Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New rifle being built

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New rifle being built

Gotta ask: Cowboy, did someone give you a Roget's pocket Thesaurus for Christmas? Three puns in one paragraph!
10 years 3 months ago #34101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic New rifle being built

Oh custom guns WOW they can't be beat if done correct and the price seem reasonable! Some places get way out of line in price, but if people are willing to pay :huh: I have a couple of heirloom quality guns and they are all shooters. To bad that the factories all don't make weapons of high quality right off the floor, yes there are some that do and these are usually what attract my eye. Just like your wife sounds like you found a keeper :thumbs: enjoy for a lifetime and pass it on.
AKAI
10 years 3 months ago #34104

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic New rifle being built

As the owner of a Cooper JSR 22lr I can say these are excellent rifles.

I have been considering a 308 model myself but I am leaning towards a Remington since I want to take it out and use it. The Coopers are so beautiful that I can't bear to beat it up in the field.

But I have noticed one problem with them. They are so good that there is really nothing to modify or talk about. The Cooper forum on RFC is dead as a doornail. About all we do is complain about order times, trade pictures and say... nice wood. They just work.
10 years 3 months ago #34147

Longshot: The days go slow when you are waiting for something you really want, don't they? It will be worth it though.
10 years 3 months ago #34153

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic New rifle being built

Longshot: The days go slow when you are waiting for something you really want, don't they? It will be worth it though.

I have heard from more than one source that the wait for this gun might be even greater than what I was quoted. I'm not going to let myself get to invested in thinking about it...Or I'll go feral and live in the garage, mumbling ballistics tables and working up loads for a gun I don't even have yet.

The thing about this rifle is that there are no pictures on the internet or in magazines that can show me what it will look like. I saw one at the SHOT show that was pretty much what I wanted, but it is a custom order, so it's kind of like expecting a kid... this thing will arrive in several months and I only kind of know what it will look like.
10 years 3 months ago #34173

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE;
As previously mentioned, I was not expecting to hear anything about this rifle until around September at the very latest-so you all can imagine my surprise when I got the call from the Cooper dealer I bought the rifle from. I figured they would call when they were about to start the build, and verify that all of the info and specs were correct. One better- they were calling to tell me that the rifle was ready! So, I paid the man his due balance, he shipped me my rifle, and so without further adieu...

(now, I hope that shows up-I've had some bad luck with pictures here in the past.)

Here as well, is a picture of that included test target that has been mentioned in this thread.

Just for the sake of sayin', there ain't no bullet hole underneath that pencil...I just put it there to give a scale reference...a 3 shot group just slightly larger than a pencil eraser...I'LL TAKE IT!

I've been all over this rifle like maggots on a carcass, and I can not find one single blemish...no machine marks, no gaps, no inconsistencies in wood fittings, nothing. I've even bore scoped the bore, and the lands and grooves are mirror polished. The craftsmanship is incredible.

A bit of a side note-around March or April, I called and made a change to the order. I had the rifle chambered in .260 Remington as opposed to the original chambering of .308 Winchester. After a lot of research, I have found that the .260 is very superior to the .308 in long range applications. With good hand loads in the 142 grain Sierra MK variety, I can push this rifle on out to 1200+ meters-and the .260 Remington rivals the .300 Win Mag in ability to "buck the wind". A .260 Remington is a .308 brass necked down to a 6.5mm bullet. So- with the same, or slightly less powder than would be needed for a .308 round, I can send a lighter bullet about 200 to 400 meters further, with better wind abilities. It was a no- brainer for me.

Anyhow, my first time to send rounds downrange with this rifle will be Saturday...and boy, is it taking it's sweet time getting here. I am only going to put about 40 rounds through it. I never did get around to buying reloading dies and bullets for it, because I wasn't expecting it to be done yet. I ran out to Bass Pro Shop and bought some factory stuff- .260 Rem isn't the easiest caliber to find these days- and so I will zero, chrono, and do barrel break in at the same time. Then I am going to plug in the velocity to my ballistics calculator, and try to get some long range hits in from that data. I've never been lucky enough to get the computer model to be spot on, and I don't have enough ammo to fine tune it-but I will try none the less.

What I will indeed have for sure, however, is a good 100 yard group established-so there will be a range report very soon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, OleCowboy, Libertarian623, NightForce
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by txlongshotb4.
9 years 11 months ago #39877

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic New rifle being built

SWEET! :drool: Can't wait to hear more, maybe I should stop drooling and start saving for my own......
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 11 months ago #39879

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic New rifle being built

Congratulations!! :twothumbs:

That rifle looks like a keeper for sure! All quality rifles should come with a test target proving it lives up to its quality... :thumbs:

Good luck with it! :cheers:
9 years 11 months ago #39885

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Longshot, that is one fine looking rifle. Smart move on the 260 Remington. Looking forward to the range report and follow ups when you start to reload.
9 years 11 months ago #39892

Hello all

I've been quite the busy guy here lately, but I made some time to get this rifle out to the range and I am VERY happy with the results.

This was my initial 5 shot group @ 100 yards. The bore sight turned out to be right on, as I shot this group without making any corrections whatsoever to the scope. ( I have since corrected the scope and am now center bullseye.)

This group was shot with Federal Premium Vital Shock loads-120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I am very impressed with this as a group with factory ammo. I have since bought some Lapua 144 grain Scenars to reload with-the BC on those bullets are .636! I can't wait to see what they can do!

My plan is to neck down some .308 brass to make .260 cases, and then turn and ream the necks. I can get some very precise cases that way. I have a full length sizer for the conversion and then a neck sizer for after they are formed to the chamber-hence, I really won't see the results until the second loading-but I think my plan is a good one...more to follow!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by txlongshotb4. Reason: typos
9 years 10 months ago #40452

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!