Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Reflex Sights

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Reflex Sights

Only common sense fellas..........a red dot ain't worth a piss on a sniper rifle!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32309

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Reflex Sights

Truth....
10 years 4 months ago #32311

Honestly, I could not imagine using a red dot like an AimPoint at a target over 100.
I have engaged targets out to 300 with AimPoints in the past, but with old eyes, I like my ACOG and scopes
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32312

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Reflex Sights

I've never touched an Acog but I have shot out to 200 yards with my M4 using the lil red dot and slugs just to see how it would go. D

It's nothing I would want to have to try and "pin point" shoot out to any REAL distances with a rifle though and I agree about the "old eyes" thing. I've got a case of that as well to go along with my "old rest O me".... :laugh:

If you plan on shooting a guy through the eye at virtually ANY distance consistently, I would stick with a scope.

For takin out mass amounts of approaching Zombies at close range with a carbine though, well, it might be handy just to have one around... :)
10 years 4 months ago #32313

My. .308 bolt gun recently got a Mark IV 4.5-14

The ACOG is awesome........picked up the TA33r-h
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32319

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Reflex Sights

Kayo and Wrench are spot on. I wanted to know how the Site Mark would hold up so I have been torture testing one for going on 2 years and the round count is pretty impressive, It has a quick throw mount, it has been on all my weapons and some friends , every time I us it I drop it on purpose. I am serious. I thought I had a problem early on but it was just a loose battery cover screw ( ie my fault). It has survived over 1K rounds 250-300 would be 12G slugs and buck shot another 250 would be 223 and the remainder is 308 and 7.62R AP. Forgot another 400 rounds on my sons AK. It is still going strong, if it survives this treatment for another couple of years I will give it my stamp of approval.
10 years 4 months ago #32325

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Reflex Sights

Going to get me one :woohoo: never used anything that fancy and if it doesn't hold up on the 5.56 then it goes to the cat tamer, no I don't kill'em just let them know I'm watching :whistle:
AKAI
10 years 4 months ago #32328

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Reflex Sights

www.cabelas.com/product/Center-Point-Tac...ex-Sight/1412024.uts
Well, I guess I could have at least posted the Cabelas ad.
Reg. a hundred bucks, on sale for $24.99.
And so, now, after finding the ad and specs. and what not.
It is telling Me for close range, and, from everyones posts, that I want to thank all of You for, it would not be good for the real long distance shooter.
So, the scope it still is. :cowboy: :rotfl:
It might be good thingk fur onea Mine twenntwo rifles though.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 4 months ago #32340

Low cost optics are definitely worth trying. However, over the years, and having about 15 of these lower prices optics take a crap on me, I have given up on them. Call me a brand snob, what ever you like. However, there is nothing worse than having a varmint shoot, range trip or just a day plinking ruined when a POS optic take a a dive.
Also as I am getting a bit older, my eyes appreciate a higher quality lense that higher prices optics offer.

Leupold
Trijicon
AimPoint
EoTech

These are what you find in my safe.......I've earned the right to treat myself well with these. I am not dogging anyone that prefers a $65 Simmons, that are great, for the money. Just like a Mercedes offers a higher quality car than Kia.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32343

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Reflex Sights

And, with scopes.
I "once" tried a BSA, when they were first coming to America in force. I purchased one, I do`nt remember how much but I thought, if it does`nt work, I wo`nt be out too much.
A nicely built scope, with a lot of options, also with lenses that are less than ideal. It works but I would not purchase another BSA product just on My experience with one of their products.
Today, I will spend the money and get it right the first time, with a brand name that can be trusted and relied on.
Upon a recommendation from a counter person at the local hardware stor, My son purchased a Sightron scope for a 6mm-06 rifle He had put together. That is a very nice piece of optics and at the time, when they first were coming onto the market, turned out to be a real keeper.
Not too often does that happen, usually, as stated it turns into a crap shoot, but, a shooting gallery I will avoid since that first BSA scope was purchased.
Besides Leopold and Burris I have one Shepard scope that was given to Me by My cousin, before I make a purchase, I now do some investigating, such as threading the Center Point in here.Not too many forums can a person ask and get good answers from the varying members, This forum happens to be the best.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 4 months ago #32344

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!