Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

New Member Introductions!

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:New Member Introductions!

txlongshot I don't think there is but 2 of us that are old SOTIC guys out here but that don't mean much. I still run the advanced armors school for these rifles and it takes alot to get them shooting but they will shoot with the bolt rifles if done right. Most of it is in the tube thats on them or lowest bider on barrels. So welcom aboard.MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4551

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:New Member Introductions!

txlongshotb4- welcome to the group!!! there is a LOT of knowledge here so pester away!! :laugh: My go to guy is MSH as i see he already greeted you. And thanks for serving our country!
13 years 10 months ago #4554

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Maestro Pistolero on topic Re:New Member Introductions!

I find it interesting, but not surprising the you chose Armalite for your personal 7.62 gun. Why did the military opt for the KA, and why didn't you just go with one of those?
13 years 10 months ago #4560

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Thats a good guestion but Reed Knight told the IG that all the rifles that hit the public market were 2nds. That went over very well. And from the looks inside the barrels he was right.MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4564

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re:New Member Introductions!

Well,there are two main reasons I did'nt go with the Knight's gun.First,they just outright want too much money to hand one over,and second,I have heard horrible rumors about KAC customer service.I cannot confirm nor deny these rumors,but I can certainly tell you that they are expensive...so Armalite was my go to.I actually tried to go to G.A.Precision...I have some bolt guns from George and they are excellent rifles...but the wait for one of his AR-10 guns rivals that of the next alien spacecraft landing,so I decided to go with Armalite as a base platform.
13 years 10 months ago #4565

MSH
Pleased to meet you...Your knowledge comes recommended,as you can see from the thread!

Well I suppose,first and formost,i need to ask the question of inherent accuracy...The bolt gun community swears that anything semi-auto cannot rival a good bolt gun in the accuracy catigory,yet the gas-gun community quite often calls shinnanigans...so that leaves me with no baseline with which to separate fact from fiction/fantasy from reality/and most importantly,acceptable accuracy vs. keep tweaking.

Going off of my bolt gun standards-I accept no less than 1/2 M.O.A.out of a bolt gun such as a G.A.P.with a good load,and that is a pretty realistic expectation of the same.That said,and with the understanding that I will have to work with my load and see what she likes to eat,what kind of accuracy should I expect to get out of this thing,stock barrell,and what kind of accuracy could I expect with a good,aftermarket barrell installed,suck as a Mike Rock or a Hart tube? Is there any hope of meeting or exceeding the .5 M.O.A. personal standard I hold bolt guns too,and if so...How do I get it there?
13 years 10 months ago #4566

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

You did fine I don't know that I wouldn't have gotten a DPMS in 260 to stretch the range out some. The IG just got back from A-stand and he come by the shop and was talking about the same thing for over there. The 338 Lapua is canned so You all will have to work the 300 Mag as best you can. It will give you 1200yds and we got you new ammo coming for it good stuff.MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4567

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

txlongshot PM me we need to go of the site on some of this stuff. I need your mil.net address.
MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4568

Oh yes...about your question regarding why the Army chose the KAC gun...

I have no idea.What I CAN tell you is,the Army has a looooong history of letting the people who work behind the desks choose the gear that the grunts will carry into combat without so much as a thought of inquisition from the end user...A prime example of this can be seen in the ACU uniform,which blends with nothing on Earth accept for gravel parking lots-which I can only speculate is located in front of the building in which the desk at which the person whom approved them sits,and that same parking lot is as far as his field testing would allow him to travel without the risk of missing lunch.

The word around the water cooler is that the Army actually chose to field the M-110 as a direct result of feedback from actuall shooters in Afghanistan and Iraq,who desired to trade the ability to follow through with second and third shots,at the cost of range and accuracy...what I can tell you about this theory is the following...SNIPERS didn't make that call.Sounds to me like the Squad Designated Marksmen made this call...But there in,that is the type of mission we find ourselves in more and more these days.The Traditional ifill/destroy/exfill days are out,the modern support of the Infantry company on the ground is the new gig...think precision support by fire.

Don't get me wrong,the M-110 is a welcome addition to the bag of tricks...but I think that the M-24 still has a home here...there are still I.E.D.interdiction missions that keep our guys plenty busy...I am getting off the subject...

Anyhow,to make a long story short,they did it like they always do...they threw out what they were looking for,several companies came to the plate,backs were scratched,budgets were inflated,deflated,misappropriated,reappropriated,cancelled,kicked around,squandered,and beuracracy shined on,and in the end KAC emerged the victor,having the coolest,shiniest,neat-o-ist gadget to show the desk jockeys who sign the checks...the end.
13 years 10 months ago #4569

PM sent.
13 years 10 months ago #4570

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!