Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

1 rd totally F'd up 2 rifles and a Kawasaki Mule

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by GGaskill on topic 1 rd totally F'd up 2 rifles and a Kawasaki Mule

Since the whole purpose of neck sizing is to keep the case filling the original chamber, you should never use neck sized brass in a different rifle without at least full length sizing before reloading.

I have heard of one other event like this that caused a fatal injury. In that case, the gun was horizontal on a bench and someone behind the gun was struck with the flying case fragment.

Removing a loaded round stuck in the chamber is a task fraught with danger as the explosion is confined by the chamber walls. Both ends of the barrel need to be respected as potential sources of flying objects. Placing the butt on the ground would have absorbed the case head with no damage.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44502

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic 1 rd totally F'd up 2 rifles and a Kawasaki Mule

Where were you with that advice before I did that? lesson learned... the hard way
9 years 3 weeks ago #44503

Sorry, I didn't know you were going to have this problem or I would have told you. :-)
9 years 3 weeks ago #44506

Oh, I know you would have, and your input is excellent, because after all the main purpose of this forum is to educate and you did that well.
You would think that a guy who had reloaded since 1973 and had been shooting since he was 10 (if you don't count bb guns), would know stuff like this. I guess most of us have gaps in our knowledge that we don't realize. At least I learn from my mistakes. Honestly, I have read volumns on reloading and until this happened and I mentioned it on this forum, I had never seen anything in the manuals about not using reloads from one gun in another when neck sizing only. I have switched reloaded ammo around in my AR10's all the time with no issues, but I use small base dies and resize the whole case for them.
That was a wake up call for me in terms of gun safety as well and at least I had enough sense to not have any body parts over either end of the gun.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44508

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic 1 rd totally F'd up 2 rifles and a Kawasaki Mule

Foxhunter, I'd like to see pictures of the carnage if you have any. I think it would be very educational. And badass.....did I mention badass?
9 years 3 weeks ago #44511

I suppose I can go out and take a picture of the hole in the mule, but I already replaced the stock on the 308 and threw the old one away. I also threw away the damaged floorplate, which was bent into a horse shoe shape. It turns out that Howa makes the floorplates on the Weatherby Vanguard and a floorplate stamped in big letters "HOWA" will now adorn the Weatherby, that is assuming the gunsmith is ever able to get the stuck bullet case out of the chamber.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44523

I suppose I can go out and take a picture of the hole in the mule, but I already replaced the stock on the 308 and threw the old one away. I also threw away the damaged floorplate, which was bent into a horse shoe shape. It turns out that Howa makes the floorplates on the Weatherby Vanguard and a floorplate stamped in big letters "HOWA" will now adorn the Weatherby, that is assuming the gunsmith is ever able to get the stuck bullet case out of the chamber.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44524

If nothing else, you should be able to dissolve the case with repeated applications of Sweet's.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44545

good to know. I will ask him if he should try this
9 years 3 weeks ago #44549

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic 1 rd totally F'd up 2 rifles and a Kawasaki Mule

Here we is the solution Fox. You have been doing it
Assbackwards.

www.alloutdoor.com/2015/03/31/bullets-te...gn=Weekly+Newsletter
The following user(s) said Thank You: foxhunter
9 years 2 weeks ago #44608

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!