Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

Most everyone I know that has "retired" and did nothing with their time only lasted a few short years. I had a couple occasions that I was forced to lay around for months at a time, most miserable I've ever been!
From begging to end life should be full of, well LIVING! :dance:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightForce
9 years 10 months ago #39511

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

You are right on Sisco, sitting around, drinking is NOT my lifestyle. Like you I am so busy I don't have time for a job, LOL. Actually I do own a company, its successful and growing which takes more time than I want to give, but a few years working at it and I will sell it.

Wife and I are doing something outside the home almost 7 days a week here, Rotary club and I volunteer teach computer science etc etc etc to the point a day at home is a breath of fresh air..
9 years 10 months ago #39518

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

Amen on that brother! :thumbs:

After 43 years of continuous employment I find myself UNEMPLOYED and I'm going nuts.... My brain stem is more than sufficient to handle all the projects I have going on around home but my brain feels like it's turning to oatmeal....or what ever cereal you like.. :banghead:
9 years 10 months ago #39519

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

Not to worry my friend, you are a smart guy and it will sort out for you for the better...
9 years 10 months ago #39520

Replied by NightForce on topic Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

Thanks Cowboy! :thumbs:
9 years 10 months ago #39521

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

:I-agree:
Now is the time to find your overriding passion in life and go to it! If it is building 308AR's go for it. For me it was defending the Great Lakes Sport Fishery from environmental and invasive specie encroachments. Although the AR thing sounds kinda fun.
To jump threads, a friend just went to the Corvette Performance driving school in Las Vegas. When my back gets sorted out I am gonna do it!
9 years 10 months ago #39523

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Weather in Your Area & General Conversation Thread

:I-agree: me to! I've always been amazed how things seem to work out for those that try hard and keep positive. For me turning my passion for antique tools into a business got me through several years. Just when the economy turned south and ruined that endeavor a hail Mary email I sent led to a garbled cell phone call that got me the job I have now,that and some solid advice from all my friends here made a BIG difference in landing this job as well!
You just never know what the big guy has in mind! Always forward friend! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 10 months ago #39528

I can look back on life and make some observations: I certainly have not led a charmed life. Like anyone else there have been ups, downs and some day no elevator at all. The stories I could tell...but as I look back no matter how bad it seemed at the time, no matter how some company jerked me around or some boss who hated my guts because I rode a Harley, when the dust settled and would go around to all of them, look them in the eye and tell them, thanks because you were ________________ (jerk, azzhole, lied etc etc) the result was I landed in a far better place, made more money, had more happiness and the sun shone brighter in my world.

No I never made millions that was not what drove me, besides if I did I would have spent it and given most away anyhow. I have had some many careers not sure I can count them all, each one has been good to both in $$$ and satisfaction, but something caused me to go in another direction. Much of the time I fought it, then one day:

There I was staying in some Holiday Hotel out in California IIRC, I woke up and stared at myself in the mirror and said Happy Birthday to me, I was 40 years old. My wife had left me after only a few months of marriage for some guy she met at work. I had gotten out of the Army after almost 10 years as I had had enough of Infantry BS. I had just got fired from a lousy job by a jerk with a massive ego. WHY, he caught me working on my resume. Told me if I was wanting a new job I could start today and fired me on the spot, then jerked my resume out of the typewriter and said you are going to use this one. It was summer and I need some Reserve time so called up the Army Reserve and told the guy I need some reserve time. We get to talking and he tells asks me if I can go for longer than 2 weeks? I say sure, just got left by the wife, got fired from the job, got no kids, tell me where and when. I rolled out of my home in Dallas and rolled by in about 3 years later. Had driven my Jeep 139,000 miles traveling all over the US. I was back in Dallas to gather up all my gear and head out to Ft Monroe, Va where a 3 star General has fired a DA civilian, a Army Officer and wanted to try a Reservist on a special IT project he had. I brought it in on time on budget and working properly. He called me into the office, thanked me for a great job and asked if I would come back on active duty to do IT work. I said sure, I retied 9 years later.

That is just one of many twists and turns in life. Life always got better, never worse.

So whatever spot you are in I will bet money and promise you the sun is gonna shine, be open to new, take that lemon and make lemonade.
9 years 10 months ago #39561

Some advice from General Casey:

“Don’t sell yourself short,” Casey said. He recalled a recent survey in which CEOs said they wanted employees who could solve complex problems, work as a team, demonstrate a strong work ethic and practice good values. “Any of that sound familiar to you? That’s you,” Casey said. “So use that, and above all, believe in yourselves.” More of his tips to help you shine as a civilian:

“Learn to ask for and accept help.” After years of taking and giving orders to accomplish a greater goal, asking for assistance for yourself can feel awkward. “Get over it,” Casey said. “There are all kinds of people out there — at the university, in the veterans administration, in the local community — that are looking to help.”

“Build and use a network.” There are social networking sites, business networking sites, even networking sites specifically for veterans to connect with other veterans, Casey said. “So get connected, stay connected, and when you’re ready, give back a little bit, and help some of the others.”

“Stay fit.” Veterans come from “a culture of fitness” in the military, and they should be sure to maintain that when they transition to civilian life and even set the example for others.

“Be bold.” Be skeptical of any no-risk propositions, Casey said. “It’s all trial and error. ... And when you read biographies of some of these successful businessmen, they all have a few swings and misses. And you’re not going to be successful unless you take a shot at it.”
9 years 10 months ago #39562

Cowboy,

Thank you for sharing some of your life with the rest of us. :thumbs:

All of us here are smart and I have have to say with age comes wisdom. I think that the shock of being unemployed is more traumatic than the event itself. We have a lifetime of knowledge and experience to fall back on, sort of a living resume.

Personally, I'm in great shape at 6'-1" 220 pounds. Could I afford to drop a few and get back to my fighting weight of 200, sure and I probably will.

Me a couple of months ago cutting and splitting some wood.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I'm strong and a survivor. I've been on my own since I was 18 years old. Reading others life stories are inspiring to say the least and much appreciated.. :usa:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
9 years 10 months ago #39568

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!