Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scope brand name

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Scope brand name

Libertarian what do you want to see in an illuminated reticle? What do you not like about the current industry standard illumination? I have a ton of my own opinions about that, but I am interested to hear your take on it.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by txlongshotb4.
9 years 9 months ago #40481

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Scope brand name

IMO, The older My eyes get, the more I like an illuminated reticle in low light conditions, particularly one with adjustable brightness.
9 years 9 months ago #40482

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Scope brand name

I've really liked this reticle, it helps with fast acquisition even without the light on. Reminds me of an Eotech when on the 1x power setting.

I was worried it may be a little busy but that hasn't been the case for me.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 9 months ago #40484

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

I tend to only use illuminated reticles when I need to.. Low light levels, or a background that blends with the crosshairs. They really don't need to be that bright, just enough to differentiate from the target's color or shading, but not enough to overwhelm the retina. Because of my type of use, I really don't need an illuminated reticle that is visible in bright daylight. One that is not visible through the other end of the scope would be nice as well, if possible.
9 years 9 months ago #40494

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Scope brand name

I like the illum stuff as it allows me to get on target fast and faster. There are 3 primary colors, amber, red, green and I have used them all. Not sure any are perfect, but that might be an individual thing in choice. I like the green, but it does blend in when using it in the early spring when the leaves are also bright green.

While my eyeballs are not what they were when I was young and even then I was not 20x20, but I learned to compensate and to this day I see things others don't until I point them out. Its a technique I learned in Artillery School at Ft Sill. Its difficult to describe but I will try. Say you are out deer hunting or just looking for bad guys so you can drop in Arty on them. You have and area(s) you view in this case its understanding Avenues of Approach. Deer or man when tend to take the path of least resistance. You scan the area, back and forth a few times never stopping and deep focusing (which is really tunnel vision). Scan like painting, broad strokes back and forth. Look away or view another area. Return to your primary target zone. Scan again.

Now here is the trick: if you did not deep focus, you have a broad pic of the area, now its your second look and if man or beast is there and has moved, it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Does it work? You damn right it does, I could tell you to go ask some folks, but I had them at hello...

Inlaid Speeder 36, Roger, Right 350, Up 150, battery of 6, HE, fire for effect, over...
9 years 9 months ago #40498

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Scope brand name

Long Shot - I think my dislike for the illuminated reticle started due to the brightness of the illumination. It would wash out the target in early models or obscure a larger portion than would be covered by a 2nd focal plane reticle (again early things , 20 yrs ago). I think Sisco makes a good point all that is needed is a subtle color change to facilitate taking a shot in low light. As I said before a recent look through a SiteMark ( I now hold the giggles) long range scope revealed a tolerable level illumination ( I was impressed enough to go to there website).
9 years 9 months ago #40499

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Scope brand name

jtallen, that reticle looks very close to one I tested in a prototype ELCAN around 2006. If memory serves me correctly, it was a fiber optic enhanced model much like the ACOG.

I have an interesting ideas about illumination. What about using a very vibrant, almost electric blue instead of red or green? Blue is a very soft color. It lends itself well to concrete in urban environments, and in the woods it contrasts well with the greens if set at low power. Blue is not very good for dusk or dawn, as it will not win the fight with the sunlight, but then again, neither will red or green. However, since blue is a soft color, there would be less of an issue with washout, and the eye can focus on the target plane a lot easier when not trying to get beyond a hard color. What do you guys think?
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by txlongshotb4.
9 years 9 months ago #40619

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Scope brand name

When you asked about illumination, my first thought was to ask if you've considered blue. It doesn't draw the eye near as much as red, which I think has been a problem for me when using scopes with illumination. My focus is on the target, so when the reticule is competing for my attention, it's annoying. So yeah, blue could work.

Far as names go, in my opinion, 'X-Ring' says 'Competition' while 'Valkyrie' says 'Combat'. That may help you with direction. I don't think any optics maker names any of their products with an eye toward intended use.

BTW: Hi again.
9 years 9 months ago #40620

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Scope brand name

Hi Liz, glad to see you here again!

I think one issue regardless of color is the adjustability of the light level. Some of the cheaper red dots are either glaring or too dim. The Bushnell reticle I posted has 12 settings, the first two are for night vision and the next few are really only noticeable at real low light. I don't know the mechanics of it but for me the more adjustment the better!
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 9 months ago #40626

Longshot: I like the idea of blue, especially if the brightness is adjustable. There recently are some blue ones availabke on the market, but I haven't tried them yet.
9 years 9 months ago #40636

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!