged hole, still blows me away! Seems odd a SASS wouldn't do better?????
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #24489

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

Get a hold of a machine rest, and see how your groups are. Until you take out most of the human equation, you cant really tell how accurate the weapon is. Then experiment with ammo to see what it likes.
10 years 10 months ago #24496

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!