Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

.243 anywhere?

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

The 708 and 308 are equal out to about 500 yds, I would rather have the bullet weight. And how many of you shoot past 300 yds regular, not many. The 708 aint any better till it gets past 500 then your out of speed at 800 so 300 advantage. Time to hit the best combo with the 260.MSH
14 years 6 months ago #2253

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I posted a picture of the group that the owner of the 243 with the extended gas system shot. This is a 400yd group at a steel plate. He commited that it would have been better if he had not added a click elevation after the 4th shot. I guess he didn't beleave his ears that the plate was ringing. These Lilja barrels are hard to beat. Its on the last page of accessories photos.MSH

admin: here's the picture

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by mlotziii. Reason: added picture to the thread
14 years 5 months ago #2419

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

Mine gunsmith was showing Me in a book the complete uppers in the .243 caliber but I do`nt remember what the price was.
I`ll let You know the brand and ETC. after I get one.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
14 years 5 months ago #2429

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by deepcreekt6 on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this web site and new to the AR10 world. I am in the process of building up an AR 10 in .243 at the present time. I am only going to use it for coyote shooting and find the .243 is the best caliber for me. I load Sierra BlitzKing 55 grain bullets in my current Remington 700 with a Rock Creek barrel at 3,900 fps with sub moa accuracy.

I want an AR10 for a quick second or third shot. I am going to have the barrel liquid ferrtic nitrocarburized which will greatly extend the throat life of the barrel.

It brings coyotes down at 400 yeards with no problem and is flat shooting.

Will keep you posted...........Bill
14 years 2 months ago #3075

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

Wow i have never heard of that nitro treating stuff. I look forward to hearing about all of this.

p.s. welcome to the sight
14 years 2 months ago #3077

Replied by Laughing Elk on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

Supposedly there are manufacturers of firearms using it - mostly european at this point. However, I was unable to find any studies of life expectancy changes other than rumor and supposition.It may be true - who knows. It is certainly being used in high temperature machine parts successfully at this point. A search for

Ferritic Nitrocarburized Barrels

should give you plenty to read and enjoy on the subject.

Take care,
Elk
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Laughing Elk.
14 years 2 months ago #3078

Hi Everyone,

The offical name for the process is called "Liquid Salt Bath Ferritic Nitrocarburizing" and the SAE specification is AMS 2753B.

I had 6 of my rifle barrels done last year, some of them are sqquirrel rifles, coyote rifles and I had my 6.5x284 done at the same time.

The normal hardness of a stainless steel barrel is about Rc28, after the process the surface hardness is about Rc64 and black in color which I like a lot better than the bright stainless steel.

Different bullet manufacture like Berger and Hornady have had their dies done to extent the life.

I am hoping to get 6,000 rounds out of my barrel because the way I shoot and the number of rounds per year it will give me many years of service.

Bill
14 years 2 months ago #3080

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Almost all of the small aircraft engines have nitrated coated parts inside. Les Baer and I used all that stuff when we were racing planes. It didn't help in engines breaking. I would be more interested in titanium nitrate the gold coating on cutting tools. Its harder and slicker. They say there is not a good way of putting it down small holes, but any nitrate coating is better than none. I have been using another type that is slicker than the salt bath type but not as hard and don't ask what type cause I aint taleing cuz on my match rifles. It seems to have an advantage. But heres the kicker unless you use it on a barrel that takes hardly zero break in your waisting your time. So it had better be on a good quality barrel say like Dan produces and the people nitrateing the barrel better know how to hang it properly. For the average Joe I don't think its a good idea but a competition shooter that shoots every 2 days its great. One of my students had a Rem barrel done and It was never broken in and now will never be broken in. He may have got better results if he had lapped the thing with the diamond lap, 15m to 50m. I use to have do that for the factory rifle class.MSH
14 years 2 months ago #3082

Yes............after you have your barrel installed you must break it in and know that it is shooting good before you send it out and have it done. You must also remove all copper from the barrel before having it done also. If the barrel shoots great before having it done it will shoot great after having it done. If it does not shoot good it will still not shoot good. There has been several write article on the 6BR web site.

I am happy with the barrels I had done last year and after I get my AR 10 up and running and after the barrel is broken in I will also send it out for processing. The process has been done in the USA for years.

Another trade name is Melonite.

Bill
14 years 2 months ago #3083

Replied by dsc13 on topic Re:.243 anywhere?

I just bought my first AR10T in 308. However before i did, I called and talked to the guys at GA Precision. I really wanted the 243 in the AR platform, and the guys at GA precision talked me out of it. They use the 243 in alot of their bolt guns, and they win alot of competitions with it. They said that to get the best performance out of the 243, it wont fit the AR magazines and feed reliably, its too long. Call them they are great and will spend the time to answer ur questions.
13 years 7 months ago #5643

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!