Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best scope recommendation?

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by tankcity43 on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Well guys, i shot my first AR today.. :woohoo: :woohoo: I can see why its an addiction.. All i wanna do is buy something for it..

little diffrent question id like to know.. I slapped a cheap sight on just play round with today and then figured id put one my scope i hade laying round.. Im not gonna like re sighting in the gun every time i wanna switch around, and also gonna enjoy shooting with alot diffrent kind sights. whats some ideas on being able swich out optics or sights faster and not having to shoot 5 bullets just sighting in. Ive used bore sighters but never had luck with the 2 ive used.. maybe better brand i could use or what?

either way its all worth the fun shooting it..
12 years 2 months ago #10761

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Your top reciever rail and a quality one pc mount like the armalite are going to get you pretty close left to right (if the scope is used and sighted in on a nother rifle the bore sighting thing may indeed save you some time and rounds, but you may also get lucky). I suggest you have a mount dedicated to each scope you are actually going to put on and off the rifle. Once you get it sighted in, and don't unmount it from the rings, you can take it off and on and you'll not notice much change in point of impact. You may have to make a click or two, maybe none.

Just put up some paper at about 50 yards, assuming you are using a new scope, click up about 6 clicks to get yourself close on the elevation (due to the scope being 1.5" from the center of the bore). You will be in the paper left to right (most likely), and for every inch at fifty yards you are left or right click eight times if you have quarter inch turrets. One round, make the adjustment, two rounds should bring the point of impact very close to the point of aim, make one more adjustment. If you trust that you can hold steady and it's not you, there is no reason to use "groups" to sight in your scope. By the fourth or fifth round you should be close enough with each shot to go on out to one hundred yards and fine tune it.

As far as quick changes... going from a close quarters type sights to a scope... (or moving forward if you plan on using night vision or whatever)... and changing them out etc... just go ahead and get a Larue Tactical quick disconnect (lever action) once piece mount if you are serious and don't want to be dissapointed with something that "was cheaper". But if you want to be frugal, just use the armalite onen pc, you can get them for about eighty five bucks online, and keep a small key or a quarter or something to easily tighten or loosen the oversized slotted fastener knobs on the armalite and it's not quite "quick dissconnect"... but it's only a few seconds away from being so.

You can find two piece mount/ring sets that are adequate or even "good" on your rifle. But you've got a top pic. rail... you have a gun that has got a lot of recoil based jerking around to it... and if you want to return to zero after taking it off and on and want something that will last a long as the rifle and is fool proof... even if you do not get the armalite one piece, stick with one piece for optics, IMO.
12 years 2 months ago #10773

Whats your guy's opinion on a BSA sniper tatical 9x30.. Found one today brand new for $80.. I couldnt pass it up for the price and i know its not what i was planning to get but was hoping i can get $80 worth out of it.. If not im sure i can turn and sell it and get my money back out of it..

Let me have it i can handle it.. THANKS
12 years 2 months ago #10811

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

:pinch: Not to be Rude....I'm Sorry...Dude, BSA is almost as bad as Tasco...
You will be lucky if you get two mags through it...It's JUNK...sell it before you mount it... :dry:

AAAUUURRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!! :angry: :pinch: :pinch:

Most important lesson to be learned with the AR-10 or another .308 Semi Automatic..
DON'T BE CHEAP ON OPTICS...YOU WILL REGRET IT...How do I know...Yep...$180 buck between two Cheap scopes when I first got mine...At bare minimum...Go with the Nikon Pro Staff...it will hold up and save you some head aches...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 2 months ago #10829

thanks i wanted to know for sure, but for 80 dollars i couldnt pass it up, it can always relpace the really cheap one i have on my .243 savage that it came with.. i figured i could re-sell it to someone for $100 atleast.. thanks for the honest opinion thats what i was shootin to get from ya..
12 years 2 months ago #10836

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by 2ndchance on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

You know, my brother in law said a similar thing to me when he tried to buy a garbage scope for an AR15 I built for him. So, I will make you the same offer.

Give your best friend the $80 and have him/her kick you in the ass 20 times REALLY hard. Just get it over with now.

In a few months, you'd be doing the same thing to yourself! You'll find that you wasted the $80 and you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not putting the money towards a better scope. :laugh:

Seriously, I don't know of many "happy" shooters who spend chump change on optics than their expensive rifles. Basically, if you can't clearly SEE your target, you CAN'T hit your target.

I have a:
$300 scope on my 10/22 plinking rifle.
$500 scope on my AR-15 M4.
$700 scope on my Savage 30-06 deer rifle.
$1,500 scope on my Armalite AR-10.

It's an investment in your happiness! If you shoot poorly you will not enjoy your rifle. Rule out the rifle (buy quality). Rule out optics and mounts (buy quality). Rule out ammo (buy quality). The only factor then is YOU, and you can improve.

Leave no doubt on where the error is. Buy junk and you'll never know what to fix because the errors can come from a combination of stuff.

Just my .02cents.
12 years 2 months ago #10844

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by 2ndchance on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

BTW: SWFA has now been offering the Super Sniper 5-20x50 HD scope (without illuminated reticle) for $1299. A great value on an awesome scope!

swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx
12 years 2 months ago #10845

I agree, nice scope...but most of us can't afford something like that....otherwise I would have a NF on mine....and to add...I went into debt to get my Mark 2..
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 2 months ago #10850

Well being Honest is what I believe in...No sugar coating... :dry:

I believe the price range was 2 to 3 hundred...I will come up with one for you...
Be back soon...
BMS

12 years 2 months ago #10851

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

I agree with someone earlier, Nikon Prostaff, minimum entry level scope, about $170. Redfield Revenge if you want a range finding reticle.
12 years 2 months ago #10853

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!