Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tom S. on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

Maybe you could take a standard pin and use an engraver on it to raise the surface and make it a tighter fit. The engraver I'm talking about is one of those electric 'buzz' types you can buy for around $10 if you don't happen to have one.
12 years 10 months ago #7946

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

Not knocking what you suggested with the engraver, but I don't think that will last. Might be better off with the foam ear plug or expansion pin from Mcmaster, otherwise you might have to go to a machine shop and have them take the hole to your tolerances and put in a oversize pin. Right on with LebbenB!! Good luck and let us know what you come up with!
AKAI
AKAI
12 years 10 months ago #7947

Replied by Tom S. on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

Whether it works or not depends on how loose the pin is. The engraving trick is an old one used in the tool and die trade to tighten up loose dowell pins. It's not something I pulled out of my butt. :-)
12 years 10 months ago #7949

Replied by Bringsteen on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

Thanks to everyone that provided suggestions. I'll experiment with some possible solutions and then let everyone know what works for me.
12 years 10 months ago #7952

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re: JP AR Tension Pin or Alternative

Bringsteen,
What was your final solution?
Jer
12 years 9 months ago #8124

The expanding-diameter pin from McMaster-Carr appears to be the best option, but I've not purchased it yet. For now the JP Tension Pin works great; it's just a hassle. The more broken in my barrel gets, the less I will need to clean it. I guess I might just shoot my way out of the problem;)
12 years 9 months ago #8125

Well, I purchased the expanding-diameter pin from McMaster-Carr but it doesn't fit. The 5/16" pin is just too big for the 9/32" hole. I obviously knew that they were different sizes, but I gambled that the expansion would be able to be adjusted enough to make it work. The 1/4" pin is even farther away in size. So unless I can get someone to make me a custom 9/32" pin, I'll still be on the hunt for a solution.
12 years 9 months ago #8338

Bringsteen,

Have you thought about drilling the hole out to make the expanding pin fit? You could cut a little out at a time and get it as tight as you want. You were talking about buying a larger non-expanding pin so, if the expanding pin doesn't work, just put in a larger pin and you'll be back to where you started, nothing lost.

I wish I had a milling machine, I'd make you an adjustable one that would fit. Seems like making an adjustable pin would have some marketability also as I'm sure others would like some adjustability.

Jer
12 years 9 months ago #8339

I did think about drilling it out (or more realistically, having a gunsmith do it). The problem with that is that if for some reason the expanding pin doesn't work (in the sense that it doesn't keep the upper/lower connection tight), then I'll need a custom regular-style pin to put my rifle back to where it was. I like being able to go back to stock parts if I have to.

I've discovered that there is a threadlocker called Vibra-Tite VC-Threadmate, which can be adjusted multiple times. This may be the product I can use with my JP tension pin to make it less of a hassle.

But I can guarantee that if I happen across an expanding pin of 9/32" diameter, I'll be trying it.
12 years 9 months ago #8340

Is there enough material on the expanding pin to have a machinist mill it down to the correct diameter?
12 years 9 months ago #8341

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!