Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

Building my AR10

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Building my AR10

I'm still waiting on the buffer tube, trigger group, , M-308 scope, and selector switch. As soon as these arrive I'll get them installed and take some finished photos....then shoot it! :thumbs:
9 years 10 months ago #38872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Building my AR10

Very nice build........
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightForce
9 years 10 months ago #38875

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Building my AR10

Lookin good Night Force! Good idea about the Never Seize, prevent headaches later on.
:thumbs:
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 10 months ago #38878

I'm glad I went back and reread everyone's post.

JP Enterprise does offer some very nice components but they're not cheep by any means. If their specifications and higher initial costs yield superior performance I consider it money well spent.

Cowboy, the assembly went very smooth and all the JP Enterprise components fit like a glove, I was really that impressed. What wasn't included was what they deem "DPMS" standard parts; ie firing pin, can pin, firing pin retainer.

When I went to assemble the bolt carrier assembly I discovered two things; the cam pin would not fit into the bolt and the firing pin hung up in the bolt a bit.

After taking some measurements, the Teflon coating on the bolt was a hair too thick. Using a Dremel, a couple of felt tips, and some Orange and Yellow diamond compound, I polished the hole to a mirror finish. For principal, I also polished the cam pin and firing pin.

Lubricating both the bolt and individual parts, everything slipped together like a precision watch and I'm satisfied with the results... :thumbs:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
9 years 10 months ago #38888

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Building my AR10

I am amazed you have not run into more issues. I attribute that to being a smart guy who built your gun on paper before you ordered the parts. That took a lot of research to sort out and I certainly commend you for that.

When i my off road and fabrication shop I commonly encountered guys who wanted parts installed based upon the latest issue of Offroad be us. More often than not I could talk them out of it but sometime I just pushed them over to other off road shops who would bolt on anything for a price. Now we are seeing the same thing in the world of black guns. Guys running around with a AR composed of all the trendy latest mods and add on's. Then sooner or later they take it to the range and nothing works well or even right. You clearly managed to avoid many of the pitfalls that are so common... :twothumbs:
9 years 10 months ago #38982

Cowboy,

Thanks for the complements.. :thumbs:

You're right, I did spend quite a bit of time and calling suppliers to dig into dimensions and specifications. The guys at JP Enterprises were great to deal with. For the most part I dealt with Mel Koenig, the General Manager out at JP to ensure everything went "smoothly" once I had the parts sitting on my bench.. :twothumbs:
9 years 10 months ago #38983

Today the build progressed and is near completion! :drool:

Everything is I have is completely assembled. The A2 buffer tube, silent capture buffer spring, and Magpul PRS stock went on today and this beauty is looking more and more like a rifle every day.

I stopped by the gun shop today and a Nikon M-308 4-16 BDC 800 was sitting on the counter with my name on it, things are looking good!

The only thing I'm waiting for is the Geissele SSA-E Trigger group.
9 years 10 months ago #38984

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Building my AR10

I do not think I am speaking only for myself but every reader; I am looking forward to this and your range report as much as if it were my own weapon :twothumbs:
9 years 10 months ago #38993

As soon as it's "fully assembled" I'll take a couple of photos and post them here. :twothumbs:

I picked up a couple of boxes of PMC factory ammo for its maiden voyage and barrel break-in.

I need to measure the chamber to determine maximum cartridge overall length for load development. My plan is to shoot 168 grain and 175 grain HPBT Match tips and also some 165 grain soft points.

Once the testing begins, I'll post the results here.... :thumbs:
9 years 10 months ago #38994

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Building my AR10

I am loading up 100 168 gr HPBT and a 100 175 gr HPBT both Sierra Match kings, and see which my two AR10's like. Will have a report on that in the near future.
9 years 10 months ago #38997

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!