Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Failure to Feed

• Thank you received: 0

Failure to Feed was created by kuehn_30

My Armalite is having problems cycling another shell into the chamber after the shell is ejected, happen at randome times, the shell going into the chamber will make it about half the way in and the bolt will not put it all the way in what would be the problem of this, could it be my barel has turned alittle and not line up with bolt. I have no idea need some help Thanks
11 years 5 months ago #13278

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Failure to Feed

I doubt it would be the barrel, most of these issues seem to relate to gas levels, buffer, and buffer spring if not ammo related. This is just a guess from what I've read on the subject, mine has been 100% so far :twothumbs: Any changes in the ammo your using?
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 5 months ago #13286

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Failure to Feed

A couple of questions:

Has the rifle exhibited this problem since you've had it or has it just started?

What sort of lube are you using and how much?

Does it have this problem regardless of the magazine you're using?

Does it have this problem regardless of the ammo you use?

EDITTED TO ADD:

I just read your post concerning the Troy FF sleeve you just put on your rifle. Did you recently replace the gas block? If so, I'd wager the gas block is slightly off center with the gas port, or the gas block isn't tight enough to get a good seal on the barrel.
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: Additional Information
11 years 5 months ago #13292

Replied by h53mechanic on topic Failure to Feed

My brother encouraged me by buying an Armalite AR10(T) 7.62X51 for Christmas. I'm truly infatuated with this weapon.

I have had my problems:

1) During initial shooting and run in the weapon jammed.
2) After several attempts to correct the problem the ammo is expensive.
Situation; using 7.62 ammo 150 gr for the first 100 rounds about every third round maybe in some cases 2nd round. The bolt group would not feed the ammo into the breach resulting in dry firing or would catch the round where the ejector relief grove is and partially move it into the throat causing the jammed bolt. Another several cold runs and in-depth cleaning found (corrosion prevention compound) CPC in one of the 10 round magazines. Performed proper cleaning of the CPC from the mag. Then found the Magazine release to be loose and tighten. With another 7.62 150 gr 100 rounds went to the range 1st clip worked like a dream. the rest were fowled. Removed the bottom cover from the magazines lightly lubed inside walls, then was able to finish the ammo off with out incident. I do not know if the adjustment, cleaning and lube was the fix for this problem but I'm hoping.
Lubrication is Rem oil.
Ammo Federal & Hornady.
Problem was sense new and has seamed to subside.
Two of the magazines came with my rifle and two (20round) were purchased aftermarket, all of them are Armalite.
I'm looking for suggestions to correct this problem.
The best thing is I'm 1/3 of the way to complete my new AR-10(T) run in. Just because I have some problems, it is still fun to shoot.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by h53mechanic.
11 years 4 months ago #14880

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Failure to Feed

There was a post not long ago that seemed similar. They cleaned and polished inside the magazines with automotive wet/dry paper. The suggestions earlier in this post are about as solid as they get. Come back and let us know how things go!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 4 months ago #14892

To quote the Dixie Chicks, "There's your trouble." Rem Oil is pretty thin and tends to run off/burn off quickly.

From looking at the photos of the malfunction, the BCG and upper receiver look very dry. AR10s are built on the snug side, so use some additional lube. I would also oil the buffer spring as well.

Disassemble your mags and look at the interior of the mag body, sometimes they can have a rough surface that can interfere with the operation of the spring. Lube and a green scratch pad will smooth them out nicely.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #14901

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Failure to Feed

Nice catch on the oil thing Leb.

Now that I look closer at the photos, that rifle is like the Sahara Desert compared to how I ran mine during break-in. I just lubed the crap out of it and blasted a couple hundred 180s through it until it was smooth as silk. I ran probably 60 through it, pulled the bolt, checked for odd marks on that and inside the chamber, lubed it some more and kept right on going.

Now when I use 150s or pretty much anything for that matter, I run with less oil and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever and have never had a jam or misfire (knock on wood).

Yea, I know. Not the most scientific break in method but I'm not the most scientific GUY you ever met either... :)
11 years 4 months ago #14902

^THIS.

Remember - Stoner's expanding gas system does have a piston, the BCG. Just like in your car, a piston requires lube to work properly. If it doesn't, the piston freezes up from heat and soot (carbon) build up.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #14903

I think we may have the answer. I believe the rem Oil burning off and the BCG not working correctly; due to improper lubrication may be the problem. I will put this theory to the test tomorrow and let yall know. I did put 65 rounds through one 10 round magazine no jams until we fired round 53. This was me thinking I fixed something. My suspicions are correct,failure was delayed by treating the symptom. I think we really may be on to something.
11 years 4 months ago #14933

The test results are in and it still wants to miss-feed rounds about every 15. I did order some LW25B Lubrication results will be forth coming.
11 years 4 months ago #15252

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!