Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Oh, ok my bad...guess I don't know that much about that end of the .308 spectrum....well maybe the HK 91...that was a gun and a half..
So what exactly do I need to search for, for our new found friend in need...
BMS...
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 9 months ago #4636

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Simply FAL magazine is what works best for me. There seems to be a shortage on line, after my quick search. The link I provided earlier to Whatacountry.com seems to be the only outfit that has any in stock right now. There are some on the gun auction boards, like gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com.

I think that a lot of people are sitting on them right now. Either that or the surplus magazines have dried up. FAL's have been very popular the past few years and now with DSA, RRA, and Kel-Tek making rifles that use the FAL magazine, they seem to be going faster.

It will be nice when someone can make a polymer magazine that works. I'm hopefull that the RRA version will be it, as they have a good reputation of making a quality product.
13 years 9 months ago #4638

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by .308 All the Way on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

I am the original poster of this topic.

My plan at this point is to wait for RRA to start selling their polymer mags and use those in my LAR-8; that way, if I have any problems with the mags, I can contact RRA for assistance.

What I am looking for now and need assistance with is the 5 round FN FAL Magazines that I would need for hunting in some states that have round limitations or capacity limitations if you are hunting with an AR type weapon.

DSA is selling 5 and 10 round FAL magazines on their site, but when I placed an order - got an e-mail saying they were on back order; then they say those mags won't work in my rifle.

After trying out the polymer mags, I could take my 20 rounder that came with my rifle and have a gunsmith convert that magazine to only hold a certain number of rounds perhaps?
13 years 9 months ago #4639

Did they give you a reason why the 5 round magazines would not work? I see no reason why they would not.
13 years 9 months ago #4640

Replied by .308 All the Way on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

I was told it had something to do with the magazine well - technical specs wouldn't match - something along those lines. They did not do a good job of explaining and were pretty short and too the point about it.

They said something about converting the magazine to fit my gun, but while I appeciate that suggestion, it is a ridiculous idea; I should be able to buy magazines by the box if I want without having to do anything to them but put bullets in and smack them into the gun.
13 years 9 months ago #4641

Replied by lotoofla on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

I don't want o throw salt in your wound but, When I was looking for a 308Win AR ArmaLite sprung up as the best contender BECAUSE all of their magazines are based on the M-14 rifles. The early rifles used converted M-14 mags. Cut the notch for the mag catch, cut a groove for the bolt stop plunger in the back and change the follower and your ready to go!!
One of the things with the FAL's is that the BATF is stink on shit with this rifle as soo many parts have to be made in the US for it to be considered legal. (And yes you damm well better have clear and legible reciepts for every damm part!!) good luck!!
13 years 9 months ago #4649

Just because Armalite uses the M14 magazine doesn't necessarily make it better. Back when Clinton signed the AWB, the price of M14 magazines spiked at $100 to $150!! No one wanted to take their M14 magazines and convert them, because they were like gold back then. Thus the quest started for building an AR platform that would use the FAL magazine, because they were plentiful and cheap back then. (I'm talking $5 per magazine)

Those who did buy AR-10's and converted the magazines over, had problems. Major problems.....enough that rifles needed to be sent back to Armalite. (Ask me how I know :( ) The M14 magazine works great in the M14. Not so good in the AR-10.

Then the AWB expired. And Armalite was able to produce their own magazine. A much improved magazine that worked a lot better in the AR platform. But, as far as I know, they kept it proprietary.

Then came along DPMS and people started looking more into the Knights Armament SR-25. Both these companies used the original AR-10 magazine blueprints. The one that came out in the 1960's or so. This is a much better design and has spawned Magpul's excellent polymer magazine to be used in these platforms. This has made the DPMS a very popular rifle. Not only because of the Magpul magazine, but because they are flexible enough to bring out what customers want. Especially the competitive shooters.

The FAL magazine is an excellent magazine and just because Armalite says this magazine can't be used in an AR platform, doesn't mean squat in my opinion. The FAL is probably the best battle rifle ever made and people have taken notice. There was a big run on FAL kits a few years ago and to this day a good quality FAL from DSA or Enterprise will sell fast. Now bring in the old Bushmaster, the new RRA LAR-8, and the Kel-Tec and we're seeing a big drain on FAL magazines. Thus the price has spiked to $20 -$25 and people are starting to hoard them. This has produced another viable market to where DSA and now RRA are starting to make their own FAL magazines.

The issue of no FAL magazines will be a short lived one. With all the platforms out there using this magazine, it
13 years 9 months ago #4658

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

These mags are getting to be an issue because anything going to the sandbox has to be Rem, DPMS, or Knight interchangeble for a black rifle. That alone will put Armalite as odd man out. The 14s brung back in service are running short with the mag issue because of price and greed. We are coming out with a new lower soon that should be more ammo friendly with the DPMS Remmy mags. The changes will be a real help for feeding, but production for the piston starts first in a week or so. The floating piston system is rebuildable and lets the barrel deliver the accuracy that it should. Test at range proved we (my design team and I) have developed a system that has an edge on the field. The A15 system will be first followed buy the 10 system. Now the quagmire is being that the gas tubes are aprox .240 longer on the Armalite do we want to fool with them or just stick with the Rem, DPMS, Knight and other common systems. Armalite may get left out depending on cost to increase the length.MSH
13 years 9 months ago #4660

Replied by bigmule on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Great thread guys. And Great site. I usually lurk about on Sigforum and glean knowledge and power from over there, but this disease I got...LAR-8 is hounding me like a dog in heat.

On topic.:
So as we wait for various and sundry famous maker magazines to become avail for the AR10 platform. Which Magazines would work well. That are available??(read:reliable).

I under stand the Gen 1/Gen 2 of the armalite magazines. I also understand the issue with the thin walled FAL mags "needing" the interface of the feed lips to the upper to reliably feed rounds to the bolt to strip them off. Whereas thick walled M14 type mags do not "lean" on the upper for maintaining the geometry needed to feed the boom stick.

I see Armalite has a deal on all round count 5 packs for AR10 type rifles...is this considered a good reliable magazine for punchin' paper threw an LAR-8.

Back story: Im buying a litey used LAR-8 and cannot legally own the stock 20round mag. Current production of 10 rounders from Armalite, is encouraging, however with the past 3 pages of point and counter point leaves me confuz'ed....

Any clarification would be great....
**runs and calls armalite and ducks**

Thank you for the info on the progression of the weapon too, I dig the history and consider it all very valuable.

Cheers

bgml
13 years 9 months ago #4685

Replied by wielywilly-g on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

I got 4 20rnd metric fal mags for my RRA LAR-8 back in Feb from James at Common Sense Amory via gunbroker. $30 each... They work awesome. Good luck with your search for 5 rnd.
13 years 9 months ago #4686

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!