Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Failure to Feed

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Failure to Feed

While you're waiting for the new lube to come in, might not hurt just to give your mags a good once over with some of that green pot scubber pad on the inside make certain that there are no burrs and it is nice and smooth and then finish with a very light coat of oil - just to be sure.
11 years 4 months ago #15256

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Failure to Feed

Sorry to hear about your continuing frustrations with the rifle.

Failure to feed about once every 15 rounds. What's your ejection pattern look like? ie, clock direction and distance the spent case goes.

Also, take a light and shine it into the chamber. It should be shiny and smooth. What do you see?
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: Additional comments
11 years 4 months ago #15261

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Failure to Feed

I noticed something in your pics. Mystery scractches in this area.

Compared to the same area in my upper.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

????

Check your ejector and make sure it is moving freely. No crunchiness or binding. Soak the bolt in oil, and work the ejector with a piece of brass hooked under the ejector EXTRACTOR.

This image is hidden for guests.

Also, What stock and buffer are you running? Does your BCG travel all the way back?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by 13fcolt.
11 years 4 months ago #15269

This message has attachments images.

Good eye. But I think the scratches are from the cam pin rubbing against the receiver wall as it moves back and forth, which is pretty common. A couple of my ARs have similar markings. After the parts wear in, it won't get any worse and really doesn't affect the rifle in the long term.

H53, earlier you wrote that you tightened the mag release. Perhaps you over tightened it. You may want to try backing it off a bit. My thinking is that perhaps the mag is now slightly too high.

I hope it's not the ejector. Man, I hate dealing with those things. Small parts under a lot of spring pressure are not a good combination.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #15309

I know the scratching you are talking about, but his is way too low to be cam pin. The only cause I can guess is brass getting kicked over, and not riding up on the bolt where it should. It's what has me thinking ejector or bolt travel. Your first assesment of gas tube misalignment is starting to look like the issue. either catching the carrier key, or his bcg just aint going all the way back.
11 years 4 months ago #15310

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by h53mechanic on topic Failure to Feed

LW25B and 80 rounds without a problem! Wow, that was nice. I will have my gunsmith take a look at these nonconformances; I hope there is nothing wrong with my little friend. I must say that the Synthetic liberation was running way better; feel, sound, and performance. I’m as happy as a pig in #$%^. Glad to hear there are similar ware marks on other AR platforms. These scratches will not be dismissed; but, I do hope superficial. I had a nice 8" groop,15kt cross wind, @ 200 yrds, using 147gr 7.62X51 ammo, 80 rounds. Lube was applied to buffer tube, spring, pistion, BCG, breach, charge handle, upper receiver, and trigger. I did take a brass brush to the inside of 4 magazines and their parts and applied lubrication. Roughness was not found during my inspection. The ejected shell pattern is about 30 degreese to my right and aft about 7 to 8 feet. Easy to recover my brass, this was not the case before.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by h53mechanic.
11 years 4 months ago #15340

Wow. 147gr huh? Is that what you were using during break in when you had the failures too? When I broke mine in, I used all 180s through it cuz it was stiff at first. After a couple 100 180s, I dropped down to as low as 150s so my wife could fire it easier and I've never had an issue.

Is it possibly the light loads that were not QUITE pushing the BCG back far enough that could have caused this from the start?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Sharkey.
11 years 4 months ago #15343

I'm just glad it's all worked out.
11 years 4 months ago #15344

I'm glad you've got your rifle sorted out. I also think you're right to take the rifle to your gunsmith for a quick once over.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #15345

Once again, happiness and sunshine rained copiously throughout the kingdom - and all was well... :)
11 years 4 months ago #15364

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!