Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Bigmule,

Welcome to the forum!

First off, let me tell you that the Armalite magazines will not work in a Rock River Arms LAR-8. The Armalite AR-10 magazines are for Aramalite AR-10's only.

The Rock River LAR-8 uses both metric and inch pattern FAL magazines.

The only place that I know of that sells the 5 and 10 round magazines is DSA. That's what spawned some of this discussion, because apparently DSA say's that these will not work in the RRA LAR-8. Why? Is still to be answered.

You are basically going to have to look at your local gun stores or order on line for the FAL magazines. Hopefully by the end of the month Rock River will have a good working polymer FAL magazine out.
13 years 9 months ago #4687

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by bigmule on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Thank you for the welcome. Its great to be here.

I read you loud and clear.

No go Armalite.

I have a secret stash of a gun shoppe that I will bribe, beg and well...bribe some more to dig in boxes.
He always has something..

I will share any info I come across of course, either for clarification or qualification. If I find a heap of pre-ban I mite share those too.

Cheers

bgml
13 years 9 months ago #4689

Replied by wielywilly-g on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

There are some new 20 rnd metric fal mags on gun broker right now. They will fit perfect in the LAR-8.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179027530

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179095574
13 years 9 months ago #4705

Replied by spiker on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Dsa has the 5rnd clips in stock mine shipped 7/16
13 years 9 months ago #4776

Replied by Deputy108 on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

I have a RRA LAR-8 I went to CDNN sports inc. to order my extra magazines I am waiting to those polymer FN-Fal magazines with the 10,20 and 30 rounders come out.
13 years 6 months ago #5774

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by markthenewf on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Guys,

My first post here..... I just wanted to chime in here on what my experience is on these.

I've had a LAR-8 only for about 4 months now, but have been having a helluva time getting sensible mags. By sensible, I mean that I've had the following issues with 7 out of 10 (at least) so far:

1- Improper feeding. This appears to be a lip problem in that the lips do not arc over far enough to hold back rounds on one side of the staggered rounds. The only way to tell if the mag will work properly (i.e. not stovepipe a round or jam the post-fired case into the chamber at an odd angle) is to put a few rounds in the mag and then give it a good smack on the bottom of it. If the uppermos round slips out under the lip, then it's no good and will cause feed issues. This has NOT ocurred with the mag that came with the rifle but has done so with both old clunky mags, refurbished IMI mags, and new SAR-4800 mags from Springfield. I've not attempted to "bend" the lips over to see if there's a way of fixing this.... yet.

2- Falling out. Yes, I've had several actually fall out of the mag well right after firing them off. Looking at the mags, there does not seem to be any wear in way of the retention lip nor does there seem to be a weak spring (or somehting obviously mechanicaly wrong) on the mag release mechanisim.

3- Thermomold polymer mags do NOT fit the LAR-8. A typical FAL magazine is not as wide as these mags. Specifically, the 'ribs' make the magazine too wide to fit the mag well far enough to be engaged. I suppose I could take a dremel tool to it and grind the top two of them down to make it work, but that defeats the point of having a purpose-built FAL mag for my 308 caliber AR. I told this to Thermomold and got the following response:

"We manufacture the FN FAL in both metric and inch magazine. We are in the works to modify our manufacturing to accommodate for the differences in the Rock River LAR-8. You are exactly right in that you must remove the top rib so it will fit into the magazine well of your gun. Some individuals have done this with great success and are pleased with the magazine. This will not void the warranty of the magazine and as stated earlier we are work on the modification to our molds.

I must also state we do not advertise the fact that our magazine will work in the rock river, it was originally designed for the FN FAL in both models. This is stated on the packaging and the packaging makes no mention of the LAR 8. The magazine well of the rock river is longer than the magazine well of the FN FAL. So the fact that Rock River states that all FN FAL magazines will work in their rifle is in correct. We will have the changes done with in a month or two and you should see the magazine for the Rock River in the stores by the first part of next year."

4- I called rock river arms this afternoon and they confirm that they do not have the mags in stock, but should be getting them in "early in the new year".

