Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best scope recommendation?

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

I see nothing in the world wrong with a $3,280.00 scope..................

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

..... As long as your Father buys it for you! :laugh:
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 1 month ago #10716

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Tank, I have a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 duplex ret, matte (but I paid $171 for it at a storefront, where did you find an upgrade from there for $149?!!!). For a working, no frills, good light gathering, shoot deer and hogs and paper at the ranges of your carbine... the prostaff line if just fine. They have lifetime gaurantees, and they are great quality for the dollar. I would suggest that you go with a scope that starts at either 2x or 3x magnification... being able to capture your target at closer ranges easily is a plus (especially if you stand a chance of getting ambushed by feral boars). If you are good with lowest power being 4x though, it's not that big a deal. If you want a scope under the $600 and you see that you can get some very adequate scopes for a carbine that cost much less... I'm thinking for actually out in the field hunting stuff why not go ahead and pounce on the Nikon (nothing wrong with the others you listed either)? It's the choice I made, and I've not been dissapointed with it at all. That will give you room to spend more money on all the other goodies you need/want. How about an illuminated relfex sight for close quarters combat practice? Did you get Back Up Iron Sights with your rifle? You'll want some of those too. I really think with a carbine that will be out in the field working in all kinds of situations a pricey scope would be overkill. I say grab the Nikon and if you find you aren't satisfied... you are not on the hook for much... put it on craigslist and upgrade... LOL. One other option you might like, the Redfield Revenge with the AccuRanger range finding reticle, based on the average whitetail deer size. I think they are under $200 as well, and very good for quick shoot the damn thing at whatever range that is before he gets into that brush line over there type hunting...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tankcity43
12 years 1 month ago #10721

Tank, all of this advice is going to mean nothing at all to you until you go to a show and visit the area where three dozen scopes are lined up side by side for actual visual comparisons. You have two avenues. Those scopes that perfectly suit your purpose, or those scopes that simply fit into a price structure.
I've often heard the novice comment made about our SP Diopters. "What!! Buy a Diopter system that's more than the rifle?? Why?"
Because it will allow your rifle to perform to "it's" full ability. If dollars are truly an issue, then wait. wait until you have enough for the correct scope for your purpose. Don't "settle". Large urban areas have shows with that customer option for selection.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
The following user(s) said Thank You: tankcity43
12 years 1 month ago #10732

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by tankcity43 on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

im just not wanting to spend so much on a scope "yet" to many other things i wanna get for the gun first, and last deer season my longest shot was just under 300 yrds so hoping i can get thru another yr plus what ever scope i get for it will look good passed down to my 30/30. Figure after i get a new upper and longer barrel then spend the money on a nicer scope. truthfully only scope ive ever looked thru has been my cheaper bushnell so im not sure whats really even out there.. Small town kansas is limited to stores to actually see them on hand. Sure a trip to Bass pro or Cabelas coming soon tho..

Midway USA is the site i copied and paste those scopes and prices from..

Thanks for the ideas guys nice to be able to ask someone thats not trying to sell me anything to get honest opinion.. Thanks again!!
12 years 1 month ago #10735

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

Rub it in why don't you... :dry: :dry: :lol: :laugh: ;)
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 1 month ago #10736

Ok, but you'll have to take your shirt off. :whistle: :laugh:
Latigo

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 1 month ago #10737

First off..Don't worry about "what Looks Good" on your rifle...
that is BS :pinch:
You want what is functional and affordable...otherwise we all would own NF or Mark 4s....US optics...be real... :whistle: we all have been there...Looking for a scope is a "Bitch"...especially when you can't hold it or look through it..this I understand...my advice is as follows...1...Mill dot..works the best..
2...find the "EXACT PRICE RANGE"..you are looking for...I personally can vouch for both Bushnell and Leupold and as well as for the Super Sniper Line...The SWFA line.. swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MOA-Scopes-C4226.aspx
I one of each...being all the above...BSNL, LUEPLD, SSNPR...and they all work great....In your case...I would suggest the SSPR scopes..SWFA...as to the link..then it will give you an idea what you are playing with...You get a good scope that will hold up to your weapon...and the practice, I think you need, with more of a Military type scope...No offense or being rude meant...just speaking the open truth..You Decide....I will help if I can...but for the money and indecisiveness...I think the Supper Sniper line would be your best bet....
Just my Input for what it's worth...
Target ON..
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
12 years 1 month ago #10738

Are you really ready for that... :whistle: :pinch:
Hell my wife don't even ask me that anymore.... :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :dry:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)
BMS

12 years 1 month ago #10739

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by tankcity43 on topic Re: Best scope recommendation?

thanks alot, those do look nice and ive never heard of them.. thats more in my budget right now. So many things i WANT but cant afford as of now. gonna be a long process to get all this for my gun.. Well anyways im off to the gun store to actually pick up my AR.. been counting the days since last week.. Ill back with some pics and i do thanks everyone thats been helpful.. Really getting in over my head i think but i will learn.
12 years 1 month ago #10740

Glad to and always willing to help.... ;)

Remember..1, it is going to be an Addiction... :woohoo: :side: :whistle: :pinch: :laugh: because it never ends...there will always be "new" things out there, but more to the point..Be mindful my new "Jedi" :laugh: you have those of experience to ask and listen to when in need of advice... ;)
Remember..we all want ZFK"s..Wilson.. :dry: :evil: :whistle: :pinch: :laugh:
But we do with what we can...and what our Credit Cards Allow... :pinch:
Make no bones about it...I am still paying on my set up...3 years later...but would not trade it for the world...
Always there for you... AR10T.com...
Target On
BMS

12 years 1 month ago #10742

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!