Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best scope recommendation?

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

I had ordered a nightforce 8-32 nsx from optics planet.waited 2 mo and they still had it back ordered. got on line with Midway supply on Thurs at 10 am and ordered it from them. Friday at noon with regular UPS shipping($10) it was delivered. Mounted it on my AR10T with 20 inch barrel. What an awesome scope! 50yds first shot was 3in low at 7 oclock. adjusted and next shot was 6 oclock,1/2 low. 3rd shot after adjustment and it was zeroed.I was shooting at my range that is 200 yd max. With this scope my best 3 shot group was 1.25in at 200 yd from the bench
using the bipod. At 200yd just set on 20x I could see clearly every hole.Can't wait to try it on the 800yd range.
12 years 11 months ago #7525

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by 2ndchance on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

I have 5 rules when it comes to shopping, even if I can't afford it.

1. If it's from Costco, Sam's Club or any local store... buy it. I can always return it.

2. If it's on sale but I'm not sure if I need it... buy it. I can always return it.

3. If it's a smokin' deal but I don't have the cash saved up... buy it. The savings on the product will usually be more than the 6 months of finance charges you will incur on a credit card with the lowest interest rate.

4. It's a crazy deal that I can't say no to, but I seriously don't need it... buy it. I'm sure I know someone who will need it and I can make a profit off of them.

5. When all else fails... I just return the damn thing and get my money back and take a small hit on return shipping.

So... buy it! LOL
12 years 11 months ago #7531

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Interesting philosophy...Much like my own and my wife's...but we don't ever return it....that is why we have CC bills :dry: ....but hey...that is how I bought my AR-10 and all that goes with it...so...LOL :silly:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 11 months ago #7547

I end up returning maybe 20% of the items. I have been fortunate to not have to run a balance on my credit cards. I stash away $100 per paycheck into my "play fund" account.

Unfortunately, my fund is now depleted since my purchase of my AR10 SuperSASS. I now am carrying a small balance on one of my credit cards. I have about $2000 in accessories that will be going on there and I will need to carry for about 4 months. :sick:
12 years 11 months ago #7553

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Fox hunter thanx for your input have the Nikon now and will be saving for the Nightforce, not that the Nikon dosen't do it's job just looking to upgrade! Or put it on another Ar-10 with the longer heavier barrell and a can. Any one else on the best scope! Lets here from you!
AKAI
12 years 10 months ago #7640

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

well...I was looking at a Midway flyer the other day....and about lost my cookies...
You could go with a Schmidt and Bender or US Optics...
for about 2.5K to 3.5K..... :ohmy:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 10 months ago #7648

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Akai,

I'm a huge Nightforce fan. IMHO, they are the best bang for the buck out there. The NXS series is built like a tank. I like the 5.5-22X50 models. They have plenty of reticle choices to fit your needs too. If you like MILs, then look at the MLR and MLR2 with matching turrets. If you like MOA, then look at the NP-R1 or NP-RF1 with matching turrets. Their new High Speed turrets are a dream, with 10 Mils on the Mil versions and 20 MOA on the MOA scopes, you can dial your dope from 0 to 1000 yards in less than one turn. The scopes offer 100 MOA (27.3 Mils) of elevation adjustment, which is more than most scopes offer.

What some people don't like about Nightforce is the lack of a rheostat for dimming and brightening the illuminated reticle. I find it to be a non-issue as I rarely use the illumination and when I have, it was perfect. You can brighten it or dim it, but its somewhat of a pain, because you have to take the cap off the parallax knob and then use a small screw driver to turn the small variable resistor.

Another issue I hear complaints about is the power adjustment, in that the whole occular end rotates, so that if you have those flip cap scope covers, they rotate too. This is not much of a big deal to me either.

The Nightforce optics clarity are not as good as a Schmidt & Bender or Hensholt/Zeiss, but I like them a lot better than USO and way better than Leupold, Bushnell, etc. Premier Reticle scopes are nice too, but I feel like they are way over priced.

That being said, I see someone else brought up the Snipershide deal going on for the Super Sniper scope. The Super Snipers have been very good scopes. I've had several over the years and they always tracked well and have good optics. The reviews so far on this newest Super Sniper scope are very good and I'm seriosly considering getting one. A $1000 scope that has a good Mil based reticle, 10 Mil turrets, and from a company that has a reputation for quality has to be good. But you need to order before June 16th to get it for $1000, otherwise it goes back up to $1500.
12 years 10 months ago #7650

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Talon57 on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Check out the Millet 4x16x50 Tactical scope.
12 years 5 months ago #9150

I have one mounted on my AR-10 SuperSASS. The clarity of this scope is amazing! This is my most favorite scope in my collection. If you are budgeted for $1000, this is a fine choice. The only thing missing on this scope is a ZERO stop. However, it doesn't seem to be necessary, as there is so much adjustment on the turret, I have yet to make one full revolution.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by 2ndchance.
12 years 5 months ago #9152

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by tankcity43 on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

looking for a good scope for under $500-$600 and that will look good on my ar10a4 carbine.. Range ill be using will be 300 yrds or less for hunting or maybe little further for playing on paper..

Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte == $149 ??
Redfield Revolution Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Accu-Range Reticle Matte == $249 ??
Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 == $249 ??
Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus Mil-Dot == $349

Just few i seen that may be ok, im open for a schooling on a good scope since im new to all this, but not having much to spend on a scope id like best i can for the buck.. thanks for the time for anyone that helps..
12 years 1 month ago #10715

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!