Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Sig 938 Range Report

• Thank you received: 556

Sig 938 Range Report was created by jtallen83

I couldn't help myself at the gun show today, this Sig 938 came home with me. It came in under $725 including tax and with two boxes of Speer Lawman. I sold a few antique tools for a good price this week and decided I needed a pocket pistol. I'll post some pictures tonight and hopefully shoot enough this weekend to give a decent range report.

LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 9 months ago #26096

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Sig 938

A few more pics.

LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 9 months ago #26097

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Sig 938

Very nice.......a friend in Georga speaks very highly of the 938
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 9 months ago #26109

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Sig 938

Well bought, friend. I've always thought Sig made a good pistol.
RLTW
10 years 9 months ago #26113

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic Sig 938

Really nice.... I'm a sig guy......
10 years 9 months ago #26119

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Sig 938

Nice grab JT. Oughta get a few miles outta that... :thumbs: :thumbs:
10 years 9 months ago #26129

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Sig 938

I got the chance to shoot some today, that makes it a good day no matter what!
I broke the pistol down to clean and lube it first. It was obvious from the brass marks that Sig puts some rounds down range before they boxed it, a good thing. B) I thought.

I shot 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 115gr. TMJ, 0 malfunctions :) :twothumbs:
I can't figure out what all the reviewers were whining about when it comes to the pistol being hard on hands. I thought it shot pretty soft for such a small thing and with no work in several years my hands are softer now than when I was four. My grip stayed rock solid, no shifting in my hand even when I used the small clip and shot rapidly. It stuck to my hand like glue and left no sore spots :twothumbs:
Accuracy on the other hand was just non-existent. :(
I shot from 25 yards down to 10 feet and couldn't get 1/3 of the rounds on an 8 inch steel spinner. There was just no consistency. The same hold could go off in any direction at random, maybe 2/3 the misses were low but they could be left, right, or center. While shooting I chalked it up to just getting used to the hard trigger. When I got home I think I found the main culprit, when in battery the barrel will shift from side to side with just a slight nudge at the rear. I measured the movement with calipers and got .026 inch. The primers show some very inconsistent strikes reinforcing the fact that the barrel doesn't return to the same spot in battery.

I tried to get some pictures to show the degree of movement in battery, there is also a strong mark visible across the top of the chamber now, it is taking a blow there from something somewhere;

There is no movement at the muzzle and nearly imperceptible movement when I push down at the rear. I can't figure out how it is held in battery, no lugs like the 1911 so I don't have a clue how or if this could be remedied. At 10 feet it would hit a person every time but past 10 yards most shots would have been clean misses on a torso sized target, might have caught some kneecaps. From what I read the low issue can be solved with replacing either sight with a different size, the owners manual explains this but doesn't say who is buying the new sights. They sell a special sight pusher for windage, about $250, but the way it behaves any windage adjustment would be like chasing a rainbow. I'm under no illusions, at 25 yards I didn't expect regular hits. At 10 yards though I should be able to get some lead in a torso on every shot, shouldn't I?????? :unsure:
I checked for movement of the barrel while in battery before I bought the thing and didn't feel any, could it shoot loose in just a few rounds? At the range I kept telling myself it just needed to settle in, now I can't see how it could.
Am I being too picky, is this strictly a belly gun for real up close work or should I bug Sig about this issue???????
There is so much I really like about the pistol it makes it even more of a bummer that I can't hit shit with it. Simple geometry tells me that no matter how good I get with the sight picture and trigger control if that short little barrel does not return to the same place in battery every time hitting the target will be a crap shoot, not a good thing for a self defense pistol.I really didn't want to carry my 1911 but at least I know I can reliably hit a head size target at 25 yards with it, it just doesn't fit in my pocket very well..........

I'm open to any and all advice, what say you all? Send it back, trade it off, or is there a fix? Any recomendations on a forum with knowledgeable people on Sigs? Does this sound like something Sig would care about? I don't want to waste time if they will only run me around. Crying shame cause I love every other aspect of the pistol........ :banghead:
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by jtallen83. Reason: coherency
10 years 9 months ago #26156

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Sig 938

Send it back.
10 years 9 months ago #26161

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic Sig 938

^^^ what SOC says.........
10 years 9 months ago #26168

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Sig 938

www.ajguns.com/contactus

Ask for Andrew a personal friend of mine and is a big Sig dealer here in NE he should be able to help with any and all questions you may have JT. Something here doesn't sound right! I would also call Sig or your nearest dealer and send it in for review. Very disappointing when this happens but then everyone makes mistakes. From my experience in dealing with Sig I'm sure they will take care of the issue just not good when you don't get what ya pay for. Keep us posted and I hope Andrew can help you Good Luck. B)
AKAI
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 9 months ago #26169

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!