Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scope brand name

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Scope brand name

Blue as a color may not be the best choice. It affects the eyes and brain, increases the levels of melatonin which brings on sleep. Also depending upon the actual color of blue it can become fuzzy when viewed.

I would not use Blue as its too different and may well not be welcomed by the shooting community.
9 years 8 months ago #40637

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Scope brand name

I need to check this against patents of other companies and make sure I am not getting too close to the proverbial fire, but this is the reticle pattern I have come up with after about a dozen revisions. I have two versions here, and I would like to hear from the court of public opinion which one is more preferred.

In the first version, all of the stadia lines in the inner cross hair are 1 moa wide and on the outer stadia they are 2 moa wide. he center dot is 1 moa, and all of the other dots are 2 moa. The dots all horizontal stadia lines are spaced at 5 moa from center to center, so that from center there are measured increments for 5,10,15,20 and 5 moa for wind hold off and moving target leads. On the vertical axis, the tick marks are spaced at 2 moa from center to center. The alternation fo short (3 moa) and long (5 moa) ticks and the 1 moa dot pattern is so that the shooter can easily reference the hold over needed without having to count down from the center. There are a total of 60 moa below center line for hold over, and 20 moa above center line for either angle fire, or hold under when zeroed at long range. The successive horizontal stadia lines are positioned every 10 moa down the vertical axis. These are positioned to aid in hold offs where both long range and wind is present, so that the shooter is not holding off out in the middle of nowhere.

The second version is the same as the first but with the addition of a row of 1 moa dots alternating the pattern as shown. These dots are also indexed at 5,10,15,20 and 25 MOA on their horizontal axis. They are placed at 10 moa spacing down the vertical axis staggered off of the pattern in version 1. When used in conjunction with the larger 2 moa dots, there is 5 moa spacing between the centers of all dots on the vertical axis.

This is the thing I am undecided about, and I would like feed back about. I placed the row of smaller dots because 10 moa is a lot of area at long range. At 600 meters it is 60 inches, and that is a large margin for error. The smaller dots bring this area down to a more manageable area, but they also add clutter to an already complicated reticle. It is a toss up for me....what are your thoughts?
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by txlongshotb4. Reason: pics not showing up
9 years 8 months ago #40641

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Scope brand name

I like the second as it seems more open, but either is going to take a fair amount of training and practice to get used to.
Below is the reticle on my 3x9 Burris Fulfield E1 which I like a lot. The scope comes with a list of the different amounts each dot will affect a different caliber. I taped the one for 308 on my rifle stock. A couple of Russian scopes for Dragunov's I have seen use a similar
9 years 8 months ago #40646

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Scope brand name

I like the first one, but I see what you mean about 10 moa being a lot of space. Have you thought about staggering the horizontal lines that are below the center at 5 moa vertically?

That is, the first line on say the left side is 5 moa down from the center, and the first line on the right is 10 moa down. There would still be 10 moa between lines on each side, but it would give a rough 5 moa reference point between lines without adding clutter.

Just a thought. Either way I prefer the first one.
9 years 8 months ago #40648

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Scope brand name

Long shot- I like the second reticle reminds me of a Horus. As far as the color there has got to be data to support different colors for different reasons. Any way you could pulse the color through the reticle ( like fading in and out). If the intensity was really low and you where concentrating of the target, I think a pulsing reticle may just ghost in and out. If you put it at 15 PPM it would give ample time to shot. Just throwing ideas around.
9 years 8 months ago #40674

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Scope brand name

As I only use an illuminated reticle in low light conditions, a blue one would only work if it didn't affect my night vision. I don't really know the effect of blue light on the rods and cones in the eye, I do know that red doesn't effect my night vision. I usually depend on the red beam on my headlamp to watch for coyotes when I take my dogs out at night.
9 years 8 months ago #40687

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic Scope brand name

Yup^^^
I like ... Valkyrie... Cool word....
I believe bluelight would have a greater negative effect on your night vision..... I'm sure there's lots of studies on this.....
Very interesting conversation.... I wish you success,.... a cool scope idea I had a great price...
9 years 7 months ago #41568

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by NAMVET1970 on topic Scope brand name

For the name I like Valkyrie, like it is ready for battle, for the reticle I think one like that Siscowet showed; an open x-mass tree style, that's what the long range shooters are using. As for the color, at night time there is a reason the U S Navy has RED lights in compartments just before sailors go outside on watch when it's dark out.
Good luck on your project. :twothumbs:
9 years 7 months ago #41569

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Scope brand name

I like Valkyrie and X Ring both. If you are going to have two lines say one tactical and one target you might want both. You also may want to make sure you can get the domain name you want before you invest too much in the name though. Today so much of marketing and audience targeting is done on the web. Especially younger customers. You don't want to end up with a domain name of myxringopticsonline.com or myvalkyrieopticsonline.org for you domain names. Nobody would remember your website.

I like the second reticle better but would worry about how much of it you are going to illuminate. I like the smaller gradations for longer distances. But too much illumination would make it too busy and hard to concentrate on the target. I am ok with either green or red but probably would prefer red. Definitely a no on blue. I have a blue laser and that thing creates persistence of vision like crazy. Granted it is above the legal limit for lasers, but you can still see it long after you look away.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by VTIT.
9 years 7 months ago #41576

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Scope brand name

Also do a Trademark search (free) to see if someone already has it....
9 years 7 months ago #41588

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!