Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ReLoading 101

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:ReLoading 101

Looks like you're well on your way!

Have fun!
14 years 5 months ago #2258

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:ReLoading 101

Well I am happy this morning, I got my first batch of 20 sized and trimmed last night. I got lucky on the sizing die, it seemed like for the most part I hit it on the first time, even got my bullet seating die set, sort of, have one done, no primer or powder, now I need to get a bullet puller to get it out..........LOL, was going to get one anyway.

i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad283/BUILDI...119reloading0001.jpg
i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad283/BUILDI...119reloading0002.jpg
i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad283/BUILDI...119reloading0003.jpg

My book called for 2.015 max case length with a .005 trim, I have them trimmed down to 2.010 to 2.008 they vary abit, first time, that will give me enough to play with when I seat the bullets, the inter-lock ring is .04 wide. I check the one I have done against the max overall length that Lee suggests and am well with in tolerance. Now just waiting on some powder data to double check my loads and then it will be time to finish this first batch and then to see the fruits of my labor. Will get pics and maybe video.
Oh one more little question, will I have to re-size the shell again after I pull the bullet???????
Later all and thanks for all the help, keep it coming though, I will gladly take all the help I can get.....

BMS......
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 5 months ago #2261

OK, now I am pissed and confused or is confused and pissed, either way. The data I was waiting on, well it was a waist of typing, that's what I get for asking ArmaLite tech questions on my rifles ammo requirements.

OK, I had determined that I was going with 39.9 grains of the IMR 4895 which will give me a mv of 2400 fps, after looking at the factory ammo I use, mainly hornady, all theirs including the 150 gr all come out at 2700 fps. Now according to their book, that would be a max load with the charts they give. Scaup58 said 45.5 gr of the 4895, this exceeds the max load on the charts. I know, I am being a pain, but I don't want to run the risk of damaging a $1500 gun, so yes I am concerned.
If you veterans out there would lend me a hand with this, I know that a few have posted some figures but I can't seem to find them again.
I am using IMR 4895, the max load, by the book is 43.4 for the service rifle chart, which is the one I am using, and in the standard chart for the .308 44.7 is the one for 2700 fps, 46.4 is the max load for 2800 fps. The Lee chart says "start at 43.00" which is also close to max load.
All of my factory ammo is up in the 2680 to 2820 range, with hornady being 2700 fps. At 2400 fps, I feel that I will be "spitting in the wind" so to speak and will face major disappointment and the waist of materials.
So can someone "please, please" give me a load that would be acceptable in the range I am looking for with out the risk of damage or BCG failure.
I know a few of you have been doing this for years upon years so, I would very much respect your opinions.

It is a good thing I don't have alot of hair, I would be pulling it out right now......LOL

Thanks guys....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 5 months ago #2262

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:ReLoading 101

BMS,

One thing you need to remember is that when you see the velocities reported by the powder companies, bullet manufacturers, etc. they were probably using a bolt action to test these loads. With your gas gun, you are going to lose velocity, unless you have a longer barrel, which I know you don't.

I would start with a 45 gr charge and work up in .2 gr. increments, like I said earlier. Watch for over pressure signs. There's usually a "sweet spot" in the 45-46 gr range. According to IMR you can load up to 47.3 gr., so you should be fine.

Load up 5 rounds with 45gr. Then load up 5 rounds with 45.2 gr. Then load up 5 rounds with 45.4 gr. and so on, until you find one you like.

Or you could do how I like to find an accuracy load. Load one at 45gr, the next one at 45.2, then 45.4, then 45.6, and so on. Eventually you'll see a nice three shot cluster, lets say its the 45.4, 45.6, and 45.8 gr loads are all touching. So I then go back and load 5 rounds at 45.4, 5 rounds at 45.5, 5 rounds at 45.6, etc. When one load comes out with all rounds going into the same hole. I go load up 20 rounds of that load. I then confirm at 100 yards that load again, then I shoot 5 rounds at 200, 5 rounds at 300, and so on. If they all come in at an accuracy that I like, then that's the load I'll use from then on in that gun. If not, then I go back and tweek a bit more.

I hope this helps!
14 years 5 months ago #2263

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:ReLoading 101

BMS

Service rifle loads in the 7.62 are for M1A's. These rifles use a long op-rod to push on the bolt from the gas port out on the barrel. If that port see's a big pressure spike from slow burning powder or a "hot" load, the rod will bend. Your AR10 has no such weakness and you can use loads from the general section of the loading manual. The link I gave you in my last message is another method of doing what Edge suggested to find an accurate load, his is called an Audette Ladder. I have been very happy with the Optimal Charge Weight or OCW method as outlined at the aforementioned link. Edge is right on with his load recommendation as that's the exact range of charge weights that I found to be OCW for this bullet and IMR-4895. Back to max charges, you will find different loading manuals will list slightly different Max charges for the same powder / bullet combinations. The powder makers all have load data on their web sites for free so check them out. Also the bullet makers all have loading manuals of their own for a nominal fee and these are definitely worth having. I shoot up to the max loads listed in Hornady's manual in my AR10 carbine and rarely see pressure signs although best accuracy is usually 1 - 2.5 grains lower than published max. One way to get a feel for pressure is to look at some primers from fired factory ammo and compare to your handloads, if you see the edge of your primers getting noticeably square compared to the factory ones then it's probably time to back off. Last, wander over to 6BR.com and read about the .308, there's a lot of good info there and some known accurate loads listed.

