Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Real Shooting

• Thank you received: 216

Real Shooting was created by Libertarian623

This is the thread to post your round counts/practice drills and generally what your doing to stay sharp. Hopefully this will be constructive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83
9 years 5 months ago #42367

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Real Shooting

Had a terrible outing Sunday, vowed to never have that happen again. Did some dry fire for 10 minutes tonight to try and make up some lost ground. Then just sat there trying to evaluate my NPA looking for problems. Noted that NPA was good but shot to shot tension was up and down. Didn't feel really comfortable.
9 years 5 months ago #42368

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Real Shooting

I've been getting to the range both Saturday and Sunday the last few weeks instead of my usual once a week. I've had to limit my round counts to 100 pistol, 9mm or 45 ACP, and 100 5.56 each trip along with 40 rounds of 7.62 every other trip.
For pistol I set up a paper target, a steel spinner, and then a water bottle or a paint can that will move around a bit. I load 4 mags and go through them at a good pace. I change it up by shooting some from cover at 25 and 10 yards, some times I draw at 25 and advance to the targets while firing and reloading then reverse the process back to the 25 yard line. I stop shooting the steel inside 10 yards after getting a little splatter on me, wouldn't want to damage my handsome looks! B)
On the 5.56 and 7.62 I'll usually set up paper targets at 25, 50, 75, and 100 with some steel at 200. I like to shoot at a rapid pace while transitioning from target to target. The range discourages movement on the rifle range but I change up positions often.
When I'm home I like to get inventive at the farm. We hardly shoot the same scenario twice. We do like to shoot at a rolling tire with a plywood center often though. My brother grows veggies for the local farmers markets so fall always brings some surplus squash, melons, and pumpkins to splatter. Love that orange mist you get from a dead center hit on a mini pumpkin! There should be some ready for my next trip home:woohoo:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 5 months ago #42370

Shooting steel to 600 today, trying to get some minute of man shots in. And visiting winter hunting area to freshen up the yardage markers.
9 years 5 months ago #42480

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Real Shooting

Good luck and enjoy the day!
9 years 5 months ago #42481

I had the privilege of shooting with my 13 year old granddaughter this morning. She put 100 rounds through my MK25. She informed me that it would be her pistol some day. B)
The first mag was off target some but she quickly started banging the 4 inch plates on the dueling tree with regularity :twothumbs:
I'm very proud of her attention to safety and how she retains lessons even though several months will go by between range outings. I think I'll give her some time on the AR's next weekend, she has always enjoyed shooting the AR-10, recoil doesn't seem to bother her at all, the bigger the better for her!

LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 5 months ago #42522

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Great time JT
9 years 5 months ago #42523

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Real Shooting

:I-agree: :thumbs:
For a number of reasons my range time is going to be limited for quite a while, but I do hope to get out with my son, as we always have a good time at the range.
9 years 5 months ago #42526

Took the granddaughter out to the range again today, she cleaned my clock with 15 straight on the dueling tree, thats 4 inch steel at 10 yards. She beat me and her great grandfather both with the MK25. She hit about 30% with my Armalite upper M-15TBN on the same type dueling tree at 100 yards. Had the rifle zeroed for 200 yards so she had to make the adjustment with the reticle to hit.Wish I could be home more, she might be able to teach me something! Wish there were some competitions around here for her to enter......

Had to pack up all my weapons for storage today :( I'll be moving from Mississippi to Massachusetts over the next couple weeks for the job. I've been told I can still have my AR-10 there since I'm an out of stater and then I've been told I can't have anything???? :S I read through the laws in the link Nightforce provided and it looks like I need permits for everything but a Massachusetts Highway Patrolman told me it isn't that bad, just need a permit for the pistols and the rest is covered because I'm not a resident.
I decided to leave it all in Iowa and go to the local PD when I get there.
burned up 500+ rounds the last few days :dance: so I'm good for bit.....
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by jtallen83.
9 years 5 months ago #42611

Nice (500rds)JT. It will be over before yah know it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 5 months ago #42616

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!