Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bushmaster BAR-10

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re:Bushmaster BAR-10

I use RCBS small base X-dies and a Lee factory crimp die on my Dillon 550B. I set the crimp die to a light crimp just for my own peace of mind-a semi-auto does a lot of slambanging around when it operates and I don't want a bullet shoved into the case during feeding cycle. I know the crimp is really un-necessary but I do it anyway.

I load all my ammo to maximum mag length minus about .010". 2.790" if I remember correctly-I'm at work and can't reference it at the moment.

My regular utility/practice load (and the load the gun will be loaded with when I grab it for zombies, SHTF, etc) uses 145gr FMJ's from Widener's. I use 42 gr of SURPLUS 4895 (allegedly the same as IMR4895), mixed brass primed with CCI #34 mil primers. 42 gr of TAC gives me identical groups and POI.

They group pretty well (.75" to 1.5" with 5 shots) when I take the time to sort my brass by headstamp and make sure the flash hole is de-burred inside the case. I also sometimes weigh each bullet and seperate them into lots when I'm working up new loads. I usually get anywhere from 144.2 gr to about 146.
12 years 5 months ago #9124

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by mananto on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Thank you for the info. Do you have to use the CCI #34 mil primers.
12 years 5 months ago #9132

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

I have shot thousands of rounds thru ARs with no slamfire issues. I only just recently started using mil primers--so I would say you're perfectly safe using regular large rifle primers. You need to start out low and work your load up looking for pressure signs. CCI states on their website that their military primers are equivalent to magnum primers so going to regular primers will change the load. Probably not enough to notice.
12 years 5 months ago #9133

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by mananto on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Great, thanks again. When you ever do a hunting load for the AR10, (.308), let me know how you did and with what. Thanks again, will be getting my stuff this Monday at Dongs for my new loads.
12 years 5 months ago #9151

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re:Bushmaster BAR-10

Good Lord! A feeding frenzy!

I wondered what happened to those guys. You think you're buying a name brand gun, and then you find out it was made by Pepsi Co!

The same thing happened in the beer industry; everything that isn't owned by AB/Inbev is owned by Carlsburg/Heineken.

Sheesh!
Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 5 months ago #9195

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re:Bushmaster BAR-10

I was wondering if the BAR-10 had anything to do with Browming or just coping another name ;)
AKAI
12 years 5 months ago #9261

BAR10=Bushmaster AR10
Nothing to do with Browning.
It was the original AR10 clone that used FN FAL magazines. That design was passed on to Rock River, who improved on that design and sell them today. They have a pretty good reputation for accuracy, and I love my old Bushmaster. The only problems I have with mine stem from the magazines themselves.
12 years 5 months ago #9262

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Oh. When I saw BAR10 I thought we were talking about the FN AR ("Descending from the legendary Browning Automatic Rifle"). I considered buying one (was before I discovered the AR-10), and generally speaking I like FN products, but something about the FN AR put me off.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 5 months ago #9263

I think you can't really go wrong with AR10 and AR15 type rifles long as you don't try to go bargain basement. Get a cheap one and you'll likely spend the money you saved making it work properly.

I don't know anything about the FN AR, is it based on the Armalite platform or is it another unrelated acronym like BAR?

There are 2 very different Browning BAR's as well--the familiar sporting semiauto used for deer hunting and the M1918BAR of WW1 and WW2 fame. M1918 is a full auto 30-06 that uses 20 rd mags and served as a light machine gun.
12 years 5 months ago #9264

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Sorry Guys just a little sarcastic at times: Mags-clips? BAR= Browning Automatic Rifles AR in any form= Armalite and no offense to anyone! B) But do check out the attachments
AKAI
12 years 5 months ago #9265

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!