Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10 Barrel Manufacturers

• Thank you received: 0

AR-10 Barrel Manufacturers was created by Hoss0013

Anyone have a good line on a supplier/manufacturer of AR-10 barrels that isn't busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest these days? I want to rebarrel my LR308AP4 with a nice long range bull barrel, but I can barely get DPMS to call or write back and plus I don't want to wait forever. Anyone have any experience with arpartskits.com (Blackthorne Products)? What are the good alternatives to the usual suppliers? Thanks,
Hoss
15 years 6 months ago #314

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:AR-10 Barrel Manufacturers

Hoss0013
I make up barrels up weekly. Have 05 and 06 national wins with my shooters. See Lilja web site. What do you need.
MSH
15 years 6 months ago #315

Replied by Hoss0013 on topic Re:AR-10 Barrel Manufacturers

Thanks. I'm interested in a 20" true bull, stainless, standard rifling and twist, with an aggressive muzzle piece, chambered, with an A2 sight gas block(I've recently seen these online) that is ready for swapping out with my LR308AP4 receiver. I'd definitely be interested in what you can offer.
Hoss
15 years 6 months ago #318

Other modifications I'm interested in: positioning the gas block at the same location/distance from the receiver as the 16" barrel would be to keep the carbine length free float, as well as a black dura-coat type treatment if possible. And actually just threading the muzzle would be all I need, and maybe a 1:12 twist, in addition to a A2 sight gas block. Thanks again.
15 years 6 months ago #321

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Hoss0013 I make them up for Del-ton like that often. Get your stuff together and that wont be an issue. I only use Lilja barrels so if your serious contact Lilja and get your barrel blank shiped. You will need a new set of locking lugs ie (barrel extention)and any of the other parts to be added on. DPMS or Armilite locking lugs are interchangeable.
MSH
15 years 6 months ago #323

Trouble is I can't get serious until I know how much $$$ I'm looking at. I emailed Lilja and so will what to hear from them, as well as a few other sites to see what is readily available before I spend money on a custom job. I'm also going to check with local resources to see who might be able to modify a basic barrel package that's already available. I will let you know. Thanks,
Hoss
15 years 6 months ago #324

Replied by nitetrain on topic Re:AR-10 Barrel Manufacturers

Im going through the same situation since armalite quit making a 24"T model they only make a 20" now.Want a long range rifle and my friend wants to purchase my ar-10 t but I will not sell if I cant replace with any just as good or better . Krieger has a 26"sst 1:12 and Lothar Walther has a 26"sst barrel also dont know wich is better of the 2.Do you know or anyone know if this would improve accuracy ?Is fluting better ?
15 years 2 months ago #886

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

nitetrain
Keep what you got advise your friend to buy the DPMS or Rem 25 (same rifle). I see them at all of the shows. I use only Lilja barrels and can be contacted through Lilja if you want long range barrels. Fluting is never a good idea, no more than 2oz can ever be saved on any barrel with it. Twist works off of the length of the bullet not the weight. Example a 17cal bullet 1.5" long that is 20grs needs a 3 twist. The new Sierra 155gr palma bullet is going to need a 10 twist instead of the 13 twist because its longer. Parts will free up later on so just sit tight and shoot what you got. Learn to use your 20" barrels untill then. I remember my dad in the early 60s after he had won his last world cup giving me a good lesson with the 308 and 20" barrels shooting ground hogs well beyound 800 yards. I have a great bullet twist cal to length chart but I am to dumb to learn how to post it.MSH
15 years 2 months ago #892

Replied by nitetrain on topic Re:AR-10 Barrel Manufacturers

I have the 24"barrel AR-10T thats the one my friend wants buy told him the only way I will sell is if he replaces the rifle with just as good or better . Since Armalites new AR-10T only come with a 20"barrel I told him to cover the cost or split the cost for a 26"barrel and the new aluminum handgaurds are nice on the new rifle .Sure I would be getting a new rifle but the 20"barrel isnt as good for long range as a 24" and wouldnt a 26" be even better ?Since I dont much about barrels what would you recomend on twist rate on a 26"barrel ? I heard that fluting makes a barrel more rigid takes out the whip when the bullet travels through it ,saves on weight ,and better for cooling is this true?Krieger told me 1:12 twist is best ,have not talked with Lilja yet ,which is the best ?SORRY so many question but one big delima here.
15 years 2 months ago #894

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Your not gaining much going from a 24" to a 26" barrel aprox 40 FPS. See (6BR.com)web site, read the 308 section for a good example. You get the best gain moving the gas manifold 2" forward
re-timming a new barrel for the most push on the bullet per say. Twist works on the length of the bullet, so how long is your bullet? A 10 twist works well on the sierra 190gr to the new 155gr palma bullet. They fall in that length range. The old 155gr needs a 12 to 13 twist. Barrels that are fluted will not pulltest as much or stay as straight when fired. Check the machinest hand book. Fluting gives more surface area and will cool better. Fluting will only yeild a couple of oz on weight. Barrels tend to shoot better at the mean temp that is quite warm and where there is not alot of varance. I know that will stir up a mess but in the winter matches I and the other top competers heat our barrels with a propane tourch before our relay is called to the line. And at the 1000yd line there is unlimited sighters so 8 to 12 sighters to heat more to stabilize is not un common. I don't want to get in a mess with John Krieger but we have a blunder bust barrel here at the shop that come off of a palma teem members rifle who was the 05 national champion that is .0016 out of round at the muzzle. I will be glad to share it and an indicator for all to see. It shot good but thats sloppy work and changes the bullet aerodinamics. The Lilja 3 groove barrels have .0008 land to groove deepth. They tend to last longer and keep the aero up on the bullets. Less deformation on the jacket. Most barrels have .0015 to .0022 land to groove depth. Thats a bunch and thats why the 5R barrels were the new fad for a while. Think about this, the life of your barrel is only 4 to 5 sec per 1000 to 1500 rounds. $300.00 blank for 5 sec, sounds like a cheap Vegas cat house is a better deal just for the fun of it. The best combos that I have found on these rifles for long range is a 260,243 or 6-250. They all shoot flat. Usualy only 28 minutes or less off your 200yd "0" at 1000yds. I sale more 6-250 barrels than anything else.
15 years 2 months ago #895

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!