Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Reflex Sights

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Reflex Sights

My first red dot was a Sightron, it was on my Colt HBAR for years. Still have it, still works.
10 years 4 months ago #32345

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Reflex Sights

I have always said: 'cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap'...but cheap is relative and in today's world of optics we are seeing an incredible amount of competition in the marketplace. Most products are from China and range of junk to great quality and everything in between.

Japan did something similar but they mostly chose to go HIGH END optics and today some of the worlds best come out of Japan. They did so because in the early days making optics was every expensive and difficult so high end was the way to go. Today technology has vastly improved and is obtainable at the manuf level. Just like the price of AR's has dropped dramatically. The bottom line is cheap today can still bring acceptable quality.

This brings us around to the OP question. YES, but it and there are several reason why:

1) Never had one, then now is your chance to get in at a price point that is not painful

2) Never used one, then now is your chance to use and see if you like it or just get used to it and then move on to a high end model

Sure it makes sense especially to the novice. I have about $1400 tied up in scopes and I have 3 for my ARs, of the $1400 my Trijcon costs almost $1200 and it was my last buy, not my first...
10 years 4 months ago #32351

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by dfc5343 on topic Reflex Sights

At short range a good set of irons do the trick for me. Red dots/reflex for me are short range only and don't belong on a 762 platform IMO. B)

I had an Aimpoint on a SOCOM 16 in the scout config. Hated both and now they are gone. My M1A had a MK4 LR/T on it. I sold the rifle and now the MK4 sits on my Rem 700. That rifle is scary accurate. For my AR10 I glass packed a TA11J ACOG w/iron flip ups. My Ruger 10/22 has the Bushnell ACOG clone on it. For $100 it is awesome. The only reflex I have is like the original posting asked is a cheap Sightmark mini and its on my 1000 FPS pellet gun. Its perfect for those 25 yd. shots. I say buy cheap on a reflex, play with it and then find your wants and needs threshold. Thinks of all the fun you can have! :usa:
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by dfc5343.
10 years 4 months ago #32355

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Reflex Sights

I have never tried to see how far I could push a reflex up til today. I just got back from the range. Went to the 600yd line, hung a steel IDPA target at 350m. Conditions are 8-10F with 20 knot wind with gusts to thirty and blowing snow (wind chill well below the zero mark), good time for winter training. Besides had a new rifle to put through its paces. Rifle RRA 5.56 varmint 20", reflex was a BSA cheapo. After zero was set went to work on the steel. I fired 20 rounds from the bench with gloves on and rang the steel eighteen times. Not to bad for adverse conditions, demonstrates that the effective range of a reflex is somewhere beyond 350m. Man that was F'ing cold. Out
10 years 4 months ago #32371

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Reflex Sights

I can see that being possible.........have never tried it over about 150.
It's 21 here now, too damn cold for a range trip today for my arse!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32372

Again, as Kayo mentioned, what diameter was the gong target? It would be interesting to see the group size on a paper target, scope vs reflex at 350 yards. For general tactical, no doubt will work. For precision, guessing the scope would do better. But no doubt reflex can reach out there.
10 years 4 months ago #32373

Are you FIRGGIN KIDDIN, not bad, hell man you had almost a 35 mph wind, I would not have been surprised if you had said you hit 2x and missed 18x with that kind of wind...good, NO GREAT shooting Lib...
10 years 4 months ago #32374

:I-agree:
Our range has three feet of snow on the road in so I won't be shooting for a while. Plus we had a high of -2F today.
10 years 4 months ago #32378

That is not right...

I was on Ft Hood, Sugar Loaf PK Mortar range when a BITTER Arctic cold front blew thru. Not sure how cold, by my canteen froze solid on my hip, Chapstick frozen solid in my pocket under my field jacket. Wind was HOWLING, we were making major adjustments to comp for wind (Mortar is high angle fire and really affected by the wind.

Temps were down around 0 and windchill in the way down (-) temps.

Everytime we would fire a round in those 4.2" mortars, the tubes would RING like a telephone. In my 3 years of being a 4.2" Mortar plt Ldr I never hear that sound again...
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 4 months ago #32380

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Reflex Sights

A lot of very good and informative information in here.
And so, the cheap~O~BSA that I would be afraid to spend twenty ti fourty bucks on, could actually be a good entry level sight, before moving on to the bigger, better, faster and more sighting systems.
Six hundred yards, that is mighty impressive, especially the telling of the adverse weather conditions. Wind chill involed would be between -8 and -35* F. I must say, You have a lot more desire to be in the cold than I. The front axle actuator on My pickup burned out, it is 9* out, I am not willing to even open the garage door to get the pickup in to change that, let alone lay out in a snow bank to get the job done, warmer days a coming. I must say though, that I admire Your endurance and spirit for being out there in the cold.
Next problem. a bunch of years back, I charged up some credit cards, have been really living on a very low budget, but, 2 of them cards is paid offt, about 2,000 on two others, one of which is within about 150 bucks, it will be paid offt this month, Christmas is going to be mighty slim, The wifey will get nothing for Me, I will get nothing for the wifey, the childrens will get nothing, the grandchildrens will each get a crisp 20 dollar bill to do with whatever they would want.
I will not make any purchases unless I talk it over with the wifey first to make a decision to or not to purchase, She came on board while I was first trying to get debt free, and every dollar spent to make a purchase online, is another couple of bucks from getting the cards paid offt, and so, to be able to make the purchase, or to want to, may take some soul searching, even for less than thirty bucks.
I`m a working on it.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 4 months ago #32383

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!