Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Top 3 AR-10's

• Thank you received: 0

Top 3 AR-10's was created by rookie

Greetings! New to the site and looking to purchase my first AR. I was hoping to get peoples opinions on the top 3 rifles to consider for my purchase.

Thanks in advance.
14 years 5 months ago #2464

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

Well this is rare new meat. Welcome aboard. The DPMS and Remington has the stronger frames. Everything else is even on parts and QC. Get what fits your needs you'll change it around and do some mods sooner or later.MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2465

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

Welcome!

What sparks your interest in owning an AR-10? Hunting, self defense, target shooting?

What kind of precision are you looking to get out of the rifle? There are carbine versions, full length, and long heavy barrel target versions available.

What type of sights do you prefer? Are you going to use a reflex sight such as an aimpoint, trijicon, or EOTech? That would determine the A2 or A4 upper receiver style.

A little more info and we can point you in the right direction.
14 years 5 months ago #2466

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

I'm curious about the post from MMSSHH, regarding Remington and DPMS having the strongest frames. I have no basis to agree or disagree, I'm just curious as to the basis of this claim. Is it based on lab testing (ie, shooting to failure or similar), or on some analysis of the design? Does Remington or DPMS claim this for their guns? Just curious.
14 years 5 months ago #2471

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

Well I have to jump in on this one.....being that I want to write an article someday on the top .308 ARs, so with that in mind here is what I have compiled....

Top .308 ARs

ArmaLite
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 5 months ago #2472

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

Building my SASS has a good list. I might add the Fulton Armory Titan product to the list.

To those who question MSH - I spoke to him several months ago and I have done a bit of research. He's been around a long long time. He's been teaching, building, testing AR platform rifles for decades. For example, one of his former students who is now a very well known gunsmith in the AR world, built my 6.8 upper. He keeps a low profile and does not post much on any of the other gun boards any more (at least that I am aware of) but for some reason he's taken a liking to this one. I believe he likes this one because it's small, focused, and not full of a lot of BS posting. He's older (how else do you get all that experience?) and not a computer focused guy which is why he has two different user accounts here (MSH and mmsshh). But he's totally focused on one thing - firearms. To most of us it's not our full time job. For MSH, this is all he thinks about. So when he speaks - listen and listen carefully. Any opinion he gives is always based on data he has collected or witnessed. In my opinion the BS meter for anything MSH posts is ZERO so I always carefully read his posts.

Now this does not mean everything MSH posts is the "right" answer for everyone. For example, he really likes the strength of the DPMS frame. For a custom builder, this makes perfect sense. He knows he can install a great barrel and make it shoot sub MOA no problem. MSH also places a high value on durability. He looks for rifles that can work after shooting many thousands of rounds. But suppose one of the other AR10 brands comes from the factory with a better quality barrel or trigger? For the guy who's just going to buy a stock rifle and shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year, maybe the other brand of rifle will work better for him.

In the end, everyone needs to figure out what works best for them. But one should always consider MSH as a valuable, experienced data source.
14 years 5 months ago #2474

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

Silver, I would have added it to the list, but considering
they are the "Punched out Cadillac" of DPMS I figured I would leave it be on their SASS, they also have a MINI-SASS in .223 as well.
As to MSH, I would have to agree, I have learned alot from his postings and PMed him about some issues a friend was having with his rifle and the info was right on target and the fix was 100%.
What you where saying about choice, as I always like to say......It all comes down to Personal Preference.

BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 5 months ago #2475

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

Hank the DPMS and Remington frames are thicker and don't flex as much. It's like getting a 40X action or a 700 action. Ones more on the custom line and the other is the production line. Silver thanks for the nice words. I need to call Hollinger and whorass him some. I have another student that just finished up in that same area as John that is going to be real good also. His name is Mark Gorden and he has placed an add and pictures on sniper hide. He'll do well.MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2479

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

MSH - I'm glad you replied to Hank's question. I want to clarify that while I have great respect for you, you are not above being asked questions about your comments. On Hollinger - since you mentioned his name, I will clarify for everyone else - MSH's former student who I referred to in my original post is John Hollinger, owner of White Oak Armament. As an aside, I received a customer appreciation Christmas card from the White Oak team yesterday. It was personally signed by John. He's a class act. Oh - I also got a Christmas card from Noveske this week... I wonder where all my money goes...

BMS - OK, I admit I'm biased. I mentioned the Fulton Titan because my first AR15 was a Fulton product. Their shop is about 30 miles from my house. Clint (Fulton's owner) did not offer a 308 AR platform when I bought - so I got an Armalite.
14 years 5 months ago #2488

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Top 3 AR-10's

Interesting comments and opinions. I have no basis to argue one way or the other, just interested in learning more about shootin' irons. Thanks for replies.
14 years 5 months ago #2493

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!