Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Real Shooting

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Real Shooting

Got out yesterday during a lull in the weather. Did a few Farnam drills with the pistols. Have been doing a lot of positional set up and dry fire with the rifles at home. Found that I am really partial to seated firing now that I have become comfortable with that position.
9 years 1 month ago #44276

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Real Shooting

I was having shooting withdrawal, with the weather being so bad, mud or snow and too windy, so I took my wife to a new indoor range nearby. She shot her FN 9mm and I shot a Kimber 45. She did really well and was very happy with her shooting.
I also have been reloading some 308's varying the powder loads and bullets, so when the weather breaks I can see what works best in the AR. Sunny and in the 50's coming all next week, so I hope to get out
I am also trying a new pistol powder (CFE Pistol) for my 45. Sorry I mixed reloading with shooting in this post.
9 years 1 month ago #44295

Sounds like a good idea fox. We should have some good weather next week. I look forward to your range report.
9 years 1 month ago #44296

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Cale307 on topic Real Shooting

Went out Sunday to attempt to zero my scope, after about 40 rounds I was able to get my on paper. I know what your thinking... why so many rounds ? Well after several technical difficulties such as loose scope mounts and cheap ammunition that exploded causing me to pepper several targets. I was finally able to group with in half inch at 100 yards... Mind you I'm still high right but its progress.
9 years 1 month ago #44338

Went out today had to hike half a mile to the line , range roads where closed due to mud. winds where 5-10 from behind and temps where chilly single digit wind chill was cold. Took the sleeping bag to shoot prone off of. Shot a sub 10 on the SH 100m meter challenge. Looking for a sub 5 to post over there. All groups where going good until I had a flyer on the second to the last string. Maybe another try this week or the 500m 10 shot group challenge. With this new load I am shooting in the same hole with regularity, actually feel spoiled. Today did have one five shot .25 group. You can never do that enough. Have been looking for more difficult challenges to avoid slipping. If you have one please post. Soon will have warm weather and then practice for the season will begin in earnest.
9 years 4 weeks ago #44480

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Real Shooting

Got 200 rounds of 5.56 down range today. 120 of it was a MK262 clone load from CBC. This review convinced me to try it;
"I shot and chrono'd some today along with some real "out of a craft brown 20 round boxes" BH Mk262 Mod 1. The Magtech is just as accurate but faster and has a little more recoil than real BH Mk262 Mod 1.

Accuracy was roughly the same I wasn't measuring groups but it was just as accurate as BH Mk262 Mod 1. 18" gun has a 1-4x S&B Short Dot and the 14.5" gun has a 2MOA Aimpoint M4.

Chrono data:

18" BCM SS410 w/BH Mk262 Mod 1 = average velocity 2763fps, extreme spread 38fps
18" BCM SS410 w/Magtech 77gr OTM = average velocity 2778fps, extreme spread 27fps

14.5" BCM BFH Midlength w/BH Mk262 Mod 1 = 2656fps, extreme spread 49fps
14.5" BCM BFH Midlength w/Magtech 77gr OTM = 2670fps, extreme spread 22fps"

I was happy to see all sub MOA groups with this load since I had bought a 1,000 rounds of it, half the price of Black Hills. No over-pressure signs but it felt and ejected like it was on the hot side.
Temps were around 50 but the wind was quartering in at 30-35 so I got some good practice reading the wind and timing the shot. 60 shots at the dueling tree with 60 hits B)
Helped a friend zero a new 17 HMR bolt gun, Marlin I think. The wind didn't seem to bother it much, a pleasant round to shoot but I don't feel the need for it my pack. Seems like a 22LR or 5.56 will cover anything it will do plus a bit more. 22LR definitely punches paper at a cheaper rate!
Heading for dads farm in Nebraska tomorrow. The wife wants to shoot pistols so we'll plink away on the junk yard course with a a few hundred rounds of 9mm and 45ACP.
God it feels good to be back in the free world! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 4 weeks ago #44481

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Real Shooting

Lib,
What load are you using? My AR-10T is a 1/11.25 twist, 20", and I'm shooting 155gr Palma SMK with 46 gts of Varget. My groups vary from .5-1.2 inches at 100yds. Would like to do better.
Jer
9 years 4 weeks ago #44486

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by dm1911 on topic Real Shooting

.5 to 1.2 is not bad what is your shooting position ?
9 years 4 weeks ago #44491

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Real Shooting

Sitting at a solid bench off bags. Smallest 0.5-.75 groups were with the 46 and 49 gr loads which were pretty much equal. The larger groups up to 1.2 inches were 0.5+ gr loads higher or smaller than these 2.
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by JustMe.
9 years 4 weeks ago #44492

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by dm1911 on topic Real Shooting

try using a bench rest pedestal,front
www.midwayusa.com/product/412484/caldwel...cm_vc=ProductFinding

and a sand bag rear
www.midwayusa.com/product/433030/protekt...cm_vc=ProductFinding

ask someone at your range to try it out
( you will never use a sandbag again!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 4 weeks ago #44494

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!