Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Mil dot scopes

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Engineer on topic Re:Mil dot scopes

One scope that I can recommend that has Mil Dot, tactical knobs and 1" tube is the Nikon Buckmaster 6 x 18. It is on sale at Midway for $309.99. For this price range it is perfectly usable. I have it in ARMS #22High mounts on my older 10T. You do have to use the ARMS #37 bushings, then when you buy that $1K to $3K scope it will still fit in the mounts. This scope is perhaps a tick darker than a 3.5 x 10 Leupold MkIII on the newer AR-10 Semi-SASS (upgraded 10T).

Enjoy,
Barry
13 years 8 months ago #5098

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

Valid points. BDCs are handy in complex environments with multiple brief target exposures at varying distances, where speed of engagement time is more important than pin point precision. The only way to get true precision from a BDC is a custom reticle (preferably with matching turrets) designed with a particular rifle, barrel length, bullet type and weight. The downside to that solution is that the scope is "slaved" to a particular rifle and ammo. It also tends to be pretty spendy. I think a good compromise between speed and precision is Horus' H58/59 and Tremor2 reticles. They looked pretty cluttered and complicated but it's actually pretty simple to use.
RLTW
12 years 9 months ago #8074

Replied by Tigerdan on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

I've got some 4-16x50mm front focal plane Japan optics I brought in they hammered me with a heavy duty charge in customs so I can't give them away but I will put them up there with the best.
Get in touch with me whoever is interested and we can see what we can do.
11 years 11 months ago #11556

Replied by GONIF on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

I know what a first focal plane scope is ,what's a front focal plane scope ?
11 years 11 months ago #11557

Replied by Tigerdan on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

You lost me there.I'm looking to sell a few they are awesome scopes. I'm hitting steal out to 800 no problem and they have been holding zero on a 50 cal
shot over 100 rounds in 1 day with no problems on it that says alot.
11 years 11 months ago #11559

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

The Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X50 is a decent scope in the $650 range, but the clicks are 1/4 MOA. That's just one reason I'm considering a Nightforce NXS (which is considerably more expensive ;) ).

Charlie (has a thing for Trijicon too)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 11 months ago #11561

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

I need a little education here, why do I want or not want 1/4 moa clicks? Is 1/2 or 1/8 better? I'm assuming this relates to long distances?
Knowing they are out of my budget I haven't spent any time researching the high end optics, My 4200 elite is the highest priced scope I ever thought I'd own, and a much better scope than I thought it would be!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 11 months ago #11565

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

I am going to POP in here for a Moment....
Remember that most of those measurements are @ 100yards...either inch or mill...
so a 1/4 @ 100yards at 200 you are at a 1/2" and so on.....same goes for mills...it also depends at what range you Zero the Scope...but distance still will equal increased measurements...my opinion for what it is worth :dry: ...go with 1/8" or 1/4"...unless you are really good or Ex military trained to use the Mill system...Mills will be harder for you than the " system...
Again...for what it's worth... :whistle:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 11 months ago #11567

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

The reason you don't want 1/4 MOA turrets with a mil-dot is that there are plenty of scopes out there now that have gotten past the old way and will have matching turrets to the reticle being used.

You want a scope that has the reticle and turrets matching. In other words, if you have a mil based reticle, you want mil based turrets. If an moa based reticle you want moa turrets.

Nightforce, some Bushnells, SWFA Supersnipers, etc. will have matching turrets and reticles.

Basically the premise is you don't have to think too hard anymore with matching turrets and reticles. So, if you see that your shot is 1 mil low in the reticle, no matter the distance, dial up 1 mil on your matching reticle and you're done. Same goes for MOA based reticle. This typically works better the further out your shot is.

Now, if you have a mil reticle with moa turrets, then generally a 1 mil miss will equal 3.5 moa for a quick correction, to a certain point. 1 mil is actually equal to 3.438 moa, so you can see that the further out you shoot, the bigger the error if you use 3.5 moa for a correction. Anything past 800 yards then you need to do the math to get a better adjustment reading.

I hope this makes sense?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 11 months ago #11568

Replied by GONIF on topic Re: Mil dot scopes

IMHO you can not beat the Weaver tactical model 800363 3-15x 50 30mm side focus FFP scope for the money .Mine holds .5moa at 100 yards in 5 shot groups with Copper Creek 175 grain gas gun ammo all dat long on my CMMG 18 inch rifle .
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by GONIF.
11 years 11 months ago #11569

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!