Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bushmaster BAR-10

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Levijean2486 on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Thank you for all your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: donaldrumsfeld
11 years 9 months ago #11919

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by donaldrumsfeld on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Bushmaster urgently needed in subsaharan african Sahel,terrorist animals to cure
11 years 9 months ago #11929

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

donaldrumsfeld, So what can we do to help? I'm pretty sure mailing you a bushmaster would only end up with one or both of us in jail. I can't get the ammo I want for it here so no help there. Wouldn't it be more practical to go with the AK platform, at least as far as logistics are concerned?
I spent a short time reading about recent drought and political strife in your area of Africa. Keep spreading the word because the media isn't. We'll be thinking of you, hope you get the tools you need.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 9 months ago #11930

I just mounted my nikon 3-9x40 and tested my burris qd ar-pepr mount. and at 100 yards i got this group. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for a better grouping. i did these on improvised sand (bags of those aqua rocks that you put in an aquarium) bags on a bench. The bags kept slipping around so that might be a problem but the grouping is still decent. Just for reference i have a bar-10 and 16" barrel with standard flash hider. 1 GROUP AT 100YDS
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Levijean2486.
11 years 9 months ago #11935

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Yes it sounds as if you may need to fix the bags slipping around. The closer to your mag well you rest the gun, the less amount of effect the handguards will have on the barrel.

If your gun still has the old single stage standard trigger, I suggest you replace it with a Rock River 2-stage (the new RRA's come with this 2-stage trigger) or at least smooth the contact surfaces on the trigger/hammer for a better pull. There are tutorials for just about everything on the internet-a lot on youtube and ar15.com. I DO NOT recommend you do any modifications on your trigger/hammer springs. Your gun takes a standard AR15 trigger group, so they're easy to find.

I have found the GREATEST gain in group size/consistency/accuracy is to reload your own ammo and work up a load that your gun likes. If you don't reload, you'll need to buy several different kinds of ammo and determine which one does best in your gun. Federal Gold Medal Match seems to do well in just about every gun out there. Hornady ammo seems to be very accurate in my AR15's but haven't tried it in my 308.

When I shoot for groups, I go ahead and warm the barrel up with about 10 rounds of junky ammo so I won't be contending with the issue of the barrel warming up and changing my point of impact. Try to make every shot exactly the same as the last one-anything you change will make a change on the target.
11 years 9 months ago #11939

I'm trying to get good consistent group out to about 300 yards. I'm not trying to have a match rifle or anything I will probably try to play with 500 at the most but making that would not matter much to me. With that in mind trying to build a practical rifle for use at the range or in the woods would it benefit me to have a bipod and to buy a 20" barrel. I plan to free float the barrel anyway but whats better to shoot from bipod or bags? thank you for your help.
11 years 9 months ago #11940

I've never used a bipod. If you do, don't attach it to the barrel, attach it to your free-float handguard.

All my advice before still stands-it's the most basic I can give for better groups. Especially about the ammo with the trigger running a close second.

A shorter barrel will be more accurate than a longer one, all else being equal. They are stiffer and don't flex as much when you shoot. But a longer barrel will get you more velocity, which you need for longer range shooting. I consider 20" to be the max you would benefit from though.
11 years 9 months ago #11945

I bought some RRA polymer mags for my BAR10 and they work flawlessly. I DID have to do some fitting-the mags were very tight in the mag well. I had to work down the fwd and aft sides of the mag where it inserts into the well. I used a pocketknife to scrape away a little plastic here and there, and also worked down a raised pad that RRA said I may have to remove for some applications. The mags came with a note showing the pad that may require work.

Took me about 30 minutes to fit 3 mags. Now they drop free and feed flawlessly, much smoother than my FAL mags. I will most likely purchase more soon, and use my FAL mags for backup only.
11 years 8 months ago #12091

Still no parts from RRA??????
11 years 7 months ago #12320

Replied by ZEEK62 on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

buy matched grade bullets and only shoot the same kind of ammo you can keep changing ammo and get the same groups i use federal match grade serria 168 grain for my ar10 308 and my savage 308 sniper rifle i can get better groups at 200 yards you need the good sand bags buy the sand bags that cost more money there worth it thats why the cost more because they work better i bought a cheap pair of sand bags and i hate them im going to buy better sand bag when i get the money i cant tell you a name of a kind of bags but i have used them and it holds the barrel so much better without moving the rear bag is not as important as the front bag they front bag is where you get the better shoots. but sticking with the matched grade bullets and the same grain will get you where you want to be i use a green laser to sight my rifles in just to hit the target it works pretty good dont buy the red laser there not as good then use a lead slead to get the rifle sigted in to two inches above the bullseye and that is just about where you want your rifle to be sighted into i only have a 100 yard range but when i go to my friends place he has targets up to 800yars thats how i check my two inches over the bulleye and i shoot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards but i have a twenty inch barrel i also have alot strong scope a 3x9x40 is for close range i have my two best scopes is a 10x24x30mm and 10x32xx30mm if you want to shoot stright get a good scope with a side focus i have a sightron scope and im telling you there the best scopes for the price i have leupold scopes and i like the sightron better but get a 300 mm scope with at least 24x power with side focus look the up im telling you its the best scope you can buy without spending $3500 hundred dollars. i am a sniper on a low buget and thats they way to kill zombies double tap to the head. my name is skip and my email is zeek62@aol.com if you need more help send me a email that i will be able to understand who you are and what you need 15 years i have been shooting the 10 ring. keep shooting stright talk to you latter have fun. use federal you can go wrong!!!!!!!!! you need a twenty inch barrel to shoot stright and far 16 inch is for close quarter battle not long distance. i hope this helps and other people keep shooting stright talk to you latter
11 years 7 months ago #12322

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!