Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

.243 anywhere?

• Thank you received: 1

.243 anywhere? was created by donkey1984

I was wondering if anyone makes a .243 AR10 besides DPMS(or the remington r-25)? i was looking just looking for one to spice things up a bit on the range and for some coyote work possibly. i like dpms but it is just so hard to find magazines for them.
14 years 7 months ago #2047

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

donkey 1984,

The .243 is a great round, but NOT from a gas gun. I believe Armalite offers it as an optional chambering in their AR-10.
Certainly accurate, but overbored and it will eat barrels quickly. It's heat and erosion that cause failure in the barrels...throat erosion is the issue.

I'd do with the standard .308 or if you must the 6.5/08(260 Remington) Both will give you better bore life. The higher BC of the 6.5 will give you flatter trajectory "out there".

My bet is to stick with the .308 for shooting because of ammo availability and barrel life. That's why USMC snipers are still using it successfully to 1K.

Wes
14 years 7 months ago #2061

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

does anyone else know anything about this particular issue?
14 years 7 months ago #2069

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

Guns America just had a listing for armalite ar-10 A4 in .243 for $1695. I hadn't seen the .243 as an option on their websight. The owner of the store I bought my AR10t at really likes his remington AR in .243, but I agree with weshowe that going with the .308 makes more sense. The wide range of bullets can put the ballistics in the same range as the .243. I have taken many deer and varmits with a model 70 bolt action .243, and my AR10's in .308 can do all that and more, with just as much accuracy and much more retained energy at distance, with recoil being about the same.
14 years 7 months ago #2071

yeah i agree with you totally that .308 is a way better chambering, thats is why i have an ar10t in .308. Like i said i am just looking for something else to spice things up on the range a bit, and i have found that the ammo is a little cheaper for the .243. i was just wondering if the throat erosion was an issue with all manufacturers or a select few. will a dpms in .243 have an issue with throat erosion?
14 years 7 months ago #2072

That sounds like a question for the engineers at dpms to me. I don't know if they have been around long enough for anyone to have found out, but it seems logical that there would be erosion sooner than the .308 given higher .243 muzzle velocities have to generate more heat.
14 years 7 months ago #2073

yeah it sounds possible for sure. if i called them i just wonder if they would give me a straight answer, after all they are trying to sell me something. another thing that bothers me is that they dont have an accuracy guarantee. all though i heard/seen that they are just as accurate as armalite/rra.
14 years 7 months ago #2074

you may not get a straight answer, but you might be more likely to if your conversation starts like this..."I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. I just can't decide whether my new dpms should be 308 or 243. I am leaning toward the 308 because I am concerned the higher velocities of the 243 could shorten barrel life, compared to a 308. What do you think ?Do you have data that shows this?
No idea about accuracy.
14 years 7 months ago #2075

that is a really good idea man. thanks a lot for your in put. anyone else have an opinion about this?
14 years 7 months ago #2076

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

The 243 is a great round in the A-10 frame. I won several stste championships, east reginals and the US champ with the 243. The major thing that needs to be done is to re-time the gas system. The gas manifold and barrel transfer hole needs to be moved up the barrel 4". Just putting an adjustible gas manifold on wont do, you lose to much that way. I am going back to the long neck 243 for next year and ditching the 260s. The long neck 243 is the one that I grew up with and also was the one my dad won the Pan AM games with in the early 60s. The 6mm bullet has no equal in the high power matches if used on the right case. The 243 with the 107gr or 115gr bullets are 3/4 moa flatter shoting than the 260 with the 142gr bullets at 600yds coming off the 200yd "0". Seirra has been some what misleading on the CG of the bullets. I ask K Thomas at Seirra whats the deal after the crono test, where the 243s were 50 fps slower than the 260. Answer in short it sales bullets.
Most of those engineers for these companys come to school where I teach and they are just out of school. Most dont know squat about a gun at first. I can name names. The best student that I ever had that has made a good name for himself was John Hollinger of White Oak Precision. Most of the staff at these gun companys wont veer off of legal policy.
Barrel life on the 243 shooting 3 matches monthly will last 2 years, but we changes barrels every 2 years anyway. The long neck 243 is much better on barrel life.
I keep giving warnings on after mart gas pistions and just yesterday I watched a piston break in half and inbed in a students head. After checking the heat treat on the opprod I found it to be RC 60. Hard as woodpecker lips. It was a major gas piston company MFG. The 3 inch pc that was left was droped in the floor and broke. These frames will need to be made taller to have safe piston systems.MSH
14 years 7 months ago #2079

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!