Have fun.
14 years 5 months ago #2266

BMS

Service rifle loads in the 7.62 are for M1A's. These rifles use a long op-rod to push on the bolt from the gas port out on the barrel. If that port see's a big pressure spike from slow burning powder or a "hot" load, the rod will bend. Your AR10 has no such weakness and you can use loads from the general section of the loading manual. The link I gave you in my last message is another method of doing what Edge suggested to find an accurate load, his is called an Audette Ladder. I have been very happy with the Optimal Charge Weight or OCW method as outlined at the aforementioned link. Edge is right on with his load recommendation as that's the exact range of charge weights that I found to be OCW for this bullet and IMR-4895. Back to max charges, you will find different loading manuals will list slightly different Max charges for the same powder / bullet combinations. The powder makers all have load data on their web sites for free so check them out. Also the bullet makers all have loading manuals of their own for a nominal fee and these are definitely worth having. I shoot up to the max loads listed in Hornady's manual in my AR10 carbine and rarely see pressure signs although best accuracy is usually 1 - 2.5 grains lower than published max. One way to get a feel for pressure is to look at some primers from fired factory ammo and compare to your handloads, if you see the edge of your primers getting noticeably square compared to the factory ones then it's probably time to back off. Last, wander over to 6BR.com and read about the .308, there's a lot of good info there and some known accurate loads listed.

Have fun.
14 years 5 months ago #2267

OK gentlemen I have a question??????
I was just going to start setting primers and mic ed my brass again and I thought well what is the factory brass setting at. Well, my factory brass is at 2.002 to 2.000, this includes both Hornady, Tap and A-Max, UltraMax and even the federal 150 gr. Mine, the preped ones, Winchester, is trimmed down to 2.010 to 2.008. Will this difference of .01 to .006 in the shell casings have an adverse affect on the shooting to the reloads in my rifle??? Should I trim them down again to the length of the factory one, or don't worry about it and load them up and go shoot them.......when I re-sized them they were up around 2.02 to 2.026 was the highest.....if that matters.
Sorry to be a pain or a nit pick, just want to get this right the first time so further rounds come out good..
Thanks
BMS

14 years 5 months ago #2279

BMS
The spec for .308 is 2.015" max case length. If I understand correctly your cases after resizing are 2.02+? If so, you need to trim these to under 2.015. This is pretty serious shit as a case that's too long will have the end of the neck jammed into the end of the chamber. When this happens the neck cannot expand properly to release the bullet upon firing and pressure skyrockets. The .308 case will stretch quite a bit due to it's 20 degree shoulder. I trim to 2.002 and have to re-trim every other loading. Don't load any case that's over 2.015" until you trim it! As long as you're under 2.015 then you are GTG. Keep us posted.
14 years 5 months ago #2282

P.S. That website I recommended earlier is www.6mmbr.com.
14 years 5 months ago #2283

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:ReLoading 101

You all have all got me rolling. Your making the reloading into a night at a cheap Vegas cat house. If I didn't no any better I would think the union was involved. Look make this easy trim all the brass to 2" it will grow over time and be back to 2.010 fast. The most important accuracy tip that is never talked about is getting all the flash holes the same size that makes the most difference in accuracy. Make sure your primers are seated oo2 to 004 below flush with the case for these ARs. These AR rifles are easy on brass and most brass should last reloading over a 100 times if taken care of. You can use slow burning powders because the bolt is the opp rod. Don't seat the bullets touching the lands because when the rifle cycles it will reseat the bullets every time and not always the same. That kills the throat in the barrel. I had a Pugnocker exlpain how good that worked on everything at a match yesterday. My 495-39X ended the bullet seating disagreament as Pugnocker was down 200 and some points. Don't worry about a 10th of grain of powder eather, none of us shoot good enough to respond to a 3 10th difference. Get close but not over on the powder measurment. Learn the heat index for the types of powders. Load your ammo on the loose side for these ARs. Test the brass in the chamber before putting the powder in. There was a shooter (new) that had to borrow my leather hammer to open his bolt because he was not sizing his brass 003 under. He sized to 0 on the brass guage. keep plenty of lub on the cases it aids when cycling.MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2284

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!