Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Sig 938 Range Report

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Sig 938 Range Report

Just got the 938 back today. It's cold and raining here in Iowa so the test fire will have to wait a day or so. They got the request wrong again. They listed it as light primer strikes instead of inconsistent.
The Gunsmith notes are as follows;
Inspected pistol.
Removed excessive lubrication from the slide and barrel.
Cleaned firing pin channel.
Replaced mainspring.
Function tested and test fired over 50 rounds with no malfunctions. The failure to extract and inconsistent primer strikes cannot be duplicated. targeted the pistol at 10 yards, target returned with pistol.
The pistol operates as designed it is within factory specifications for fit, function, finish, and accuracy.

Sounds like I'm just a boob that doesn't properly clean and lubricate his weapon. :ohmy: :pinch: I clean the firing pin channel with carbon remover on a pipe cleaner after every range trip,100-200 rounds, I didn't clean it before shipping so they could look at the condition it was in when it malfunctioned.
I put a caliper to the 7 empty cases they sent back with the pistol, from the primer strike to the nearest spot on the rim they measure;
.1835 (looked centered)
The target included has a 7 shot group with a 1.42 spread, center to center. No mention if the cases included are from this group or if this was a machine rest group. :unsure:
The barrel still slops back and forth and the primer strikes are are obviously not consistent, but I guess this is all to Sig specs and tolerances??????? :unsure:
I'll report back after a couple hundred rounds to see if the mainspring solves the FTE issue for me. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 6 months ago #29786

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I sent the above information and questions to Sig, here is their response;
"Jim,

Thanks for the email. I understand your frustrations but based off the gunsmiths notes we have the firearm working properly. As far as the target included, all of our firearms are test fired by the gunsmiths, they are not fired from a bench rest or a machine rest. We put down light primer strikes indicating at times the firearm struck the primer but did not strike hard enough to fire the round. As far as cleaning and lubricating, we recommended a grease for the rails, which is applied and excess is wiped off. For the internals we recommend a gun oil applied enough that it can leave a fingerprint on the surface but not too much as to have run off (if you tilt the barrel there should be no run off). The firearm should be fired at the range in the same condition as when carried. It’s good to have oil on hand or grease incase lubrication is needed in a range session. I have attached a pdf copy of Sig Sauer pistol lubrication points reference. As far as the firing pin channel I would also recommend compressed air, at times a pipe cleaner will remove most of the debris/carbon but it can also lead to build up as well in the channel. No lubrication is needed in the firing pin channel. Any other questions or concerns feel free to reply back through email or give me a call directly."
Here is the lubrication guide;
blu178.mail.live.com/default.aspx?id=648...tdepth=1&n=553875501

I should be able to fire the pistol today. Any suggestions on what would be a fair round count?
I'm used to my 1911, I can shoot 500+ rounds without any worries from not cleaning, it doesn't fail then I just can't stand the grunge so I usually clean it then if not sooner.
Is 200 trouble free rounds too much to ask from this little gun?
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #29797

No love from the 938 today. :(
Third round of the second magazine after getting it back from Sig;

:banghead: :censored: :banghead: :mad: :banghead: :censored:
It did handle the next 80 rounds without issue but :censored:
I hate to give up on the thing as I'm starting to hit pretty good even with a rapid pace and I have a ton of money spent on ammo to get there. I'm not sure I can politely deal with Sig customer service any longer...........
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #29828

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Sig 938 Range Report

No, it should be able to handle 200+ trouble-free rounds.

Have your lawyer call them and tell them you want a BNIB replacement. Unacceptable production/service does not come out of your pocket.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by 10-76.
10 years 6 months ago #29840

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Sig 938 Range Report

JT-how's this runnin?
10 years 3 months ago #33423

Fine if I clean it every 100 rounds :( After 100 rounds it starts having failure to extract issues.
When my LGS gets one of these;
www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-scorpion.aspx
I'm going to make a trade.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 3 months ago #33425

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!