Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Mil dot scopes

• Thank you received: 0

Mil dot scopes was created by moje45

I'm working on purchasing a 20" Armalite AR10 firing a .308 round. I want to get a decent mil dot for somewhere in the $500 to $600 range. Looking for some recommendations based on experience with the optics. Thanks!
13 years 8 months ago #4991

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by GONIF on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

Fixed power or variable ?
13 years 8 months ago #4994

Replied by moje45 on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

Variable.
13 years 8 months ago #4997

Replied by Room 055 on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

Depends. Hunting or tactical?

First, mildot implies you are ranging with it. If the reticle is in the rear plane, then a set magnification needs to be used to properly range using subtension. Front focal plane reticles with mil-dot allow for ranging at all magnifications. Rear plane reticles tend to cover too much of the target for precise shots at closer ranges.

Second, are you shooting at moving targets? Take a look at FOV at maximum magnification. You may not get much of a view at maximum magnification on a high mag power scope.

Third, will you need to quickly acquire targets at close range? A fixed magnification scope may hose you on trying to acquire close in targets. If you go this route, get a small backup red dot like a Docter or Burris to augment the scope.

So, for tactical, either go with a fixed magnification mil-dot scope with a maximum of 12x and a red dot or BUIS to augment for close in shots, or a a front focal plane variable with a maximum magnification that gives you a decent FOV at maximum zoom.

For hunting, either will tend to work, however, a lower fixed would be necessary if you take shots at say 50 yards at times.

The perfect fixed magnification mil-dot in my opinion is 10x. The maximum is 12x with the minimum of 8x. The maximum variable magnification scope would normally depend on the caliber, but since we are most likely talking .308, then 14 or 16x makes an appropriate maximum to allow for a decent FOV and a small enough low power setting for close in targets.

I am a fan of front focal plane reticles in variable power scopes for the reasons above.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Room 055.
13 years 8 months ago #4999

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

I'll add my .25
Well the norm for most that I see in the mags is the Mark 4, but cost on that is up around 1K +...
I was looking at one time at the Burris XTR 624...but there again...1K...but I think I might be looking at the Nikon Monarch..in a 8x32x50...around $700
There is a sight that you can top end demo models and such...I believe that Room gave me this awhile back...I had it once before but lost it...Thanks again Room. Now I sit and drool over the HOT deals... :woohoo:
www.samplelist.com/
There are some really good deals on there...just don't settle on cheap....you will regret it...I wish now I had looked harder when I bought my Mark 2, but I want to put that on my M-15 anyway... :lol:
If you like, I can over the next few days put together a list of scopes that you might find acceptable in that price range...
Let me know...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 8 months ago #5010

Replied by moje45 on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

Wow that would be outstanding BMS! I would really appreciate your input. Thanks for the offer!
13 years 8 months ago #5011

Replied by Room 055 on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

I missed the OP for some reason, so I thought the question was about fixed or variable.

There are used Leupold MkIV MR/T's out there at the high end of your price range or slightly above it. I use a MkIV LR/T on my bolt actions, but the MR/T would better match a 308 AR-10 platform anyway. Otherwise, you could get this used Nikon Tactical which is a descent scope at this price...

Used Nikon TacticalUsed Nikon Tactical
13 years 8 months ago #5012

M45...will do, give me some time...am still working on my current project...but I will get to it when I can...soon as I can..
I will go off your earlier post....for my ranges..and types.
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 8 months ago #5015

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

The best thing you can do is find a scope that has matching turrets. Meaning your elevation and windage knobs for use with a mil-dot will have MIL, not MOA, adjustments. It will make life a lot simpler, but MOA adjustments are ok if you can not find anything decent. You'll just have to do the math.

For your price range, I would look into Vortex, Weaver, Super Sniper, WOTAC, and Falcon Menace. You may be able to find a used Leupold for that price, but it's going to be a hard find.

I'll look around some more and see what I can find.
13 years 8 months ago #5049

Well M45...here is a few you can check into...
I will put if they have a 30mm tube...

Bushnell...
3200 Elite...Tactical...
5x15x40 Mil-dot $389
4200 Elite....
6x24x50 with side focus Mil-dot 30mm tube....$700

Nikon...Monarch
4x16x42 with side focus..Mil-dot $450
and they have other ones up to 6x24x50 SF ..$650

Millet
6x25x56 SF 35mm tube Mil-dot $425
and there are some Zeiss scopes around 450 to 700 mainly 3x9x40s

These are on MidWay USA

www.midwayusa.com/

and these are just some of what is out there...I picked the ones I like anyway...I left out Leupold...just because...You never said whether you wanted hunting or tactical...
I picked the Mil-dot because I find it easier to "hold over" to shoot other ranges than move my turrets...but hey I am a novice so...Edge is the Long shooter... :laugh: ;) B)
any I hope some of these may help...
BMS

The following user(s) said Thank You: fallenangelhim
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 8 months ago #5091

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!