Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

• Thank you received: 0

JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative was created by Bringsteen

My LR 308 had a loose upper/lower fit, so I installed the JP AR Tension Pin. It definitely does the trick. However it shoots loose unless you apply some threadlocker. This is a problem if you are benchresting it and you want to clean the bore regularly. You have to break the threadlocker free and then reapply it once you've cleaned the bore.

My question is whether there is an alternative. There is an AccuWedge for the AR-15, but I see no such product for the AR-10.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Bringsteen
12 years 10 months ago #7856

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

A foam earplug.
RLTW
12 years 10 months ago #7861

Replied by Bringsteen on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

That's an interesting suggestion. I wonder whether that would tighten up the groups to the same extent that the JP AR Tension Pin has.

Thanks,

Bringsteen
12 years 10 months ago #7882

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

How about trying one of these expanding diameter pins from McMaster-Carr. Easy in - easy out.
www.mcmaster.com/#pins/=cuzwhd
12 years 10 months ago #7883

That looks like it might be the perfect solution! Has anyone tried it? If they were $20, I would have already ordered one, but they're about $100 and up.
12 years 10 months ago #7891

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

Bringsteen,

I guess you could look at $100 as being a lot for the pin, but what is your time worth? A mechanic charges $85+ per hour to work on your car, so using this as a cost basis, it would be worth only 1.5 hours of your time or you can keep struggling with your current method of using threadlocker. How long does it take to keep cleaning and reapplying the threadlocker over and over again each time you visit the range? Obviously, you're frustrated about using your threadlocker method.

Enjoy your shooting more. Invest in yourself and buy the pin. Your wife will eventually forgive you, hahahaha. :-)

Jer
12 years 10 months ago #7916

If it were known to do the job, I would've already purchased it. I guess I might need to be the guinea pig. But I can't argue with your reasoning.

What sort of confuses me is that no one else on this site seems to deal with this problem. Does everyone else just have a perfect upper/lower fit on their rifles?
12 years 10 months ago #7933

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

"What sort of confuses me is that no one else on this site seems to deal with this problem. Does everyone else just have a perfect upper/lower fit on their rifles?[/quote]
My Armalite is rock solid!
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 10 months ago #7936

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

I'm an Armalite owner as well and every Armalite I've worked on in the last few years tended to built tight. I'm not trying to be a shill for Armalite, nor am I casting aspersions on other manufacturers, just giving my experiences.

I have to ask - If the rifle isn't grouping to your expectations without the tensioning pin or you suspect that the upper/lower fitment isn't what it should be, have you contacted DPMS about the issue?
RLTW
12 years 10 months ago #7937

There's not an excessive amount of play, but it's enough that the standard pin can be readily inserted and removed, and you can feel some play when putting pressure on the trigger. With the JP AR Tension Pin in, the accuracy does improve. It's accurate without the tension pin; it's even more accurate with the tension pin.
12 years 10 months ago #7945

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!