Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

DPMS SASS Barrel?

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

:I-agree: I should have mentioned that the five round ragged hole was off a lead sled, otherwise I usually throw a flyer at least once in five.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #24500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

In the back of the manual for my DPMS LR-308, they talk a bit about what kind of accuracy to expect. Apparently during test firing, groups range from 1.5" to 1/8th inch (measured on centers, of course). The high end of that is still pretty good for a factory rifle, but the fact that some of them shoot so much better makes me wonder about the consistency of their manufacturing (of barrels especially).

Just because they don't get mentioned often, I suggest looking at Lothar-Walther.

Also, I've had good luck with Criterion barrels.

-

Another thing you can do to check the accuracy of a rifle, without having a lead sled or a machine rest, is to let someone else shoot your rifle. It should be someone whom you know shoots well. If they do the same as you with the same ammunition, then it's a safe bet that it's not you. If they do better, then they may be able to give you an idea what they're doing different.

Example:

Recently, I helped someone with a rifle that wasn't shooting as accurately as it should have been. There was a big difference between our groups. It turned out that my friend had not been paying attention to the wind. There was a strong periodic head wind and shooting while it was blowing made a huge difference in group dispersion. Every shot fired in the wind was a flier. Every shot during a calm was right on target.

-

I doubt it's anything that simple if it's been shooting poorly over a long period of time, but it's worth a try.
10 years 10 months ago #24510

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Blownchevy on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

Thanks every1 I was out of town at our property in north west Nevada. If any of you are on 80 and pass through winnemucca, and want to shoot I have a range I have been building with targets out to 1000. I also build 8" swinger they are setting at 300 and 400. What I'm looking to do is be able to shoot a three shot group with all touching. I do it all the time with my 223 Bushmaster varmeter. Also have no problem with my McMillan Tach 50 and Barret 107. Seems all my rifles I can achieve this except my SASS. This is the rifle I shoot the most to. Heck I can put a tighter group with my Mathews Z7 @ 20 then I can with SASS @ 100. I really appreciate all the info. I would like a upper with-out all the rails on for grip to lighten it up and here in the desert hunting the shots can be as far as you are willing to take. So on barrel length would slightly longer be better in my case?
10 years 10 months ago #24599

You can get out to 1000 yards with a .308 that has a 20 inch barrel.

The important thing to remember about longer (than 20") barrels is that in order to gain a significant amount of velocity, you need to use a slower burning powder (assuming you're reloading). If you're using factory ammunition, you probably won't notice much of a difference past 20 inches.
10 years 10 months ago #24601

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

You get rounds touching with a 107? I'm impressed. I never did better than minute of engine block at 1k. That thing was a mess.

Yes. Living out in your slice of heaven, I'd say a 24" barrel would make more sense, if you are ok swinging the length around. Not sure 26" would bring anything worthwhile to the table. 1000 is the edge of .308 anyway, so nothing gained by going overboard, diminishing returns and all that. 24" is easier to load for staying above transonic than a 20".
If I lived out there, I'd have a much easier time justifying .338L.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by 13fcolt. Reason: spellin
10 years 10 months ago #24603

It's true, Colt. You can do a little bit about retained velocity by using a more aerodynamic bullet, but a higher starting velocity almost never hurts.
10 years 10 months ago #24605

Wait, 1000 yards holes touching I wish. I'm talking at a 100! I have had a lot of time shooting a thousand and when I hit in the 15" circle I'm verry happy. For quite some time I couldn't hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I wouldn't be shooting at 1000 much with 308 with. I was just wanting a barrel that would be great for target and shooting out to 7-8 for hunting. I also reload and I will try your suggestions to.
10 years 10 months ago #24609

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

oops. My bad. I should pay more attention to my wording. I was trying to relate my experience with the M107. I didn't mean it like that. I just never got anywhere near MOA at any distance. Anyone that can get a good group with that thing has my respect.

For 7-8 with the .308 you can save yourself some bulk and weight with a 20"-18" barrel. I shoot 1k with a 20" but it can be a bit of a headache getting the velocity up. Most factory ammo wont cut it.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 10 months ago #24610

338 would be a great addition, I have looked at them for the fact they would be a lot more mobile than the 50. I bought the Barret 416 upper for my 107 that's a impressive round, the gun is still a monster. I have large game hunting rifles like 300 ultra and 7mm ultra both in rem 700. I would like one day to get the 338, for some reason I have always shot my semi auto rifles better in the AR frame. Must be a mental block. Thanks again I will look into getting a 20" barrel,
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Blownchevy. Reason: Wrong length
10 years 10 months ago #24632

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic DPMS SASS Barrel?

Well I know where you live and suprised you don't have a 10,000 meter range. I have driven that twice in cross country trips and that puts the NO in NOWHERE.

Your SASS should be shooting a lot tighter. Now its the old engineer in me but were it my gun I would try and to to find out WHY. You might want to talk to AR about it.

You bbl could be the issue as could a few other things.

Have you analyzed your groups 1 rd at a time on a 5 rd shoot, then can you repeat the spread? If you are getting a spread that is way outside the parameters. Bbl not straight, bad spot in the rifling that is getting worse. It may be worth to send your bbl out and have it inspected to see if it a good one and if possible eliminate that as a factor.
10 years 10 months ago #24638

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!