Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

.243 anywhere?

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

great info. Can you explain why the gas system needs to be re-timed?
14 years 7 months ago #2080

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

yes MSH that was great info, it was a little above me but it was great info. So do you a .243 winchester has a significantly shorter barrel life than the .308? If you don't, do you recommend DPMS or what? Does a .243 use the same magazine as a .308 in a DPMS? Again i really appreciate all the info.
14 years 7 months ago #2081

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

Ok we are going to get these questions and I got to scoot for base tomorrow. The gas system has to be longer for the 243 for the types of powder used or you lose the speed that makes it such an advantge to use. The longer dwell time for the powder to burn in the barrel before you dump the gas keeps bullet speed high. The 243 opperates best with a 16 plus inch gas system. The 243 as is has a shorter barrel life than a 308 period, but the long neck version has great barrel life. Long necks on any round extends barrel life. Neck length should be longer than one calaber dia to extend barrel life. A 243 should have a neck length around .364 plus for the extended barrel life as an example. Look at a 6 PPC, long neck and short fat case. That is the law of long barrel life and good shooters. The short mags are almost like that and they as a rule shoot better than their counterparts. A standard 223 with an extended gas system of 2 inches will yeild 2950 fps with 80gr Seirra bullets where as with the standard gas system 2750 fps. The 260 with a 12 inch standard gas system would only push a 142gr bullet 2600 fps. The extra push makes the hero and is not the 0.MSH
14 years 7 months ago #2083

well thanks a lot for the info MSH. just one more question do you have to reload to get a long neck .243? And does the rifle have to be chambered for the long neck?
14 years 7 months ago #2085

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Yes we do have to load for this thing but I have always loaded. There is a special reamer for this that is ground a min type spec for little brass work.MSH
14 years 6 months ago #2088

oh i see i am not sure if i wanna do all that. as i do wanna get into reloading, i still would like to be able to go to the store and get some bullets in a pinch. but thanks a ton for the info. i think this site is pretty kick ass because anyone can get on here and just ask a simple question.
14 years 6 months ago #2089

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

foxhunter and all,

The shorter barrel life of the .243 vice the .308 is due to the difference in expansion ratios of the two cartridges.

Both are .308 case capacity, but in the case of the .243 you are putting the energy created (in the form of heat) down a smaller diameter bore. That causes the erosion the .243 is noted for...

I'll be blunt. The .243 IS NOT a good gas gun cartridge. Unless you own the back door key to Ft. Knox and want to rebarrel every season.

If you want a flat shooting cartridge that gives decent bore life try the 6.5/08(.260 Rem). You should get 5-6 thousand rounds before accuracy degrages. With a .243 you'll be lucky to get half that. The .308? Expect 10K or more barrel life.

Don't get me wrong, the .243 is a great cartridge, but at it's best in bolt guns that won't get the heat build up from semi-auto firing.

Hope this helps.

Wes
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by weshowe.
14 years 6 months ago #2165

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Laughing Elk on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

Kreiger makes barrels for the AR-10. They aren't cheap at 400 a pop or more, but the following link will get you there:
www.kriegerbarrels.com/AR_10-c1246-wp3393.htm#AR-10
The AR-10 information is at the bottom of the page. I believe they offer barrels for the AR-10 in 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and 30 caliber. The usual choice is a 308 based case, so you're looking at the 243, 260, 7mm-08, and 308. All fine calibers and all very shootable out of the AR-10 platform. Barrel wear and tear decrease as you move down the list small to large - the 308 being easiest on barrels. Another consideration for you. Of the cartridges above, the 308 is probably the cheapest to shoot having many bullets, mil-surplus, and reloading options available to you.

We all get 'gotta have it' fever from time to time. If you gotta have a 243, then talk to Kreiger and a competent gunsmith.

Good luck.
Elk
14 years 5 months ago #2188

So does a .243 have a barrel life similar to a .223/5.56? According to remingtons website they have about the same velocity.
14 years 5 months ago #2192

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I think that the 243 is as good to much worse. The 107 and 115 VLD bullets in some respects increase throat erosion at a faster pace. The shorter bullets do not but surface cracking in the bore shows faster. Using moly bullets helps but moly draws moisture whitch causes premature erosion. So moly is great in dry areas but bad in high humid spots. The main thing is the increased pressure the 243 has at the neck area which is bad. The long neck 243 that I am using eases that problem quite a lot and that makes it more worth while for me to use. Bare in mind I don't have any favered cal, I look at them as a tool for the day.MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2194

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!