Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

The standard ArmaLite AR-10 is set at 1:11.25 and stated to be 2-2.5 MOA at 100 Y. That barrel is also chrome lined that will diminish your accuracy some also. The ArmaLite barrels that are stainless steel are 1:10 and advertised at 1 MOA at 100 Y.

Can they do better than that? Yes they can. The question is... Can you?

So the big question here is... What do you want the rifle to do?
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
The following user(s) said Thank You: OTTOBOTZ
10 years 10 months ago #25239

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by OTTOBOTZ on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

:thumbs: @jt thanks for your help. I did see that upper for the 300 RSAUM. It is a fat .308 win damn near same characteristics as a 300 win mag. Made for a short action. I kind figured here AR10T favored Armalite and similar ar10s. At least no one were a jerk about it. The Armalite I looked at might have been more than the DPMS, it wasn't the $2800 the P.O.F. they had or $3440 the Christian they had. Sweet rifles, but damn.
10 years 10 months ago #25240

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

I had a LR308 a five years back. That POS would not feed more than two rounds without jamming. Figure this one out, it only did it with the 20 round mags, I had five or six five round mags that were flawless. WOuld feed all five as fast as I could pull the trigger.

DPMS, must have sent fifteen new mags, no help. Tired seven different brands/weights of ammo, as per their suggestions. They replaced the bolt carrier group, the buffer & spring, the entire upper, and finally replaced the entire rifle. All this over about a 14 month period. After that goat rope, I sold it, will never spend a dime on a DPMS.....EVER.

You can have the original, or you can have a hack-job bastardized copy.
Your money, your decision.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 10 months ago #25241

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

Using bullets over 180gn and using RL17 in the 300 RSAUM the RSAUM will surpass the hottest 300 Win Mag win using the same bullet.

Good deal on an RSAUM upper by Accuracy Speaks on Gunbroker

$800+ Scope and upper made by reputable custom shop.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=346887284

Steal at $1300
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by SOC.
10 years 10 months ago #25242

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

SOC and Mr Raley covered it pretty darn well. I had heard about DPMS 19 round mag problem that Faawrenchbender talks about. I have a chrome lined barrel and don't believe it. If I do my part it is 1 MOA. Unless you shoot a lot of 180 gr at distance, I doubt you would notice much difference between 1 in 10 and 1 in 11.5. My 1 in 11.5 Shoots 175 SMK's like a champ. I am biased towards,Armalite or RRA, but I don't have any experience with DPMS, Remington, or Bushmaster, all Cerebrus corp products.
10 years 10 months ago #25245

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

There's absolutely no reason to think that a modern quality chrome lined barrel won't be able to provide you exactly the same accuracy as an unlined barrel. And it will do that while lasting longer and being easier to clean. That's my $0.02 on that.

175 grain bullets are about the maximum that you can stabilize in a 1 in 11.5" twist barrel, within the pressure limits of the AR type 308. (Any hard data about chamber and port pressure limits (if they exist) would be appreciated.)

There are two main differences in .308 Winchester and 7.62x51 Nato chambers (not cartridge cases).

One: The 7.62x51 chamber specifications are looser to accommodate feeding and extraction in adverse conditions.

Two: The 7.62x51 chamber has a longer throat (that is still within specifications) primarily to reduce chamber pressures which may vary based on the origin of the ammunition.

Cartridges marked .308 Winchester will chamber and fire safely in a 7.62x51 chamber. If you plan on reloading the cases, size them using a full length small base sizing die so that they will be returned to factory specifications and feed smoothly from a magazine and into the chamber of the next gun you fire them in. Surplus 7.62x51 ammunition can be used safely in .308 Winchester chambers IF the throat is not cut to absolute minimum length.

Manufacturers have a lot of lee-way in how short or long they can cut the throat on a .308 Winchester barrel while still being within SAMMI specifications. It doesn't make sense to cut a throat long enough to accommodate 180 grain bullets in a barrel with a 1 in 12" twist. You can't normally get the velocity out of them to stabilize with that twist rate. For a rifle barrel with a 1 in 10" twist rate, they'll cut the throat to the minimum required length to allow chambering of cartridges loaded to magazine length with these longer and heavier bullets. Both of these practices have the same purpose in mind: a shorter jump to the lands generally means greater accuracy.

That's the reason that .308 Winchester chambers are tighter, shorter (on the order of thousandths of an inch), and have shorter throats. It's accuracy potential. Sporting rifles are expected to be accurate enough to kill game humanely with a well placed shot and win matches. Military rifles are generally just made to be able to hit a man sized target at a minimum range specified by the armed force in question. Humane kills aren't on their list of concerns. Also, sporting rifles are not chambered with the possibility in mind of having to endure long strings of full automatic fire, or having to fire ammunition mass-produced at a possibly foreign military arsenal, especially in a fouled chamber.

If a 7.62x51 marked cartridge won't chamber in your .308 Winchester marked barrel, and you're really insistent on firing it:

Get out your seating die, and push the bullet on that 7.62x51 cartridge in a few thousandths. Military shooting teams have been known to do this for use in service rifle competitions, but it has more to do with breaking the sealant used between the bullet and case mouth in order to get more uniform neck tension on issued ammunition.

Thank you for reading. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, magi
10 years 10 months ago #25255

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

Thanks for the correction, it was a 19 round mag. At the time,I was happy with it, when I shot it with the five round mags. But after 14 months of BS with DPMS, I was done for good.

Doesn't
Provide
Military
Spec
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 10 months ago #25256

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 10 months ago #25261

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

I admit I am harsh at times and come out with strong comments.

But I ask that question in pure honesty...

And the reason I say that is this...

I do not know your abilities.
I do not know what you will be shooting.
I do not know how well you take care of your firearms.
I do not know what the weather will be outside when you go shooting.
I do not know if the ammunition that you will be using will be quality ammunition.
I do not know if the stars will align that day or not.

So now you see the list of variables that are there and there are probably more. So to me that was a legitimate question. That is also why I asked "
I understand there is always a lot to learn and I always try to make sure I do learn something.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
10 years 10 months ago #25264

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

I don't think you are harsh, you are quite straight forward, but you comment/question is a very powerful statement that few truly understand.

Unless you are an obsessive target shorter and nothing wrong there, but for most of us the target is just a pie plate, mans head, or chest, deers head or chest, not matter the man or game if you can hit a pie plate on a regular basis at 100 yds you are going win against the enemy or put game on the table. Certainly hunting Muley deer in W Tex or Dall Ram in Canada is going to offer a new set of long range challenges or bing a sniper on some killing field but those are a few, not the many.

Take away: My days of accuracy at 1 moa or less are long gone and the effort to chase that again is not worth to me. But I can still nail a pie plate at a 100 yds. For me buying a $4500 dollar scope or some bbl rifled by 72 virgins and made out of UnObtainium only brings some bragging rights of my purchase not my results.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 10 months ago #25265

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!