Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ReLoading 101

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re:ReLoading 101

After skimming over this thread, I decided to put my .02 in.

My favorite general purpose load is with a 150 gr (or thereabouts) bullet and 42 grains of 4895. My 4895 is surplus powder bought from Pat's Reloading in better days. I also picked up another 8 lbs of Radway Green 4895 (from the Queen's arsenal, no less) from Widener's recently. I buy the "milspec" bulk 145gr FMJs from Widener's for about $80/500. Throw in a military case with a CCI military primer and seat to just below max OAL and give a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. Shoots <1" @100 yds. I haven't tried it much farther than that since my range is 200 yds max.

I use a Dillon 550 with RCBS small-base X-dies, which seem to work well at keeping my cases from stretching beyond trim length. I went ahead and got small-base dies just to make sure I don't have any trouble chambering any rounds. A lot of people say you don't need them, but if RCBS recommends something, I pretty much take their word for it.

I'm a mechanic and I don't trust digital instruments as far as I can spit against a hurricane, so my scale is a RCBS 1010 I bought long before the digitals came out. Never saw a need to replace perfection.
14 years 4 months ago #2436

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:ReLoading 101

Well all in all, I have to say that I have heard alot about RCBS and Dillon, I get the Dillon catalog once in a while, but for now, I am happy with my Lee press and dies, as someone once said, one must crawl before you walk or run, well I am crawling, quite nicely I might add, thanks to all the help I have received. I am starting my second batch and looking forward to my third....so will keep you all up to speed as how it goes, if it warms up abit, I am going to get out and shoot.....right now...-21 wind chill....to cold for this old man to be out...LOL
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2454

Well I knocked out my second batch last night, used the same specs as the first.
i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad283/BUILDI...6secondbatch0001.jpg
I have to say I am getting quite comfortable with my equipment and I think as soon as I get some better components I will have to start on my Hornady brass, been saving that for precision loads....
Just a big thank you to all that helped me get started with this venture. I am sure I will have many more questions in the future......probably sooner than later...LOL.
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2476

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Re:ReLoading 101

Before I started reloading for My service rifles I had read a lot on several forums about do not reload Your ammunition for these rifles,read it in the book for My M1A1 too so I was a bit sceptical about reloading for these as I did`nt want to break anything and have to send them in for repairs.
I talked to My favorite firearms sales person and He reloads all the time,He advised Me to get the small base die set and take My time{I had never reloaded before} and I would be OK.I reloaded My first batch of ammo and have never looked back,just loaded to keep things in the 2800FPS range and so far so good.I just ordered a chronograph to see how close I am to the specs. of what the chart says I should be and will post that after the chrony. gets here and it warms enough to get out on the range.Like SAS says,It is a matter of getting comfortable with the process and then firing a few rounds and getting the results on paper and that makes it all worth the time and effort of putting our own ammo together.
Nice looking reloads bye the way.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by MrMarty51.
14 years 4 months ago #2477

Had a member ask about benches...so I thought I would Resurrect this thread...it has some good views of my early reloading bench..which has not changed a whole lot... :whistle: :dry:
BMS

11 years 1 month ago #18548

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Re:ReLoading 101

Here is the one I might build once I find a place I plan on staying at...

If anybody would like the complete list, shoot me an IM with your email address and I'll send it.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by mrraley.
11 years 1 month ago #18559

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Re:ReLoading 101

About the only thing that I think is missing on that bench is the pizza delivery box section. :cowboy: :rotfl:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
11 years 1 month ago #18561

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!