Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Sig 938 Range Report

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Sig 938 Range Report, sorta

At least I got the ammo!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 9 months ago #26416

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My wife was kind enough to come to Arkansas this weekend and brought my returned P938 with her. Of course I went right to the range this morning, put a couple hundred rounds through the gun. Here is a picture of my best 7 yard target,14 rounds, using my bag for a rest;

Here is a 7 yard target, 20 rounds, fired offhand by a local competition shooter, his first time holding a 938;

I've got some practicing to do!

The primer strikes look no different than when I sent it in.

I have to say I'm not impressed with the customer service. I will quote the service order;

" Cust. stated barrel moves when firearm is in battery. This is causing inconsistent primer marks on his rounds. Please inspect the barrel and make sure firearm is in spec.He had a very hard time trying to explain the issue."

I'm not sure what he meant by "had a difficult time explaining" It seemed to me he had a hard time understanding what I was saying and would not provide an email for me to send him pictures that easily showed the issue or take more time to make sure he understood what I was telling him.
Now the Gunsmith comments;

"Inspected the pistol
Detailed the breech face.
Function checked and test fired over 50 rounds of HP+p ball ammo, had no malfunctions. The pistol operates as designed it is within factory specifications for fit, function, and finish"

They included two different ammo box ends,Aguila 124 gr.FMJ and Speer 115 gr. GDHP. Neither say +P. I sent several cases that showed the erratic primer strikes but got no comment, I assume this means that the variation is within Sig spec. The barrel moves as much or more than it did. I have no clue what "detailing the breech face" is?
Can anyone fill me in, I don't notice anything different.

On a positive note, I sent the pistol in without mags as instructed. There were no feeding issues so they said they didn't need them and I should not send them. The pistol arrived home with a 7 round mag in it. This takes a little sting out of the hassle.

With my friend at the range shooting as well as he did having never touched this model before I should be able to tighten my groups some with more practice. He commented that some work on the trigger should help a great deal but he was not impressed with the wobble in the barrel while in battery, even with a round chambered you can move it back and forth.
I'll run 500 rounds through it practicing but if I can't get an 8 inch group at twenty yards with a 7 round magazine soon I'll be trading for something else.
Are my expectations out of line for a pocket pistol like this?

All in all Sig has not inspired me to purchase more of their products.
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 8 months ago #27312

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Sig 938 Range Report, sorta

Detailing the breechface could mean that it was re-profiled and polished.

As far as the lack of accuracy at 20 yards, that's a mighty short barrel for 9mm. Your targets bear that out. Even at 7 yards, there's some key holing going on. The rifling can only impart so much spin on the bullet with the length of barrel the 938 (Or any other pocket sized pistol) has.

Also, small pistols need a firmer grip than a full size pistol because the pistol has less mass to absorb recoil and causes more muzzle flip. Then there's the total lack of sight radius...

Pistols are hard to shoot. Smaller pistols harder still.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 8 months ago #27321

I got the same advice on the Sigtalk forum, sounds like I better stick to the 7 yard line for the time being. Still hope I can at least consistently hit a torso at 20 yards. Last thing I want to happen is be forced to use it and then miss and hit an innocent. I guess until I've gained the confidence I'll have to deal with the 1911 bulge in my shirt, I know where those rounds will hit well past the twenty yard line!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 8 months ago #27333

I'm getting closer to what I think I need but the primer strikes are still erratic. No malfunctions yet.
The first is 50 rounds of federal 115gr FMJ

The last is 30 or so rounds, I didn't count, of WWB 115gr FMJ

I shot 14 rounds of hornady Critical Duty, I was not impressed with the results. It was the worst of the bunch and the most expensive. I finished up on that target with my 45 so it just went in the trash. Looks like the little Sig likes 115gr best. These were all off hand, no bench for support and 7 yards out.
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 8 months ago #27461

Now I'm getting failure to extracts, 3 out of 100 today. :banghead:
back it goes, again!

LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #29455

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Sig 938 Range Report

I have not read your whole thread: have you tried 124 gr?
10 years 6 months ago #29456

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Sig 938 Range Report

Up to this point it has functioned with everything from 115 to 147. I've been shooting at least 100 rounds every Sunday morning, had one FTE last week and now three, all with 115 but if it won't shoot the cheaper range ammo it will have to go.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #29458

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Sig 938 Range Report

Gotchya, send it back with these notes:

Round count estimate: xxx # of factory loads.

Cleaned/lubed after: xxx # of rounds.

Failure to extract. (extractor tension or magazine problem?)

Barrel does not lock-up in battery. (lugs, bushing, barrel fitment?)

Lack of accuracy at 7 yds is unacceptable.

Request a BNIB pistol, either another 938 or whatever you like. Can you tell me what the production date is on the box?

While I trust my life to a couple of SIG handguns, the 9mm 1911 compact platform is relatively new for them at SIG, and compact 1911s are known to be finicky as all hell for all manufacturers except STI and a couple others. It's nothing personal, though I know it feels that way when it's your time/money sending rounds downrange doing factory beta testing.
10 years 6 months ago #29460

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Sig 938 Range Report

22 May 2013 is the born on date. I got a couple email addresses from some guys on Sigtalk so I'm going to email pictures of the issues. It will be a few weeks before I get home to mail it in. I'm not sure where I'll be heading next so I have to mail it from home and then have the wife bring it to me when I get "settled " on the next job.
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to push harder this time, I had just assumed they would square it away before they sent it back the last time, silly me!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #29470

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!