One of the original reason I got the LAR-8 was because it took either metric or imperial FAL mags. Everyone implied that FAL magazine firearms are the best thing since sliced bread since the mags were everywhere to be seen and cheap to purchase. That hasn
13 years 5 months ago #5927

markthenewf,

Unfortunately the supply of FAL magazines is drying up. When RRA first designed the LAR-8, then licenced those rights to Bushmaster, FAL magazines were plentyful. I could get them for $5 a piece, sometimes less if I bought a bunch. But that was 10 years ago. I went to a gun show over the weekend and found plenty of 20 round FAL magazines ranging anywhere from $15 to $20. I actually came home with 2 30 round and 1 20 round magazine. All work fine in my RRA LAR-8's, although one of the 30 rounders is a bit tight.

I've been reading on AR15.com that RRA should have their 20 round polymer mags out very soon.

In regards to your magazines falling out. Are you 100% positive that they are seated all the way in? I've found that on some of my magazines it is a bit hard to get them fully seated with the bolt closed. I've never had one fall out on me, but could see how this could happen if the magazine wasn't seated fully. Does the magazine pop out after the first shot? Or later on?

Not sure what to tell you about the double feeding, unless again the magazines are not seated fully. I've have a few FAL magazines that won't work very well in my RRA, but work perfectly fine in the FAL. These are beat up ugly magazines that look like they've seen work in a war zone. I just leave them with the FAL.

As for the Thermamold, why would grinding down the ribs on the magazine "defeats the point of having a purpose-built FAL mag for my 308 caliber AR". It doesn't sound like Thermamold has an issue with you grinding down the ribs either. There are many people who "tune" magazines to work more reliably in their weapons. Just ask any USPSA shooter. I see this as no different. I would do it, if I could find some of those magazines. However, Thermamold doesn't have the greatest reputation for reliable magazines. Especially in the AR15 world.
13 years 5 months ago #5944

On another note regarding magazines.

I got to check out a new FN SCAR-17. Very nice gun. I wouldn't mind having one, but can't justify $3k for something that I can get the same performance out of a similar weapon for $2k less.

Anyway, I looked over the magazine very carefully and noticed that it is pretty much a FAL magazine. It did not have the notch cut on the back however, so this would have to be done before using the magazine.

I'm just saying this because I think this SCAR-17 is going to take off, especially now that the U.S. Military has approved it. So magazines should become more plentyful in the next year or so.

I know DSA is working on a magazine that will work in all three platforms. SCAR-17, FAL, and LAR-8.
13 years 5 months ago #5946

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by markthenewf on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

I have a habit of really pushing hard on my clips so I don't think it's a operational thing allowing the clips to release. I also always load the rifle with the bolt back. I'm an old-school guy (M1A, Garand, 1911), so please let me know if this is the wrong way to load an AR. Anyways, I can't see it being an issue with the clip retainer mechanism as only 2 of the 14 clips I've got do this. Normally they fall out after several shots. I'm on bipod with lots of clearance so I'm not hitting/dragging the bottom of the clip, so I'm not sure what's causing this.

Regarding the Thermamolds, I just don't feel like farting around with them. If they were $10, it'd be one thing, but they're not!

FYI, I called RRA a couple of days ago and they're now saying "early 2011" and both DSA and Whatacountry are out of stock of the mags that are known to work. Oh bother.

Funny end to this: I separated out the clips I know worked from the ones that don't and the ones that needed further testing. They were stacked in a neat pile on the end of the bed and then the dog came barreling in and jumped on the bed. They all went flying all over the floor. I didn't have the mags marked in any way, so with the exception of the one I know came with the rifle (which works), I've got to re-test them all! I guess this'll be a good chance to work up my own 308 load!
13 years 5 months ago #5958

Replied by Deputy108 on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

I got the same answer from RRA I am waiting just as well these magazine fit kinda loosely. I got my new DPMS Lar-308 today I am looking forward to shooting it soon.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

13 years 5 months ago #5960

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!