Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

RRA just posted on Arfcom that they will post the part number and price for their polymer magazines on Tuesday. They wouldn't say when they would be ready for shipping, however.
13 years 5 months ago #5992

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by markthenewf on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Yeah, I saw that. I seem to recall this same sort of talk about FAL mags from DSA. There's no point in announcing something if a) you don't have an ETA or b) a price. I'm finding it very irritating.

Add to that, I threw out 2 more mags that refused to cooperate last weekend on top of the 4 new Springfield Armory SAR mags that also didn't work. So far that's 6 out of the 14 I have that are nixed, and of the remainder I am only confident that 2 (an original RRA and another from the gun shop) will work.

I hope RRA gets their feces together and produces a sensible product. I think there's a lot of us having similar difficulties but are not talking too much about it after shelling out this much cash for something that only works some of the time.

Make me proud to buy American, RRA: follow through with good, reasonably priced mags, please.
13 years 5 months ago #6071

AAAANNNNNDDDDD, they're here (according to the web site). 'Bout dang time!

[img size=585
13 years 3 months ago #6411

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by wielywilly-g on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Thanks for the heads up mark. How many did you order?

I had a chance to study my mag release in detail recently. I had a round pull apart on manual eject and fling powder everywhere. Some of that powder got into the mag release area and stopped it from pushing in all the way. I was left with a half-full 20 rnd mag I couldn't eject and a bullet stuck in the chamber. Eventually I got the gun apart and used a can of spray powder solvent the free up the mag release enough to eject. I could see how the roll pin that hits the mag empty tab at the end of the mag feed plate holds the bolt catch up. On a couple of my FAL 20 rnd mags that pin was so long it would actually touch the brass of the loaded ammo by about .030" during mag insertion. Enough to cause the first one up to kick its nose up a little and jam on feed sometimes. I noticed I could prevent this by fudging the mag a little during insertion since there is more than .030 play in them. I could also see that if I were to shorten that pin by .035, it might not touch the mag empty tab on a couple other mags.

I am looking forward to some good fitting mags.
13 years 3 months ago #6420

I've ordered 6 of the RRA polymer ones and just received another 7 IMI metric metal FAL mags from another dealer. The metal ones were purchased only after another members recommendation. I'd like to have 10-12 good working mags.

I also looked into getting a couple of 10-round mags for bench shooting, but those are a bunch more costly than the 20's.

It'll probably be at least a week or two before I can get to the range, though. At the very least I want to test the polymer ones.

That's a real stinker about the mag pushing on the round. Hopefully I won't ever experience that issue.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by markthenewf.
13 years 3 months ago #6422

markthenewf wrote:
Looking forward to your report on the polymer magazines. I'm a bit surprised that they went with the Thermold magazines, when the magazine pictured in their catalog looks like something totally different.
13 years 3 months ago #6423

Well, I won't be doing any mag review and I'm seriously reconsidering my LAR-8 ownership.

I called RRA today and asked the status of my order. The not-so-personable service rep 'Alan' informed me that:

a) they were not in stock.
b) that they were on back order from the manufacturer.
c) it would be at least 30 days before they began shipping.

I told "Alan" that it was very misleading to be able to see the mags as being available (i.e. shown on the web page and able to put them in a shopping card AND place an order) and that they should really remove that option. I was told in a very snotty tone that "They'll be staying up on the web page".

This is typical attitude and BS from RRA regarding their products and parts. I canceled my order and ended the conversation with a bit of not-so-nice language myself. What a jack-a** that guy was.

If I could get back the price I paid for the rifle I would. No wonder folks just buy AK clones. I fail to see the point of trying buying into quality if you're going to be stonewalled for parts and be spoken to like you're being scolded for daring to question them.

I'm gonna just go shoot my Garand. At least it's reliable and I can get parts for it.
13 years 3 months ago #6448

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by wielywilly-g on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Sorry you had trouble. He should not have been snotty, but try to cool down a bit. I too was surprised when I placed my order and they were not in stock, but it seems like everything I have put on my gun has been that way.

PRS stock.. wait, Badger 20moa Base.. wait, Badger Rings.. wait, S&B scope, wait a real long time, Accushot Atlas bipod wait, Accushot BT12 monopod wait, Badger Charge handle Extension.. wait, RRA advanced half quad handguard.. wait. I could go on with the different tools and barrel wrench I have waited for. In the end, it has taught me to be patient when it comes to guns. If you aren't it will make you crazy.

If you are still mad in a couple weeks, I will take your RRA off your hands.
13 years 3 months ago #6455

You know, I don't think that there is one company out there that doesn't have a bad apple. Personally I've had great conversations and service from Rock River. But, I've had similar experiences from other companies that everyone else says is top notch and the "best they've ever dealt with". Dillon Precision is a perfect example. They always claim 'No BS Warranty', well they gave me the run around and wouldn't replace a part for me free of charge, like I hear they do for everyone else! But I still use Dillon Reloaders.....

I still love my Rock Rivers! I just shot my LAR-8 Varmint again yesterday. I put a new scope mount on, so I needed to re-zero it again. Sure enough, it gave me tiny little groups again.....I love that rifle. I need to shoot my 16" mid-length more.
13 years 3 months ago #6456

Well, the 7 new mags I ordered resulted in 1 feeding ok. The others were a no go. On the way back from the range I did stop into the SOG store and they had one RAA metal 20-rounder in stock so I picked it up. Looks like I'm SOL unless I buy my mags from RAA.

FYI, when I asked the guys at SOG about the polymer mags, they were none too impressed that they were being done by Thermomold.

On the up side, I was doing 100 yard sub-MOA groups off the bench and 3.5" groups off-hand. If it didn't shoot so darned good I would get rid of it.

On the down side, I had a muscle twitch while on my last magazine (major cancer surgery around neck area has me a smidgen short-circuited from time to time in my right side.). My shoulder jerked up and towards my head enough to result in me shooting little to the left.... just enough to get one of my chrono sunshield support rods! What are the chances... oh well.
13 years 3 months ago #6516

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!