Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Real Shooting

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Real Shooting

I'm betting if it would have made it in the chamber like that there may have been some over-pressure issues. Found a good pile of brass shavings when I cleaned it up tonight. I haven't noticed this much previously but I've shot mostly 77 gr. stuff in this rifle, maybe the bullet shape has something to do with it :unsure:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43886

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Real Shooting-Below Zero

Got my chance to try out some kit at -7F this morning. Went through 90 rounds of XM-193 out of my PM400 with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. I was pleased the red dot performed in the cold this time. I didn't keep track of how many rounds I sent at the 50 yard target but it looks to be 30+ by the holes in the target. The rest were aimed at the 5 inch steel on the dueling tree at 100 yards but I didn't get much more than a 25% hit rate there. The snow and lack of magnification made it real hard to pick up the targets. Shooting the SSA trigger with gloves took some adjustment, at first I was sending the rounds a little sooner than I was ready for. This may be an example of why mil-spec triggers have a little heavier pull but it didn't take many rounds to adjust. I learned I need to put a pad on the exposed portion of the buffer tube, it had quite a good bite on my cheek with the cold. Picking up the brass was also a pain, literally a pain in the fingers as they stuck to the frozen ground immediately!
I included some pictures of the shooting positions on our local range as an example of how NOT to build them! There are more shots of this on my home page. The benches are concrete and the seats are steel so it is solid but the lack of adjustment and the position makes it impossible to get in a comfortable position. The steel plates overhead and the narrow lane makes the muzzle blast very intense. I imagine they wanted to narrow down the the shooting lane due to the trailer park that is 500 yards directly behind the berm......not the brightest location for a range but the land was donated and the range built and run by the local Pheasants Forever club. The main focus of the club is shotgunning so us rifle and pistol shooters have to take what we get I guess.

LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #43940

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Real Shooting

Wow Jt that is really confined. Real CQB blast. Glad to hear the red dot performed well.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 3 months ago #43943

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Real Shooting

Just got back from the range again :thumbs: Dad went with me today since the temps were a bit more reasonable at 33F, he's 70 now and doesn't deal well with the sub-zero stuff anymore.
Put 80 rounds through the AR-10 between us, the rifle was true to form, I hit 36 out of 40 on the 100 yard dueling tree. Figured out that 7.62 is a bit much for the tree, a hit would either flip three plates or make a single plate bounce right back where it was. The sound of that 150 grain pill slapping steel just can't be beat!
We also split a 100 9mm and a 100 45ACP. I couldn't hit much with dads old S&W 39 but as usual dad hit well with the 39 and my 1911.
You just can't beat time at the range with family! :twothumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 3 months ago #43960

Jt - Sounds like a good time to buy some new steel. The ar500 discs are pretty cheap on ebay right now. I know what you mean about the dueling tree, last year I put some rounds on one from 400m and it still managed to rip one of the discs off at one of the local competitions. I always thought that a outdoor range with overhead radiant heating on the firing line would be a great thing if you could get enough shooters out there. I know I would pay 10 bucks extra.
9 years 3 months ago #43974

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Real Shooting In The COLD

I ran across this blog about training and such in cold weather and thought it had some good points;

ravelingroup.com/wordpress1/winter-weath...in-your-proficiency/
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #44110

Just got back from a early range session with my son and a service member. He had just got a new Kimber and had done very limited shooting. Very cold overcast and windy. So we did not dilly dally. Did some bulls eye and then did some basic drills. Got the service member signed at our club , he gets a free unlimited range pass (all active duty receive this). Life is good, he is hooked on combat style shooting. And will probably start shooting IDPA in the spring.
9 years 3 months ago #44122

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Real Shooting In The COLD

Not to be too critical, because I pack quite a few extra pounds as well, and I also point this finger at myself, but from the picture, the Author's cold weather proficiency and warm weather proficiency could be improved by dropping fifty pounds or so. Other than that, he made some good points.
9 years 3 months ago #44123

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Real Shooting

I need pistol practice bad, I am envious.
:thumbs:
9 years 3 months ago #44124

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Real Shooting In The COLD

I know what you mean, I just tell myself the extra gives me a higher R value :whistle:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #44125

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!