Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New rifle being built

• Thank you received: 96

New rifle being built was created by txlongshotb4

Well, I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on a new rifle build this morning. ( I've posted t here because it isn't an AR 10 type gun.)

I have commissioned Cooper custom rifles out of Montana to build my next gun. It will be a bolt action .308 built on Cooper's proprietary 3 lug action. Cooper's rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1/2 Minute of angle or better with factory ammo-I'm sure I can tighten it up even more with custom loads. Cooper is known for building some of the most beautiful rifles available, and this one will be no different. While I did not opt for grade III French Walnut, The finished product will certainly stand apart from the half dozen tactical rifles I own, which is something I've always wanted...a showpiece type gun that can shoot as good as it looks.

I was tempted to have it chambered for the .300 RUM. That caliber, in a gun that can shoot 1/2 moa or better, is an easy one mile capable gun...but I'm just not too keen on obligating myself to feeding something so expensive.

Anyhow, don't hold your breath for pictures or range reports...t'll be six to eight months before I have it in hand, but unofficial reports indicate that some builds are taking over a year...but patience is a virtue here, and good things come to those who wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarbineAR10
10 years 3 months ago #34070

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic New rifle being built

Scheels, a local sporting goods chain, has Cooper make a series of rifles for them so I've had the chance to inspect them up close. They are top notch in the fit and finish department and all come with a test target that has one tiny hole in it. I've considered one but my AR-10 still out shoots my ability so I've convinced myself it would be a waste of a good rifle.
Looking forward to your evaluation :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 3 months ago #34074

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New rifle being built

That will be an heirloom gun.
10 years 3 months ago #34081

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic New rifle being built

:whip: Crackin the whip onYuh. geterdone, We wanna see toooh. :whip: :cowboy: :whip: :cowboy: :sharkey:
An heirloom indeedeee.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 3 months ago #34083

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic New rifle being built

I've been on a detailed tour of Cooper. The use CNC as well as hand operated machines. Every rifle is hand fitted and assembled. It then goes to the test range on site where the rifle is test fired with ammunition loaded on site or factory ammo depending on what the customer wants.

They take as good care of employees as they do customers.

Most of the people that started with Cooper are still there.

The rifles they build are Heirloom quality.
10 years 3 months ago #34088

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic New rifle being built

It's positive feedback like this that makes me glad I went ahead and did it, but man o man...it sure is going to make the wait hurt! I had heard of this company before, but it wasn't until I saw them at the SHOT show and got to put one in my hands that I knew I had to get one. That test target that was mentioned earlier-the one with one tiny little hole-was the final straw-I was hooked. My rifle is a model 54 Vartac. The test gun was chambered in 6.5 x 284, and the 3 shot group really was one tiny little hole.
Here's the kicker...for what they build, Cooper really doesn't charge a whole lot. Total cost on my rifle was $2,699.00. That sounds like a chunk of change, and it is-unless you start to compare it to what you would pay for some of the other custom rifles out there. You can't get even a base rifle from GA precision for that. Robar, which is only semi-custom, costs twice that...and both companies offer the same 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee. You'll get a great tactical rifle from either, but heirloom quality, they don't even do.
It should be mentioned here...My wife is awesome. I came home and told her about this great rifle I saw, and she tried to order it for me as a surprise gift...but 10 minutes on the phone, and she knew she was in uncharted territory. She pretty much handed me her credit card and said "Order it."

Hands off fellers...she's mine!
10 years 3 months ago #34093

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic New rifle being built

Hey SOC...If I have them range-proof my gun with hand loaded ammo, will they send me a chamber blueprint and/or the specs on the load? That would save me an awful lot of time at the bench with R and D on the hand load.
10 years 3 months ago #34094

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic New rifle being built

Call them and ask, if you have a pet handload they may chamber it to your specs. IE "I want to use bullet xxx loaded .005 off the lands and still feed reliably from the internal magazine.
10 years 3 months ago #34095

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New rifle being built

Longshot, this is one range report I will definitely look forward to. For a rifle like that, is there a pretty comprehensive barrel break in protocol? Or do they take care of that as well?
10 years 3 months ago #34096

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New rifle being built

TxLong, wow, you are gonna get a BANG (no pun intended) out of this weapon. Went to their website, for sure they are no hit or miss (no pun intended) outfit and at that price they are certainly straight shooters (no pun intended). You are definitely on target (no pun intended) with this add to your arsenal... :twothumbs:
10 years 3 months ago #34099

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!